VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - passattgirl

Hello boys I am needing some help in easy girl speak please to put together an argument with VW. I have had my 56 plate 2007 car 4 months and it has broken down twice. The problem was the fuel injector and it had to be replaced. Fortunately the VW technichian was a top guy and put the case foward to have it replaced under goodwill other wise it was going to be 800 pounds. Three weeks later my car has broken down again and guess what..same problem.. different injector. The technichian has tried to get VW to agree to replacing all 3 at no cost but they will only pay to replace the current faulty one and I have to pay 50% of the other 2 if they replace them.. As far as I am concerened there is a problem here and if it was a pair of shoes you would say they were part of a faulty batch!! What do you think. I am no technicial girl but having googled and read this forum I pick up this is a problem and dont understand why the vehicles weren´t recalled. Do you think I have a case to get it done for free. Opinions most appreciated. I am worried that I could have an accident now as the vehicle on both occasions just shut down with no warning leaving me seconds to pull in and if it happened on the outside lane of a motorway it could be a different ending next time.

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - elekie&a/c doctor

I can understand your predicament.The injectors fitted to this car are the latest technology peizo type that operate at high speed to improve fuel economy.However ,there have been a few issues with the electronic part suffering an internal short circuit and causing them to fail.Unfortunately when this happens the complete system shuts down and the engine stops.As to whether all the injectors need replacing is a difficult question but as they cost over £500 each I would try and push VW a little harder for a better % contribution as I would regard this car as unreliable.hth

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - passattgirl

Hi Thanks for this info. I will let you know how I get on.

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - Anxious

Faulty VW Fuel Injectors

Like the above driver, while driving my 07 VW Passat Estate I suffered a sudden, complete loss of power which resulted in the car changing in two seconds from travelling at 60 mph to round about 20 mph. The car was taken to the garage and I had to have a new fuel injector. It was under warranty at the time.

VW told me that this was a one-off and wouldn’t happen again. As we have another Passat I was concerned whether that could also be blighted by this fault and was assured that this was very unlikely to occur at all in any VW.

However, an independent dealer has informed me that this is not a one off with VW / Audi at all and is rife amongst the new breed of turbo diesels. He also said that the cost of replacing one of these four fuel injectors is about £1200 if not under warranty (and one by one they can all go).

Now, I know that I can take out extra insurance for extended warranty. Expensive as it adds about £400 per annum to the cost of the car, but nonetheless the option is there. Between us we have owned eleven VW’s in our time. We buy them as we think they are good quality, good value and reliable. Therefore, maybe we should be philosophical and say they have done us well and been good value for money so let’s not get too upset about it.

However, what is deeply concerning is the sudden, potentially fatal loss of power. What would I think if I had a policeman come and knock on my door and tell me my spouse had been killed in a head on collision whilst overtaking? I would know instantly that the cause was a catastrophic loss of power, resulting in this mortality.

Therefore, I am nervous about driving a VW in case this should happen. But that is not all. Speaking to this independent dealer, I discover that Ford have the same problem and reading the July issue of What Car I see on page 106 that this has been happening to Mercedes as well.

So, even if you do not drive any of these cars whose to say that you may not meet one when they are overtaking and suddenly find yourself in a head on collision as they have suffered a sudden calamitous loss of power.

The poor quality of manufacturing today comes as no surprise with cut-throat competition and although I don’t like it, lower standards is the price we pay for relatively cheaper goods. However, I am troubled by the deadly nature of this fault and feel from that point of view that these companies should be recalling their cars and refitting them, although with what I don’t know as I guess all these new fuel injectors are potentially faulty.

Needless to say, I expect that any fatalities due to this are not exposed as the car is too damaged to prove what the cause was, so the companies can neatly side step that issue.

I would be very very interested to hear from other people if they have suffered the same sudden loss of power, and what make of car they have and how old it is.

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - galileo

Like the problems with particulate filters, exhaust gas recirculation valves which are now happening to diesel cars, the common root cause is the need to meet EU emission standards which have now reached phase V.

These emission standards and the emphasis on claimed fuel economy figures are what has driven engine manufacturers to common-rail, EGR , DPF and piezo injectors.

There is no such thing as a free lunch; if you want high performance AND economy this is the way it is done, the downside is the high cost of repairs.

Thank you for explaining that.

The problem, in my case, is that I didn't ask for better performance or economy. I just bought another Passat, only to find it dangerous. The previous ones worked perfectly well without the risk.

It appears to me that someone hasn't got their priorities right - sadly

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - oilrag

Modern diesels....

I think there`s a good argument for selling cars like this - choosing a fuel consumption that is tolerable for a petrol car and then downsizing to that.

PassatGirl - The robust simplicty of diesels has gone - I hope you get it sorted, but if it`s had two breakdowns with injector issues in the 4 months you`ve had it - you can bet that`s why the previous owner moved it on.

Incidentally - we sold one of our diesels (Fiat) when faced with a £1,200 high pressure fuel pump failure and bought a much simpler 1.1 petrol Panda to get the required MPG. If our other diesel gives any hint of expensive trouble, I will do the same with that.

I suspect quite a few people are doing the same and these faulty cars then appearing on forecourts - either directly, or after going through auction.

oilrag

Edited by oilrag (Moderator) on 27/07/2010 at 17:45

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - gordonbennet

I remember some time ago you were interested in one of these Oily, phew glad you missed that one.

This whole Diesel technology thing is getting out of hand in my humble, last time i had a set of injectors overhauled it was £40 cash the lot for my Renault 21 Savanna, bought the correct injector socket undid the pipes and hey presto they were out in minutes, no worse a job than changing a set of spark plugs.

Have to agree with Oily up to a point regarding petrol being a choice again, though there are one or two Diesels for sale that manage to run quite happily without either DMF or DPF, one notable is the Kia Ceed 1.6d, 7 year warranty to boot including injectors.

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - oilrag

You have a much broader knowledge of the range of diesel vehicles and their characteristics than I do GB.

Kia would be no good for me though, because the 7yr warranty would choke me. I can barely tolerate letting someone else touch our Fiats for the first warranty service - and usually do the second year service myself - potentially abandoning the warranty from that point on.

Yes, I was wondering around one of those mega retail sites again the other week looking at all the big diesels - in particular Passat`s - lined up.

I put my head underneath and see the neglect of the frames - and then you get that X- ray vision mentality where you can visualize all the potential concerns - from a mental image of less than perfect bores and shells - through to camshaft surfaces, (worries, perhaps unfounded over long life oil changes) misfueling damage the possibilty that someones driven it in a way that damages the DMF - or even been slipping the clutch at lights.

If I found one where someone had at least put a hose on the frames now and then it might be encouraging - but I`ve never seen that despite putting my head under dozens of cars.

Of course, the van being worth only £1,500 focusses the mind too ;-)

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - Peter.N.

If you want a reliable diesel, stick to one made in the '90s - I do.

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - madf

If you want a reliable diesel, stick to one made in the '90s - I do.

Or buy Toyota..

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - cyclingjim
Dear Anxious,
I have very recently experienced an almost instant loss of power in my '06 Passat TDi saloon which turned out to be due to be due to a faulty fuel injector.
I was initially concerned that this occurred without any warning whatsoever and in fact the car had just driven superbly for over 1000mls of holiday travel. However, I had not considered the potentially disasterous consequences of such a fault occurring when overtaking.
I entirely agree that such faults warrant a recall but given the cost (approx. £600 for one injector with wiring, in my case) this is unlikely.
I am now at an age when overtaking is something I don't do that often but I thank you for alerting me to this possibility.

Many thanks, cyclingjim.

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - Ducis

yes this has happened twice to me, the latest being yesterday eve whilst overtaking on the dual carriageway, car just died on, could have had a fatality.

Bought Passat tdi 2.0 56 plate in dec 2009 and the fuel injector went in feb 10 - lucky I had rac warranty however they would only pay £800 and the garage where I bought the car paid the rest - this car has only 23K on the clock, as I said last nite another injecter blew and I am preparing for another battle with VW - this is a major problem

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - hdosanjh

Hi I have an 05 passat one of my injectors went, and wiring loom was changed, and now the light is back on (engine management) I know I'm going to have to spend a fortune fixing this I have no choice as nobody is going to purchase it either!!! Surely VW should pay for this?

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - pamian123

Hi i also had the same problem 2.0 TDI 07 estate 65000 on the 18/11/2010 pulled into fast lane passing several lorries suddenly without warning lost all power and slowed very quickly i managed to dodge between the traffic and stopped on the hard shoulder,the AA towed me to a vw garage with a suspected injector problem I was told it was a common problem with this make and model.The following day i received a call to say all fixed injector 2 had failed and been replaced and as i had had the car regularly serviced with vw they would cover the cost as a goodwill gesture.Today i contacted my local vw garage and asked a few questions I was told it is a known fault but you cant get them replaced they have to fail first...........how exciting i now have to travel knowing that i will probably experience the same again......lovely.I was told they probably will fail and possibly other components because of this.

Sorry to be the burden of bad news but it sounds as though once you have clocked 55-60k this is to be expected.

I would have thought knowing this vw would have issued a recall.

Would like to hear of anyone else having this problem

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - zee

I have a similar problem with my VW PASSAT 2.0 SE TDI 56 plate. three months ago it came up with engine management light and i took it to VW and having done the diagnostics done they told me there is some electrical circuit issue and it might just go if u drive so i did and week after it got cut off in the middle of the road and nearly escaped a fatal collision. i took it to a local dealer as vw was too far away from where i broke down. he charged me £1100 for changing injector #3, battery, wiring loom and labour and kept the car for 4 weeks.

Now i have been to the same garage for 3 times with the same problem and now given up as hes just meesing me around and problem still being the same.

Last month i took it to the same VW dealer and they said we'll diagnose it and let you know what the problem is and then if u agree, we'll fix it. So as arraged they called me week after telling me there is fault with your wiring loom and thats needs replacing and will cost £280 so i agreed on assurance that it would resolve the problem. Advisor also mentioned that injector #1 also showed up but we've checked it and that is working fine so i said go ahead and do it so i would have a bill of £50 diagnostic and £280 for repairs but 3 days later they rang me up saying oh car is mis firing and it appears that u need a new injector replacing #1. it will cost me another £800 towards the total bill.

Now this is outrageous i dont know where to go frm here as i dont turst if i spend this £800 and 2 weeks down the line im up for this same problem again.

Is this normal for dealers to tell customers repair cost in this manner or can i make any complaint for them to stick to their original word.

Can any one offer any suggestions if been though similar situation.

I'm afraid I can't help at all regarding advice but just wanted to say how sorry I was to hear of your problems. £800 is an enormous amount of money and there are, of course, 4 fuel injectors, should the others decide to go as well!

Then, for me the worry is if they go at an awkward time like overtaking or when pulling out at a roundabout when you have to be quick or you'll get hit.

Good luck

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - insurance girl

Hi all

I too had an injector problem back in June 2010. I was pulling away in traffic and the car just cut out with warning 'Workshop Attention' or something like that. Our Passat is 2005 on a 55 plate.

The diagnosed problem was No. 3 injector. I had a discussion with a work colleague (I work in motor insurance claims and have access to engineers) about my problem and was advised to contact VW directly as some manufacturers will warranty upto six years. I did and was advised as my vehicle had full VW Service History then they may make a contribution. It turned out I needed new injector, wiring loom and airmass meter. VW agreed as 'a goodwill gesture' to pay 70% of the cost for the injector and wiring loom.

I have also spoken to an engineer friend who advised that the VW/Audi 2.0TDI engine from 2005 onwards does have a history of problems with the Injectors, WiringLoom and Oil Pump. However not a sufficient amount he thought to warrant a recall.

I can confirm the Oil Pump problem too as just 10 hours after collecting my Passat from having the injector, wiring loom and airmass meter replaced I was met with a new problem.....Oil Pressure.

This was confirmed following a diagnosis and again VW agreed to pay full cost of the part, Balance Shaft Module (some £800) ,with ourselves paying labour costs. This however did not fix the problem and in the end VW agreed to fund the cost of a brand new engine with ourselves paying the labour. All as 'a goodwill gesture'.

Our car at the time of breaking down the first time had only done 68,000 miles and was just short of 4 1/2 years old.

My thoughts regarding a recall are that there are not enough vehicles to have incurred these problems when you think of how may vehicles contain the 2.0TDI engine, Golf, Scirocco, Passat, A4, A3 etc.

So if your vehicle has full manufacturers service history then call their Customer Service Department, found on the web, and see what they have to say. Even if you don't have the full manufacturers warranty you could always still ring and ask.

Hope this helps. x

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - nick74

VAG have produced a number of different 2.0 TDi PD engine designs over the past few years, with slighly differing injector, oil pump etc setups. Unfortunately the one used in the 140 bhp Passat is known to be particularly troublesome. The A4 and the Skoda Superb used the same type too.

The models with a transverse engine layout (A3, Golf, Octavia, Altea ) used a slightly different version of the 2.0 TDi PD which doesn't appear to suffer from the same problems as the longitudinal Passat engine..

I think there are enough cases of oil pump drive failure on the Passat/A4/Superb version of this engine to justify a recall, but as most of them are old enough to be out of warranty VAG doesn't seem in the least bit interested.

Edited by nick74 on 07/10/2010 at 15:02

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - McLon

Hi,

I have an 06 2.0 litre turbo diesel Passat. For the last 3 years it would sometimes die when approaching the lights when braking. This happened very infrequently, maybe 3-4 times in a year. The car now has 114,000 miles on it., has regular VW servicing and parts.

Then, 2 weeks ago, when I got back into my car 5 minutes after a 20 minute drive, it would not start , after about 12 attempts and putting it in gear it did. I decided to book it in to my local VW garage to have it checked.

While waiting to put the car in, it drove once again problem free for the next 5 days.

I was advised that it was probably the fuel injector, but after a check, it was one of the injector looms, replaced for £190 inc vat. The fuel injector was passed. I was later told by one technician that they can gradually diminish (wish I had recorded that!) so I felt reassured that a full check would have detected any deteriation.

2 days later while driving at 50 mph on a country road the car completely died, I had to get towed back to garage, to be told that the fuel injector had packed in. Co incidence? I dont think so!

£550 parts and labour, reduced to £359 parts only as I complained that had I not come in the first place this would not have happened.

When I pressed the Service Manager he said that in some cases a new loom could interfere with the electronics of the fuel injector system (I wish I had recorded that also!) This made me even more annoyed.

All I was given was the customer services number for VW, as they said they could offer me no further reduction in the cost.

I am furious, I have now paid nearly £600 out for something I should have left well alone.

I am going to call them, but not being techy minded, has anyone got any advice based on what I have said. ?

Thanks

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - injection doc
These injectors are piezo technology and can produce intermitant faults that the management system iether cannot record or may flag to an interpretation of a wiring fault.
To be honest the garage are in a no win situation as had they of replaced the injector first & then the wiring failed they would still of been the bad boy's!
Injector harnesses in these vehicles are extremly common and very problamatic, more than likley both were an issue.
I know its not what you want to hear but after 35 years in the trade I was getting to the point with a scenario like that I prefer to replace all the injectors and wiring at the same time! that way jobs secured but your wallet would of been some what lighter.
these guys have tried to save you money by replacing the loom 1st ( quite correctly in my opinion ) and when the injector failed they have even offered you a reduced to 359 parts only!
If all the garages are going to end up giving parts and labour away just to satisfy a customer when the design and technology is to blame then we could end up with no service centres left.
personally i have replaced multiple injector harness's at a ration of 20-1 at least over injectors.
My inclination is to accept technology and keep your garage as your friend as you may need them more than they need you!
In fact I actually had customers I used to exclude when they used to be constant pain and wanting everything for nothing
VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - Cacks

Hi There

I had this problem in January with my Passat Estate 2006 TDI 140bhp Sport

Took it to an auto spark in Jan 2011 as Car died going to work and paid £800 to have Fuel injector no 3 replaced Great I thought thats that sorted. 2 months down the line car stops dead on a slip way with a 3 mile tail back and AA tow me to a VW Garage which I was dreading as I was thinking of the money I would have to spend .(AA man reckoned it was fuel injector again) Inital quote from VW £1000 for 1 injector

I rang VW Customer Care in head office and was allocated a Case Manager

I had to confirm full service history I was ready for a long and protracted fight over bills etc and spoke camly and put my case forward as to why I should require a goodwil gesture

Guess what VW replaced all injectors free of charge I was delighted

The Customer Service was excellent they kept me well informed and I got a health check on my car also

Thought I would post some good news for a change

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - Knuckles

Just wanted to say a BIG BIG thank you to this thread. After engine cutting out on my 06(50k miles) Passatt TDI whilst driving home and then being recovered to loacal VW dealer. VW told me the digonistics said that one fuel injector had gone and one other was reporting a fault, their advise was to replace both. The first would cost £1,200 and the second £600 plus £50 diagonostic charge, they had however approached volkswagen who out of good will would fund 70% of the one that had gone but nothing to the other, so still a bill of around £1,000. After reading this thread and ringing up VW customer care myself, VW agreed to replace all 4 fuel injectors and cover 100% of cost. A very worthwhile phone call.

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - DFC

This is just a quick word of advice to anyone who has a problem with a faulty VW fuel injector.

I believe there is an inherent fault in the design, certainly in the 05/06 batches. I have a VW Touran '56 plate 2 litre TDi 170PS. My car has suffered 2 total engine failures within 6 months of one another whilst driving at high speed on motorway/dual carriageway. On both occasions I managed to steer the car to the hard shoulder and safely evacuate my family. However, both incidents were potentially life threatening as we were travelling at high speed and there was a lot of traffic on the road. I dread to think what might have happened had we been overtaking on a main road when the failure occurred - it could well have resulted in a head on collision.

This is a very serious issue. VW Passatts and Tourans are family vehicles and families are being put in danger. I have 3 children and after the 2nd failure I was undersatndably very concerned for their safety. Immediately after the second incident and suspecting it was the fuel injectors again, I called VW Customer Services and complained that I no longer had confidence in their car, that I thought there was a design flaw in the fuel injector and that it belied their reputation for safety and reliability. They informed me, without any duress, that if it transpired the fuel injectors were again at fault, they would replace the entire set of 4, complete with new wiring loom, at no cost to me. After inspection, this was found to be the case and the work was carried out quickly, competently and was completely free. It probably amounted to about £4,000 in total.

I believe that VW are aware of this issue. I think they would rather deal with it quietly and repair vehicles that are reported faulty, rather than quibble about it and risk news of it reaching the public domain. If the fault is occurring on a regular basis and putting people's lives at risk, it could be catastrophic for them and necessitate a total recall of the models in question. So obviously they would rather field customer complaints, take the hit and deal with it quietly.

As a result of my experiences I have joined this forum to strongly advise anyone who has suffered this fault to immediately report it to VW Customer Services and insist on complete replacement of all 4 injectors and the wiring loom. This is the safest option, which VW themselves recommend - so do not settle for anything less. It is their responsibility to keep drivers safe if they are aware of an inherent fault.

I am pleased that my injectors have been replaced, although I'm still not 100% confident when driving at speed. Who knows if this could happen again? The question also arises as to why there is no safety override built into the system or software, so that the engine does not completely lose power as soon as a single injector fails. Surely the engine could keep running so that the driver retains some control over the vehicle? It is a question I am not technically qualified to answer and one that, as yet, I have had no satisfactory answer to - so If anyone out there could explain that to me, I would be very interested to learn.

Finally, just to reiterate, if it happens to you, insist on full replacement of a parts and wiring for free-and do not accept anything less. If you stick to your guns, they will do it.

I hope this posting has been helpful.

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - bhavickpatel

Hi, I have a 55 plate Passat and am losing power while driving (although not stalling), however VW say the fuel injectors are fine and are saying that replacing the Throttle pedal sensor and camshaft position sensor - a £400 cost- 'should' resolve the problem if it doesn't i'll then be getting more work done to the car...did you have similar problems with lack of power and do you suggest I contact vw directly?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bhav

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - lee chambers

Only yesterday I’ve had the same problem, this is for a 4th time. I brought the car second hand in December 2021 with the car having only 76000 miles on the clock , after having having a full major service by vw main dealer in March I thought I had a safe reliable family car.

How wrong was I - in April travelling along a A road the car without any signs just lost all power , resulting on me having to fight with the wheel as power steering was lost luckily I made it to the side of the road. I then payed for the faulty injector and wiring loom to be fixed , the garage I took it to , did mention replacing all injectors but at that time could not afford to do.

I then picked up the car after the garage saying the problem is fixed , after driving for 2 miles the car started stuttering resulting on me taking it back saying they have not fixed the car , they ran another diagnostics saying another of the injectors had gone. So having still got time left on our 6 months warranty complained to the garage I brought the car from they said they would pay towards the work to be done.

After over a month of not having a car they eventually fixed the problem, we picked the car up and drove it home only to find the problem still there stuttering, then when home called them only for them to say it’s not the injectors it’s your gear engine oil filter. So we took the car to a vw specialist after having the filter replaced got the call it’s done but it’s not the issue it’s the injector 4 which is causing the issue.

So then contacted garage from where the car was brought AGAIN to explain and they said the would fix it , with no confidence whatsoever in them fixing it with new parts gave it back to them to fix having no option due to spending all my redundancy money on the car and trying to fix the issues.

Picked the car up 3 weeks late after given date thinking all was fixed and at last had a road worthy car , took the car on a 30 journey to the seaside with my 7 year old daughter journey there all good coming home on the M23 at 70mph the car lost all power wile in the middle lane. Luckily I made it to the hard shoulder but it could of been so worse , I’ve definitely had a lucky escape.

We are going to take the garage to court for a full refund having complained in a letter before the warranty was up about selling a faulty dangerous vehicle. Hopefully we will win in a small claims court , but how is vw getting away with this life Threatening issue? If anyone has any advice it will be welcome.

[inserted some paragraphs to make it a bit easier to read and therefore more likely to get some advice - mod]

Edited by Xileno on 30/07/2021 at 10:39

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - lee chambers
Above message the car is a 2006 vw Passat 2.0L tdi
VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - DFC

This is just a quick word of advice to anyone who has a problem with a faulty VW fuel injector.

I believe there is an inherent fault in the design, certainly in the 05/06 batches. I have a VW Touran '56 plate 2 litre TDi 170PS. My car has suffered 2 total engine failures within 6 months of one another whilst driving at high speed on motorway/dual carriageway. On both occasions I managed to steer the car to the hard shoulder and safely evacuate my family. However, both incidents were potentially life threatening as we were travelling at high speed and there was a lot of traffic on the road. I dread to think what might have happened had we been overtaking on a main road when the failure occurred - it could well have resulted in a head on collision.

This is a very serious issue. VW Passatts and Tourans are family vehicles and families are being put in danger. I have 3 children and after the 2nd failure I was understandably very concerned for their safety. Immediately after the second incident and suspecting it was the fuel injectors again, I called VW Customer Services and complained that I no longer had confidence in their car, that I thought there was a design flaw in the fuel injector and that it belied their reputation for safety and reliability. They informed me, without any duress, that if it transpired the fuel injectors were again at fault, they would replace the entire set of 4, complete with new wiring loom, at no cost to me. After inspection, this was found to be the case and the work was carried out quickly, competently and was completely free. It probably amounted to about £4,000 in total.

I believe that VW are aware of this issue. I think they would rather deal with it quietly and repair vehicles that are reported faulty, rather than quibble about it and risk news of it reaching the public domain. If the fault is occurring on a regular basis and putting people's lives at risk, it could be catastrophic for them and necessitate a total recall of the models in question. So obviously they would rather field customer complaints, take the hit and deal with it quietly.

As a result of my experiences I have joined this forum to strongly advise anyone who has suffered this fault to immediately report it to VW Customer Services and insist on complete replacement of all 4 injectors and the wiring loom. This is the safest option, which VW themselves recommend - so do not settle for anything less. It is their responsibility to keep drivers safe if they are aware of an inherent fault.

I am pleased that my injectors have been replaced, although I'm still not 100% confident when driving at speed. Who knows if this could happen again? The question also arises as to why there is no safety override built into the system or software, so that the engine does not completely lose power as soon as a single injector fails. Surely the engine could keep running so that the driver retains some control over the vehicle? It is a question I am not technically qualified to answer and one that, as yet, I have had no satisfactory answer to - so If anyone out there could explain that to me, I would be very interested to learn.

Finally, just to reiterate, if it happens to you, insist on full replacement of a parts and wiring for free-and do not accept anything less. If you stick to your guns, they will do it.

I hope this posting has been helpful.

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - 659FBE

The Siemens injectors fitted to this engine are flawed in concept and execution. I have reason to believe also that the associated electronics have no reversionary mode if an injector exhibits a ground fault - the engine just stops.

In the absence of a definitive statement from VAG that they have changed the design of the late PD engine's fuel system - with the results of testing, I would not consider it suitable for my own use and would suggest that it may be a danger to others. The earlier PD engines with Bosch solenoid operated injectors are safe.

VAG are trying to get out of this by "goodwill" - a clever trick. Frighten the owner with the prospect of a big bill and then, after a squirm period, offer to pay it. The owner then forgets that he was sold a dangerous pile of rubbish in the first place.

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 2005 - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR - PatLimerick

Injector 2 on my 2005 2.0L Passat cut out on the fast lane of a dual carraigeway 5 months ago which was very dangerous. I then had to pay €1200 to get a new one. Now the second injector is faulty. I can't afford to replace it so I have rang VW who said they do not think there is a problem in general with them and probably would not look favourably. I have said fine and that I will take it further as I and my wife could have ben killed and have no confidence in it. I am now going to submit this to VW through the local VW dealer.

Edited by PatLimerick on 23/06/2011 at 12:51

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 2005 - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR - DFC

Injector 2 on my 2005 2.0L Passat cut out on the fast lane of a dual carraigeway 5 months ago which was very dangerous. I then had to pay €1200 to get a new one. Now the second injector is faulty. I can't afford to replace it so I have rang VW who said they do not think there is a problem in general with them and probably would not look favourably. I have said fine and that I will take it further as I and my wife could have ben killed and have no confidence in it. I am now going to submit this to VW through the local VW dealer.

There is a problem and they are aware of it. Be persistent and do not accept anything less than full replacement. This is a very dangerous fault as you well know and they should not be putting people's lives at risk by quibbling over what is, for them, a miniscule amount. If this issue were to enter the public domain they'd soon be forking out much larger sums, you can count on that!

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 2005 - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR - 659FBE

There seems to be a concept problem with this modification of the PD fuel system which may render it unsafe for general use on the road.

PD engines have the entire fuel pump/injector assembly running in oil - it's inside the engine. This is very highly beneficial to the moving parts such as the roller cam followers. Common rail engines have the injectors external to the engine's lubricant. This is a significant difference which means that this type of failure cannot occur.

Oil in diesel engines contains a significant quantity of soot towards the end of use (before an oil change) and will conduct when a high voltage gradient is applied to it. The earlier Bosch injectors were low voltage/high current devices, so this was not a limitation - an "oil induced" short circuit would not occur. The first generation PD engines were therefore safe.

The change from Bosch to Siemens piezo actuated injectors required the fitment of a high voltage invertor to the ECU to provide the required drive voltage - and there is only one of these per ECU, to my knowledge.

In a Siemens PD injector, the presence of a conducting path within the actuator for the injector servo valve (caused by oil ingress or a mechanical failure) will place an overload on the invertor within the ECU - which will then shut down for its own safety.

Then everything stops.

In my opinion, this Siemens system represents an ill-conceived development of the PD system insofar as parts carrying high voltages by necessity, run in potentially conductive lubricating oil. Due to the non-reversionary capability of the ECU, a single short will stop the engine.

My view is that VOSA should consider stipulating that all ECUs fitted to this system should be changed for a design incorporating twin DC/DC invertors so that the system, in the event of an injector short or wiring fault, will fail gracefully and some engine function will be retained. This would allow safe steering and braking following a failure.

Nobody would be allowed to design an aircraft like this - my opinion is that VAG have messed up the design of the PD engine by the fitment of these injectors and probably knew they had. I wonder if VAG sold the Siemens injectors into the US?

VAG have had a few tastes of the US Transport Regulation Authorities in the past and would probably not want to mess with them. The size of the potential market there makes compliance with their regulations essential.

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 2005 - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR - unthrottled

I wonder if VAG sold the Siemens injectors into the US?

I don't believe so. VW did not sell diesel cars in the US after 2005 because they could no longer meet the tightened emissions requirements. There was a hiatus until late 2008 when the common rail 4v engine was introduced.

What is interesting about that engine (the 4v CR) is that the US version doesn't seem to be having problems with its particulate trap. Now whether this is due to different duty cycles (no one in the US woud be silly enough to buy a diesel if they only drove 7000 miles pa) or because the fitment of a lean NOx trap means that engine-out NOx can be increased which should allow engine out PM to decrease.

The salient point for european diesel fans is that the US compliant diesels get significantly poorer consumption than their Euro V equivalents.

Edited by unthrottled on 27/06/2011 at 16:43

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - Neil Mack
Hi there,

This is a great thread and really helped me get through the anguish and understand the issue with my car (06 Passat 2.0 TDi 140 ps) and these engines in general.

I had the same fault as most on here - car cuts out without earning, "Engine Failure - Workshop", etc... Garage say it's a faulty injector. Cost with labour - nearly £1,000.

I took the advice of contacting VW UK Customer Service and calmly explained what happened, the report from the garage and said how utterly astonished and frustrated that the car would just cut out like that (it could have been fatal) and VW haven't done a recall or at least tried to do something about this - with what is a popular family car. I said I have lost failth with VW and I don't think I could drive my Passat any more as I'd be paranoid something will happen again - when I'm overtaking something or on a busy motorway.

The friendly guy at VW was very understanding and said he has assigned a case manager and they'll talk to the garage and investigate my claims.

My worry is that I wont get this goodwill gesture (100% or 70% or whatever) from VW whenn I've not used VW to service my car for the last 2 years. Do you think they'll use this against me and say they have no guarantee something wasn't damaged or properly looked after due to this?

Neil
VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - nichewidgets

Another owner with the same car/problem.

My Passat 2.0 TDI 06 Plate with 55,000 miles developed this problem whilst on holiday with the whole family. Fortunately it cut out/stalled on the driveway of the holiday cottage so wasn't dangerous as such.

Called RAC who came out and attached the computer. Almost before this was complete the engineer said he thought he knew the problem.. sure enough it was an injector failure/short to ground. I suspect he'd seen several the same.

He called the local VW garage who (oddly I thought) told him I could expect VW "support" for this problem. This alterted me to look up on Google and I found this/other similar threads. I called VW central 0800 number and was told pretty much there and then that "they would support this case" (I have a full service - well 2 services i think on the variable interval).

The car was towed and the dealer called to confirm no.3 injector had failed and that VAG would be picking up 100% of the bill.

Not sure what to do now re the other 3 - as the story is that they only replace faulty ones. I have submitted a case to the VOSA webiste and a chap there has passed it to the colleague "dealing with the VW injector issue".

Hope this helps people with the VW/VAG paying part at least. Only rejoined the VW assistance on a monthly premium last week, so feeling quite lucky..

niche

Update.

I have spoken to the case manager from VW and she's asking me to fax the invoice to her, once I have it. She said they need to see that the new parts are genuine VW (garage assures me they are) and the part number.

I asked if this meant they would pay 100% of the costs but she wouldn't say anything until she saw the invoice. Hindsight tells me I should have taken the car to a VW dealer like I was planning to (until guy who towed car away insisted they'd be cheaper).

I was also thinking about flaggin the issue with VOSA if I don't get 70-100% costs back. Niche.. can you let me know how the process goes?

Neil

SUCCESS!

VW are reimbursing me 100% for the £950 cost of replacing the faulty injector (at independent garage). AND are going to replace the other 3 injectors for free in the next few days!

Note to anyone who gets their car repaired at a non-VW dealer, with this issue... you must make sure the garage fit genuine VW parts. VW said they wouldn't have reimbursed me if they weren't genuine VW parts.

Many many thanks to this site and forum posters! Without this, I may not have got reimbursed for this repair.

All the best.

Neil
VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - munderwo

Same experience as Neil: 06 Passat 2.0TDI.

One injector went and was fixed for £850 at a trusted VW specialist. Had some diagnostics done as part of long life service and they indicated that another injector had 'exceeded its range'.

Found this thread, contacted VW customer care and it's gone fantastically well from there. They have a well used approach to this issue: take your car into VW dealership, they run the diagnostics, they replace the rest. No arguments, incredibly polite and efficient service.

I have also been promised a refund for the first injector that was replaced at my expenses at non-VW dealer. Luckily a genuine VW part used.

Can only echo this: 'Many many thanks to this site and forum posters! Without this, I may not have got reimbursed for this repair.'

Best,

Matt

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - nero

REPLACED FREE OF CHARGE ,Just had an injector go down,on my 06 2.0TDI ,Phoned my local vw dealer,Answer yes sir please get your car into us ,if it is an injector fault we will replace F.O.C,Took it in on Thursday picked it back on Friday afternoon ,All 4 injectors replaced FREE OF CHARGE no fuss or arguments ,Great service,Well done VW and to all those who have been complaining to vosa to get this problem sorted ,VW have now agreed to cover the cost of all these faulty injectors,Great result all round

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - Peter D

VOSA took this on and announce on the 5th of July that VAG has agreed to replace faulty piezo injectors free of charge and refund any owner that has replaced them at their expense even if the work was done outwith the dealership. Regards Peter

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - Bonkers

Passat 56 plate 170 sport just had all four injectors replaced FOC at main dealer paid for by VAG.

Looks like at last VAG are at last taking responsibility for this potentially dangerous problem.

My vehicle cut out at 70mph in a busy outside lane motorway!

Has this been forced on them by VOSA?

I hope I will be reimbursed the £800 i spent replacing the last injector!

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - Warby

Here's a reply letter from VOSA worth reading:

www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=86...s

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - markalama
just t

Edited by markalama on 05/09/2011 at 09:41

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - markalama
just t
VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - Roadi

OT900 is specially designed to reset oil service ,oil inspection light,sevice mileage,sevice intervals and airbag for most major asian,American and european vehicles without using the OEM scan tool.Save momey on expensive garage charges with this user friendly tool!

http://www.roadico.com/roadi-products.php?#oilreset

Hope it help you.

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - Odyseus

Well I have a GT Sport Tdi (170) that failed, luckily it was at home but I had to call the local dealer (Peter Cooper, Portsmouth) to tow it to the dealer £60 and although they said they would be replacing the all the injectors as a "good will gesture" - I would still have to pay the £100+VAT diagnostic fee??!!

Has anyone got the diagnostic fee free as part of the replacement??

While my car was being 'repaired' it was also due for a service and advised it was due the cambelt change, I said I had only done 29K since new (4 years) but relented and read it was a good idea to change the water pump too. The dealer stung me for ~ £560 even though the quoted price on the national VW site is £399 inc vat and labour until 21sr dec 2011.

And to really rub salt in the wounds, I signed a 3 year service contract last year, the dealer said, it would allow me to 'spread' my payments and all the service costs would be fixed. They said I would need 3 services,one aircon and one brake fluid service over the next 3 years coming to roughly £700, they divided this my 36 months, so I would pay roughly £19/month.

But after the first year (accruing £209) I was due a 40K service, aircon service and brake fluid service coming in at over £400. I was told I had to pay the difference - so much for spreading my payments. They also over charged me £50 against the costs on the service agreement.

Of course they must have known a year ago what was due and according to their terms and conditions, they should have asked for an up-front premium. They should also have included the cam belt change on the service contract, and mentioned that the costs are not actually spread over the 3 years, as they led me to believe. I have sent them a letter and wait for their excuses. Then I'll have to write to VW UK to complain :(

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - albertcon

Big thank you to this forum. Our Passat cut out whilst driving, we was unsure what had happened, our mechanic told us it was the fuel injectors and that it would cost approx £1.5k ouch was all we could think at the time. My husband googled the problem and came across this website. We called VW customer care explained our situation following the comments previously posted and was expecting a struggle but they booked us in at our local VW garage, we was told if the problem wasn't their faulty injectors then we would have to pay for the cost, again we had our case ready expecting a negative response. But I received a call to say it was being looked at, then i didn't hear for another couple of hours only to say that the work would be carried over to the next day. The follow day I was told it was ready for collection and VW had foot the bill. Happy days, it was more than we expected although at the end of the day it should never have happened but if it wasn't for this forum then we would have paid the £1.5k with out regular mechanic. I definately believe this forum gave us the information required that VW couldn't pull the wool over our eyes, again a big thank you.

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 07 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - jayne4971

Another one!!!!

Yesterday, I was driving on the M6 motorway, middle lane at approx 70mph, when The warning light appears 'Engine Failure, Garage!', within the second the engine completely cut out. Luckily for me there was a space in the left hand lane in order that I could safely get to the hard shoulder. Could of been fatal had I been in rush hour!

The loverly RAC man who recovered me, told me that a car of only 35000miles should not have problems with the fuel injectors and he had heard of instances where VW had carried out works as a'gesture'. I was ready to get the legal people involved if I had too, however the stoke dealership handled the repairs within 24hours and the total cost covered by VW for all four injectors to be replaced without any fight. A bit too easy really!!!

Upon reading the forum, I cant believe that VW havent recalled these cars, I was so lucky, I sure others may not!

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 07 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - Dan-m

Ive just been in for some rear brake pad's to be fitted £129. and ended up getting all 4 injector's and wiring replaced F.O.C and something to do with the diesel pump.

This all came under a recall that i didn't have a clue about it as i don't normally do dealers,but for once in my life i'm glad i did and would suggest anyone with one to go to their dealer.

my car is a 57 2007 tdi 140 sport with 55k and it had no known faults only the rear brakes. gave them the car at 10.am and picked it up at 6.pm same day service all in all i'm a very happy man.

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 07 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - Dexter Wolf

I have a 57 VW Passat 2.0 TDI 140 and was called by Warrington Volkswagen on Friday who told me there had been a recall and I had to get my fuel injectors checked.

I Booked it in for this morning for 8am and recieved a call at 10am telling me that my car was ready for collection and had been fitted with four new injectors and new wiring harness!

Was my mechanic super fast or what? Only two hours!! Is this a relatively simple job??

Would appreciate a mechanic to verify this work can be done in such a short period of time??

As a Passat owner who knew nothing about this issue, I am indebted to you all for bringing this to the public domain and eventually getting VW to recall. It just shows how collectively we can influence big organisations into taking action !!

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 07 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - SG1977

Hi all

I have a 57 plate passat with 55k on the clock. The missus was driving the car earlier and completely cut out on the school run!

Bizarrely, I was on the phone to VW Northampton earlier in the day for a completely unrelated matter and was advised during the call that I need to bring the car in asap to replace the fuel injectors, and the very nice lady did mention that would be done FOC.

So booked it in for next Tuesday until all this happened this evening. Had it towed to VW and now hoping to see them first thing to get this done asap.

Feel rather annoyed and shocked that something like this hasn't been widely publicised. Thanks to this forum, I also know that I'm not alone! (although wouldn't wish it on anyone else).

Anyhow, will keep you posted on the outcome.

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 07 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - skip intro

It's just happened to me on my 06 Passat 90k miles.

Local garage has called in specialist installers but I have heard nothing about FOC!

Who do I phone to shout at?

NB ot cut out dead but luckily in a safe spot. My wife was planning to drive several 100 miles mostly M60 M6 past very busy Manchester so the consequences of a sudden stop in the third lane in fog could have been extreme!

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 07 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - skip intro

4 injectors done FOC by local VW dealer (Parkway, Derby)!

I wouldn't have known if I hadn't found this site, so thanks very much all!

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 07 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - Snakey

I got rid of my 2007 Passat 2.0TDI a few months back. Mainly because I was sick of niggling problems but the biggest worry was the injector failure occuring when my wife was driving it on her own. VW have taken ages to finally do something about this and it says a lot about their attitude to customers that they've only just started a recall. Presumably because they were forced to in the USA.

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 07 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - CMcB

My 07 Passat (75000kms) had the same problem on the weekend during an attempted interstate drive in Australia, and I am currently waiting for all 4 injectors to be replaced by VW under warrantee (despite car being 18 months out of warrantee). It will be interesting to see whether VW Australia will also reimburse the additional costs of this breakdown - so far my family has been stuck in a p***ant little motel for five days waiting for the repair to be completed, and the bill for towing, accomodation, and a hire car so far is about $1200 and counting.

Thank you VW Australia for forking out for the repair, but a recall when you knew about the problems would have saved my family from being stranded inthe middle of nowhere...

Can someone advise whether the repair will be with a new and improved injector? Or is it only a matter of time until it happens again? (If it's the latter the car will be on the market by the end of the week...)

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 07 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - surfbum

Hi, hoping for some advice about my A3 - its a 54 plate 2.0 tdi 140 (with this problem engine it appears!!) I bought it just over a year ago from an independent Audi 'specialist' - not so special as it turned out... Just after I bought it I noticed that the engine and the car seemed to 'wobble' a bit whilst idling - I wondered if it was the clutch or the engine mounts. Took it back to where I bought it, they said it was that the injectors were a bit clogged up so gave me some injector clearing stuff to put in the fuel. Didn't help a lot but TBH the car runs absolutely fine otherwise, nice and economical and I've since done 20k in it. Took it to a proper Audi specialist for its service today - even before they started they warned me that there was a problem with the high pressure fuel component in the engine allowing oil to leak into the diesel and thus clog the injectors - they had seen problems with loads of A3s with this engine recently. They checked mine and surprise surprise mine has the problem too - they showed me a sample of the fuel which is an odd oily blue colour.

Now, they say that Audi are dealing with the problem by just replacing the faulty injectors when they break, but the root of the problem is in fact a faulty high pressure fuel pump in the engine, which needs to be replaced to the tune of about £500. Then there won't be any problems with the injectors. Is this the case?? And if so why aren't Audi sorting the problem out properly? The guys I saw today said Audi really should have put a recall out on this part.

So - anyone actually know if this is the case? In which case if just the injectors are replaced is everyone going to have problems again if the actual pump continues to leak oil into the fuel? Do you think the different injectors make a difference - I have heard about Bosch and Siemens suffering differently with the fault??

I'm going to call Audi tomorrow and find out about it. I really don't want an injector to fail and have my engine cut out as everyone has been talking about! I do too many miles on the motorway for that to be even thought about...

Any ideas guys??? Thanks!!

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 07 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - tigger13

I was on the A34 just south of Newbury in Berkshire last night when I had a total power failure in my VW Passat Estate 2.00 Litre TDI which I bought from new in September 2007 , it is on a 57 Plate. I was in the outside lane of the dual carriage road doing about 75 / 80 miles per hour when this happened. Wow what a shock!! Very luckily I had just overtaken several vehicles and had clear road on the inside lane. I immediately took the car out of gear and pulled over to the inside lane, my power steering and servo assisted brakes had also failed. God must have been looking down on me because as I pulled over a lay by miraculously appeared and I was able to get off the road and brought the car to a halt. Traffic was very heavy and moving at 70 / 80 MPH. I hate to think what would have happened had I had nowhere to go in the outside lane of this very fast moving dual carriage way. Simply, I would have come to very quick stop in the outside lane, how horrific is that to contemplate especially at a time when it was getting dark!!! This would have without doubt caused a serious crash / pile up with quite possibly innocent people being involved. Should I have been killed and the car badly damaged, then trying to find the cause of this accident would have been very difficult. When in fact it was due to VW making cars and putting them on the road with this catastrophic failure inherent in the manufacture, and not down to driver error whatsoever. How can this be allowed? Surely all owners of the Passats in question must be contacted immediately without a moments' delay. Someone is out there right now driving one of these potential death traps. All VW Garages that have sold these cars should be calling their customers immediately and sorting out the problem. Apparently VW have a recall out on this problem which I knew absolutely nothing about until the RAC patrolman who came out to rescue me logged his computer in to my car to diagnose the problem. He told me it was a fuel injector / wiring loom problem failure, and that this caused the total power failure. He knew VW had issued a recall. Today the car arrived at my VW Garage in Andover, and to my amazement they said there was a recall on this problem, and that they would replace all 4 fuel injectors and the wire loom for free without hesitation. They told me that VW were writing to all owners of the relevant cars about the recall in batches, and that the first letters went out in early December 2011. Another lot of letters have only just gone out, but sadly I am still waiting for my letter!!! I bought this car at the VW Garage in Andover, why on earth did they not write to me as soon as they were awre of the problem last year? The cost of having this done as a repair including labour and VAT would be about £4,000.00 to £4,500.00. Anybody who has paid for this problem to be fixed should phone VW Customer Care on 0800 - 0833 920 and I am sure they will give you an immediate refund on receipt of proof of payment. Surely someone must go to the Press, the Government, and other Bodies to make the Public fully aware of this, I believe it involves some 300,000 vehicles in the UK alone. How can VW get away with dealing with this matter in such an underhand manner, they have been well aware of this problem for sometime. May be a call to JC at Top Gear would help.

Tigger13

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 07 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - Alvin of Leeds

Wish I knew about this yesterday!! We were driving down the M1 yesterday (Monday 27th Feb 2012). In the rain, very heavy rain, with a hugh amount of spray being thrown up. Busy traffic. About 4.00PM. We were in the outside lane ( the Fast Lane)......... and you know what I am going to say next, don't you? Yeh the whole engine cut out. No warning at all, a little light on the Dash pinged up and that was all she wrote.

We were so lucky, my husband was quick thinking and managed to glide the car over to the hard shoulder. Just before Juncion 23 M1southbound. A good straight bit of the road.

This could have been fatal, not just to ourselves but to everyone else around us & behind us. Even waiting around the hard shoulder for an hour to be recovered is dangerous enough. By now it was getting dark & still raining.

We drive a VW Passat 07 plate - Diesel, only 55000 miles on the clock. We have never heard of this problem, not seen anything in the Newspapers and no one has written to us as an owner of this death trap. We bought our VW form a VW main dealership in Leeds & they haven't written to us either.

The recovery team were brilliant & it was them that said they had heard something about this KNOWN FAULT with VW & DIESEL FUEL INJECTORS?? The car couldn't start & had to be delivered back to us in Leeds.

NOW THESE GUYS RECOVER CARS ALL THE TIME & THEY ONLY KNEW ABOUT IT AS A RUMOUR.

Now, gonna call VW customer services and see what they say. Wish me luck.

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 07 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - paddy17

My 57 plate Passatt just stopped last Sunday, lucky for me I was on a B road and pulled managed pull the car safely to the side of the road, tried starting it number of times but no joy, I then called the RAC, he plugged in the diagnostic system and told me the injector number 4 is coming up as faulty and from his previous experience injectors are at £400 each, I decided to get my car towed to my local garage.

The following day I decided to have quick browse on the net to see if other owners have experienced similar faults, after reading all the post I decided to give WV a call.

Soon as I explained what had happened and what RAC told me they advised me that they are in process of writing to all owners to recall the vehicles and she would make arrangement for replacement injectors at my local VW garage.

I picked up my car today and very satisfied with way this matter was dealt with.

Thanks to all owners who took some time in uploading their experiences on this thread, taking some time to do bit of web surfing has saved a fortune.

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 07 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - Maa

Hiya, I dont think it is in the public demain enough! Just think of all the owners who dont have internet. I bought my car in January and I didnt know anything about the recall.

I drove down to London from Sheffield to see my sisters new born child, it was a lovely day out untill I was just about to drive home and the car cut out! Luckly I wasnt on the motorway in the dark. I had to be recovered all the way back to sheffield with it been easter sunday garages werent open untill tuesday, Then I didnt find out what was wrong with it untill friday. So after alot of searching about recalls I emailed gilders and they rang me monday to tell me my car needs recalling and they said they will try and cover the cost of the repair. I paid £660 so they better! Its ashame they cant pay be back for the stress it has caused and for the lack of earning since I havent been able to work been self employed! It should be on Watch Dog, or in the papers to stop this ruining another persons special day out!

Matt!

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 07 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - balleballe

VAG were pressured into a recall; otherwise they would never have issued one!

All cars have their faults, but I agree, perhaps not as serious and/or dangerous as this one.

Hopefully you get it sorted, whether you buy another VAG vehicle though; is your call

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 07 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - unthrottled

All cars have their faults, but I agree, perhaps not as serious and/or dangerous as this one.

Over-egging the pudding does nothing to add credibility to an argument.. Essentially all this problem causes is a sudden loss of power. Disconcerting? Yes. Dangerous? No, drivers should be able to cope with malfunctions.

I've experienced windscreen wiper motor failure before. That is much more dangerous and unpleasant to deal with than a non-firing engine.

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 07 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - Maa

Ok if its not dangerous on the road its dangerous for someone who has a weak heart when they get a bill for £2500. I read injectors should last 1 billion cycles a life time of a car! My 12 year old vectra was indestructible before I bought this! At least old cars does tell you about all there problems every 5 seconds.

Everyone use to think used Vw kept there price when you came to sell, But now there still expencive just because everyone adds the bills to the price!

But its not all bad, It is a lovely drive when its working, I have never been so comfy while driving a car and it looks great, I bought this car because I felt like I was getting something for my money! I had a look under a ford focus and these nothing there its just an empty sell!

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 07 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - DFC

You are talking utter nonsense. How can windscreen wiper failure possibly compare to total engine failure when driving at high speed in the outer lane of a 3 0r 4 cariageway motorway?

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - Ex engineer

Technically the injectors are a nozzle that atomises the fuel so the basics are if the fuel is bad it wont atomise and if the injectors are bad due to a manufacturing fault causing it to be unsafe you can sue them under the consumer protection act. Job done they may reair or replace it but you must notify and mitigate within reasonable time.

The fuel injectors need to be electronically sound so this is maybe the issue or there is another problem but so long as it is not your fault you might have a claim.

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - Lou Bob

Hi all just joined this forum to ask advice. Just bought a 57 Passat Diesel (to replace ailing T reg of same) thinking I got a real bargain, BUT have had very sleepless night after reading about the issues here ( I have a 4 yr old son and drive on the M way alot). My question is does this problem affect only the 2.0 litre TDI? I've got a 1.9 TDI and have seen elsewhere that it is not fitted with the Piezo Injectors that seem to be the issue (is this difference between PD and CR? is 1.9 CR?) If someone could clear this up I'd be really grateful. Stumbled on this as have had car 3 days and quite a few starting problems including message engine fault garage! so googled it because my handbook is in Swedish! Dealer I bought it from is taking it back to have a look but don't know how much to press the injector issue. Thanks in advance for any help.

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - dieselnut

Rest easy, the 1.9 has the ultra reliable Bosch injectors & is a PD engine. Only some of the 2l PD engines have the dodgy Siemens piezo injectors. The CR engines were only from mid 2008 onwards & don't seem to have any major problems although do have DPF.

VW PASSATT 2.0TDI 56 Plate - VW PASSATT FUEL INJECTOR HELP - Lou Bob
Thanks so much, can't tell you how relieved I am!! Thanks to all who share advice and expertise here.