Honda S2000 - Credit Hire issues 18 months after accident - Jungle Tim

18 months ago someone reversed into my car (Honda S2000). Damage was not massive but car was being repaired for about a week as it required parts and respray etc. I signed a credit hire agreement at the time (before I had done any research) and received a new Alfa Romeo GT as a replacement. Repairs were done and car handed back. 18 months on and I've now received a letter from Albany Assistance who are dealing with it on behalf of Bell Insurance that the 3rd party insurer is refusing to pay the car hire costs of about £1200. I then received letters from a "paralegal" on behalf of a solicitor saying that the case was going to the small claims court so I should sign this and that and co-operate etc. I'm completely bewildered and worried about what I may be asked to pay for when I had no blame in the accident. I have not yet been in touch with the solicitor because I don't want anything to do with it but how do I make sure I don't get stung for solicitor's fees on top? It's a scandal that this can even happen to an innocent, insured person. Help!

Thanks.

Tim.

Honda S2000 - Credit Hire issues 18 months after accident - Mapmaker

£1,200 for a week's hire... No wonder our insurance premiums are so high! Didn't it say on the contract how much it was costing?

£1,200 for a week's hire... No wonder our insurance premiums are so high! Didn't it say on the contract how much it was costing?

Yes but at the time it hadn't occured to me that it was particularly high as I wasn't paying. With hindsight I won't be doing that again but that doesn't help my current situation.

Edited by Jungle Tim on 25/06/2010 at 18:31

Honda S2000 - Credit Hire issues 18 months after accident - mike123mike

1200 for one week. not been funny but thats taking the p***. my car is getting a new engine under warranty finally now and i got car hire for 11 days for less than 300.00.

Honda S2000 - Credit Hire issues 18 months after accident - LucyBC

There is a requirement to mitigate costs in any claim but you are entitled to a credit hire after a non-fault claim if your car is sufficently damaged to put you off the road or is effectively unusable. If the car is usable the entitlement to credit hire will normally only cover the period while the vehicle is undergoing repair.

What has probably happened here is the other side has queried the bill.

Effectively the dispute is between you and the third party so if Albany sues they have to sue the other party in your name. To do that they obviously need your cooperation and as part of the credit hire agreement you would be required to cooperate with them in any legal action. They will foot the costs including those of the solicitor.

If you don't cooperate you will have breached the contract and potentially they can recover from you.

In most cases issuing proceeedings is enough to encourage the other side to settle. There are well established rules around settlement of credit hire bills as well as agreed rates that an insurer will pay.

Providing you have not exceeded the time in which you can have been shown to have needed the car -- and that Albany have complied on the rates which is likely -- the claim will be settled at no financial risk to you but you will need to sign the documentation and send it back and cooperate fully in the claims process.

Thanks Lucy that's reassuring to hear. I'll report back when this develops.

Tim

Honda S2000 - Credit Hire issues 18 months after accident - runnerbean14

I had a big run-in with Albany earlier this year in similar circumstances when I refused to sign the 'statement of mitigation of loss' that they require from the hirer to enable them to claim that their outrageous charges should be paid by the other party's insurer. When I brought some pressure to bear via my own insurers it transpired that they have a two-tier rate system going - one tier where claims are paid direct under some Insurance Code of Practice and another, higher, tier where the terms of the credit hire arrangement mean that they can get away with it. Don't give in - their business practices are little short of extortion and put up insurance bills for everyone.

In principle credit hire is a good idea (like no-win-no-fee - aka conditional fee agreements) as it has provided a service to people who might otherwise be disadvantaged because they don't have the money available to pay for the service.

Furthermore the courts have broadly accepted that the non-fault driver (whatever his/her means) should not be expected to fork out in advance to cover the costs of obtaining a replacement vehicle at their own expense with the uncertain prospect of claiming the cost of doing so back from a very large corporation (perhaps by court action and at great expense) at some distant future date.

The problem is that some charlatans are about.

As a result the Association of British Insurers (ABI) set out a protocol to deal with credit hire claims.

Most insurers (and credit hirers) now comply with this - a few (on both sides) do not.

What is particularly interesting is that the vast majority of Credit Hire disputes I see have been referred to the credit hirer or "accident manager" (as they prefer it) by their own insurer and it is a dark secret of the insurance industry that there is usually a substantial "referral fee" involved.
Honda S2000 - Credit Hire issues 18 months after accident - Mapmaker

Lucy

I was under the impression that the courts were only awarding costs for credit hire when the victim of the crash was unable to pay for car hire themselves. Therefore the punitive rates charged by credit hire was acceptable for the poor/unemployed, but not for the rich - who were required to pay for car hire themselves, and claim the money back (possibly with interest) in due course.

Has this changed?

Edited by Mapmaker on 12/07/2010 at 17:06

Books could be written on the subject as cases have been rumbling around the courts for the last decade.

But the current core guidance as to whether credit hire charges are enforceable follows from two Accident Exchange cases - Barker and Barker v First West Yorkshire Limited (2007) and Corbett v Gaskin (2007)* which mean (broadly) that credit Hire charges are enforceable providing they fall within agreed ABI rates.

On the income/assets issue it comes down to the legal concept of "impecuniosity".

The courts broadly accept that no matter how much money you have insurers cannot ask you to work on a "pay and claim" basis if you could reasonably show that the money you were being asked to spend was being deprived from you - which would clearly be the case. It is not necessary for you to prove that it was being earmarked for something else.

The key guidance in this is from Lagden v O'Connor (2004) when it was clarified that "in the present context, impecuniosity signifies an inability to pay car hire charges without making sacrifices, which the plaintiff could not reasonably be expected to make" and "lack of financial means is almost always a question of priorities".

Insurers will occasionally chance their arm on the "impecuniosity" issue threatening to demand bank statements and credit card bills etc. but it is almost always part of a negotiating tactic to reduce the bill and cases never seem get to court.

*[Corbett v Gaskin was certainly not a total victory for the credit hirers. Mr Corbett was found by the courts to be an astute businessman who could have obtained his vehicle (a Jaguar XJ8) for £30,000 less than the bill sent in by the credit hirers and the judge awarded them spot rates.]