VW Golf MK4 Automatic 1997 (P Reg) - Help with my amazing (if strangely humorous) FAIL - thriftyman

Hi all. Lovely forum you have here

Just need some help with probably the most daft mistake I could have made.

I have a VW Golf MK4 Automatic.

I opened the door and put the keys on the dash.

I put my luggage in the back.

I shut the back door.

The vibrations then caused the keys to slide down the dashboard and into a mysterious place in the right hand side of the front window.

Now i tried a pipe-cleaner / stick up the side trim to try and hook them out and unscrewing the plastic below the steering wheel. Ideally I need the top of the dashboard off.

Has anyone any answers?

Cheers all

VW Golf MK4 Automatic 1997 (P Reg) - Help with my amazing (if strangely humorous) FAIL - Avant

Might be worth driving over a bumpy road and seeing if they fall down any further, so that you could get them out by unscrewing the bottom part of the dash plastics.

VW Golf MK4 Automatic 1997 (P Reg) - Help with my amazing (if strangely humorous) FAIL - acornarms

hi

if you can see the keys try a magnet to hook them out or if belonging to any breack down service call them to try and get them out

VW Golf MK4 Automatic 1997 (P Reg) - Help with my amazing (if strangely humorous) FAIL - Gregory II

You might be able to try a magnetic stick with a retractable top - a bit like an antenna on a radio;

VW Golf MK4 Automatic 1997 (P Reg) - Help with my amazing (if strangely humorous) FAIL - oilrag

Welcome to the forum, Thriftyman.

If you can`t get a magnet ended rod down due to the ridgidity - I would epoxy adhesive a strong magnet onto a length of strong string and lower that down.

Please let us know how you resolve it ;-)

Edited by oilrag on 24/06/2010 at 22:32