All - Perception of brand desirability - whoopwhoop

I am interested in peoples perceived desirability of car brands.

What order would you put the following brands (I've put them in my perceived order from Highest to Lowest) :

BMW (Highest)

Audi

Mercedes

Jaguar

Lexus

Toyota

VW

Honda

Mazda

Ford

Renault

Vauxhall

Citroen

Peugeot

Seat

Skoda (Lowest)

Feel free to add other marques into the list...

All - Perception of brand desirability - Armstrong Sid

It's entirely down to your personal prejudice. Totally irrational and completely incomprehensible to anyone other than yourself. Nobody can be right or wrong, but you'll wind everyone up

Many of those in the list I couldn't give a monkeys's about either way. But we all have our reasons for loving/hating certain marques. The ones which immediately jump out at me on the list are

1. BMW would go at the bottom because to me it's totally undesirable; the perceived image I have of BMWs is arrogant selfishness (don't shoot me, I'm sure there are some very nice BMW owners, but nevertheless that is still my image of BMWs)

2. Anyone who puts Skoda at the bottom of the list knows little about motoring and/or is living on prejudices from 10-15 years ago.

3. I've never seen a Renault I wanted

4. Some Citroens look good, (eg C6) but I wouldn't trust them to get me to the end of the street. Is that desirability?

5. Toyota are good (I've had them) but I've never thought of them as desirable. Like a washing machine

See, it's all down to prejudice. No sense at all.

All - Perception of brand desirability - Pat L

My approximate rankings for 'real world' cars:

Audi

BMW

Mercedes

Jaguar

Lexus

VW

Volvo/Saab

Seat

Honda

Alfa Romeo

Skoda

Ford

Mazda

Vauxhall

Citroen

Peugeot

Toyota

Renault

Kia/Hyundai

Fiat

All - Perception of brand desirability - Glenn 42

I certainly wouldn't rank Skoda as last, more like mid table, quite good but there is still a bit of snobbery about the badge . At the bottom must come Daewoo/ Chevrolet, abysmal cars with little appeal and poor resale. Topping the list now I would say Lexus, very reliable and better value than its German rivals. However, Audi, BMW and Mercedes would get the runners up places and Volvo would come fifth for those who want quality but not from Germany.

All - Perception of brand desirability - primeradriver

"At the bottom must come Daewoo/ Chevrolet, abysmal cars with little appeal and poor resale."

Abysmal? Nah. They aren't sexy but then neither are Toyota. I see them as ideal second cars; vastly underrated, reliable and reasonably well-engineered budget cars.

All I care about is: 1) do they handle well, 2) are they reliable.

Newer Daewoos are fairly tidy handlers -- much better than Citroen. The old ones were awful in this regard but that's due to the Vauxhall "heritage".

I used to favour Nissan as the tightwad-but-good car of choice, but I'm starting to favour Mitsubishi now. Just bought a Space Star as a second car and the handling is so far ahead of the typical Scenic/Picasso Frogmobile it's a joke.

My list would be a bit back-to-front. BMWs seem unreliable to me from work colleagues' experience; Mercedes I just find dull,and Audis are amazingly ordinary to drive. VWs are no better than Fords, Vauxhalls are simply garbage and I wouldn't touch a French car with someone else's bargepole.

Lexuses seem a bit tacky for the prices you pay for them and Toyotas are terminally dull. Of all the makes out there I'd put Ford, Mazda, Volvo and especially Honda at the top of the tree. Mitsubishi, Hyundai and Kia for budget buys, and Daewoos deserving of a special mention for anyone wanting something cheap.

All - Perception of brand desirability - redviper
Vauxhalls are simply garbage

Are they? why is that then?
All - Perception of brand desirability - JimmyM
Vauxhalls are simply garbage

Are they? why is that then?

I couldn't disagree more from my own experience. Whilst I admit that most Vauxhalls are hardly going to find their way to the top of a desirability list, for many people, a car that is cheap to buy and maintain is exceptionally important. For every person that has had a bad experience with any manufacturer (and therefore vows never to buy a car made by them again), there are always thousands of people who don't complain because they are entirely satisfied. I have owned several Vauxhalls - my current Vectra is 12 years old, has no rust on it at all, starts every day and apart from a cambelt change (for piece of mind!), I have spent hardly anything on it apart from routine maintenance and some minor suspension problems. It cost me 2000 pounds to buy when 5 years old and I could sell it tomorrow and get several hundred pounds for it. That is what is important to many people! But I guess I too have my prejudices - I have never wanted to buy a Japanese car because I don't like the look of them, even though their reliablilty record is excellent! Oh well, each to his own, I guess!

All - Perception of brand desirability - Avant

I agree with AS that this is totally subjective: the nearest you can get to objectivity would be to look at the stats (such as in What Car) showing estimated value after 3 years as a percentage of original cost.

You'll find that MINI is one of the best, Skoda much better than you seem to think.

No disrespect, AS, but interestingly in the 1940s and 50s Armstrong-Siddeley would have been classed as a desirable marque. Didn't stop them going bust in about 1960.

All - Perception of brand desirability - bathtub tom

My neighbour spent all of his retirement lump sum on a Merc. His wife (despite all the problems her husband had) did likewise.

They now both sit behind that status, three pointed star and have the same on their key-rings.

I take great delight in using my Kia Pride to take them both to their main dealer when they want a lift, frequently, and refuse,pointedly, to use my Nissan.

All - Perception of brand desirability - Sofa Spud

I'm trying to be sector-blind here. Personally I'd put VW tops because I like sensible ordinary cars. Anyway, here's my chartrundown.

Audi

Lexus

Mercedes

VW

BMW

Jaguar

Volvo

Peugeot

Ford

Honda

Seat

Skoda

Mazda

Toyota

Citroen

Saab

Alfa Romeo

Vauxhall

Renault

Kia/Hyundai

Edited by Sofa Spud on 07/06/2010 at 00:22

All - Perception of brand desirability - ohsoslow

For me, the lists posted so far could almost be turned upside down. I have never owned or wanted to own a German car for some reason, and in the last 25 years of my motoring career I have gone Japanese.

All of my cars have been run of the mill beasts and perhaps I've been lucky, but I've been happy with all of them. Apart from my first car, an ancient Ford Pop of 1960s vintage, they have all started, got me from A to B, sometimes C and even D and stopped when required, being all I ask of them.

Easily pleased?

All - Perception of brand desirability - b308

The way I read your OP is that you are looking at how desireable the car (or make?) is to me personally... rather than how others percieve it... if so, I put practicality and size as priorities above style and looks... and therefore would put Skoda on top... Seat would be somewhere near the bottom, as though they produce stylish cars they just don't work for me!

I tend to agree with many others, looking at things from a general point of view I just can't see BMW as the top dog, they just seem like a Ford nowadays... I'd put Audi, Merc, Lexus and Jag (Ford?) above them! ;)

Edited by b308 on 07/06/2010 at 11:00

All - Perception of brand desirability - veryoldbear

Audi ? Desirable ? Driven by short-membered executives in excess of the speed limit and need LCD's round their lights so they can find them in the car park ? Don't get me started !

All - Perception of brand desirability - corax

Many of these brands have a heritage that goes back many years, and they have produced some great models throughout their history. I think that to buy a car just because the brand is desirable is foolish. Many manufacturers have produced the odd lemon. I tend to buy a car that is known to be a particularly good example from that manufacturer at that time. It would be uninformed to buy a used Mercedes W210 (E class) because you thought all Mercedes were near the top of their game, when the W124 before it was a much more rounded, reliable car.

A brand is only as good as the engineers and builders make it at the time. We can see what happens when the bean counters step in. The Peugeot 306 was a fantastic model in it's day, but would you buy a Peugeot 307 if you knew what we know now about it's unreliability. Probably not, unless you were a committed Peugeot fan that put that brand above all others.

Edited by corax on 07/06/2010 at 12:45

Possibly for combining Japanese reliability with driving pleasure and styling flair, Honda must come high up now. Also Mitsubishi for those who want a fast 3 series alternative for less money but with the same quality and performance- also less common. Probably still naff and not particularly desired, Nissans, whose latest models look like hell and whose quality has fallen off, Kias, smaller ones are only slightly better than Chevrolet/ Daewoos and Protons, only for the Proton enthusiasts or the cash strapped who must have a new car.

A more interesting choice would be the person who buys a SEAT. This is a motorist who appreciates Volkswagen quality and reliability, but wants something that looks more exciting than a Volkswagen and is a cheaper car to buy and maintain.

All - Perception of brand desirability - movilogo

Kia/Hyundai [they offer longest warranty]
Honda/Toyota/Suzuki + all Japanese brands [= reliability]
Skoda/VW/Vauxhall [ = good value for money]
Merc/BMW/Audi [ = can't figure out why people spend so much money on them while they are not better than any lower priced alternatives]
All French cars [ = unreliable]

Anyone care to explain why Merc/BMW are desirable?

They don't work in winter [well works if you fit winter tyres]
Often goes wrong and costs arm & leg to fix
Ride and handling not different from any other car [in day to day life]
Cost more to maintain due to insurance/tax/service/fuel economy.

Then again I hate Apple products while some others admire them.

Everyone's perception is different. That's why in open market both Perodua and Bentley have customers.

It's a shame we have lost so many British luxury brands with only Jaguar remaining. 50 years ago, apart from Rolls Royce, Jaguar/ Daimler was the most desirable car on the market, appealing to managing directors and people who were not quite rich or ostentatious enough to buy a Rolls Royce. Just below these were Rovers and Humbers, which tended to appeal to people who weren't rich enough to buy a Jaguar but who wanted a car that was a cut above the mainstream and looked good.

All - Perception of brand desirability - woodster

Interesting for me that people separate cars built from the same platforms, with the same drivetrains and suspensions, in terms of desirability. Sure, Audi's look good, but what a premium to pay over a Skoda. I think I've arrived at a point in life where I still like cars, admire attractive ones, desire fast ones, but want value for money in a car that's practical for our roads. I'm struggling to see the point in buying anything beyond an Octavia. As perfectly capable a piece of transport car as my fridge freezer is at keeping food fresh/frozen.

All - Perception of brand desirability - ijws15

seems strange that a Seat (e.g. Exeo) can be rated differently to an Audi (e.g. A4).

Just shows that some people spend large amounts of money based on prejudice rather than facts.

By the way - I have a re-skinned Audi A4 - it is called a Skoda Octavia ;-).

All - Perception of brand desirability - dieseldogg

Sniff!

Steyr-Daimler-Puch, didnt even get a mention, bigots every one of you.

All - Perception of brand desirability - vxr53

I own a Mercedes CLK (W209) which I bought at the start of the year. I agree it does cost a little more to run and maintain than a 'normal' brand. But I'm a total 100% badge snob and LOVE the fact I drive a car with a three pointed star on the front and my neighbour only drives a Honda Civic. This gives me satisfaction so its worth the extra cost to catch people admiring your car when you fill up with petrol or go to the supermarket. They think he/she must be doing well to be driving a mercedes. I think look but dont touch what you can't afford, stick to your ford or vauxhall please.

so its worth the extra cost to catch people admiring your car when you fill up with petrol or go to the supermarket.

I'm not saying this applies to you specifically vxr53, but I think this is a mistake quite a few people can make - they automatically assume that because someone is staring at them and their car it must be in admiration and envy.

Consider the possibility that people who look at you when you are filling up or at the supermarket are actually thinking "jeez, what a w****er; he think's he's really something, but he looks a right t***er"

People can stare in scorn and disgust, as well as in admiration

Fair Comment, I will take it on board when I fill up next (quite soon as I average about 27mpg)

this is a mistake quite a few people can make - they automatically assume that because someone is staring at them and their car it must be in admiration and envy.

I've noticed that the people most likely to make this assumption are those who have sunglasses perched high on their heads

All - Perception of brand desirability - oilrag

Brand desirability pales into insignificance compared with watches.

The whole European industry is tiered into names and levels that a customer will pay. It`s possible to spend over £2,000 on a quartz `prestige` brand - that has an identical movement to a `lower` brand name (same group) watch selling at under £100.

Mechanical movements are trotted out as now desirable and charged in thousands. But they already had the tooling from the pre electronic age and have often just done minor mods (AKA - hand made) to £10 escapements.

The whole industry absolutely shrieks of `brand desirability` - but even here there is a sort of inverted perspective.

The guy in the cafe, angling his top-of-the-range watch so that others can see -certainly doesn`t realize that someone else wearing the £100 bottom-of-the-range is actually inwardly sighing because he knows that it`s basically the same movement. And that in these circumstances - quality really is a wallet induced illusion.

That`s the upside of cars in my opinion. It`s not as though you can stick a `quality` badge on a basic crate -charging the same, is it?

Though they may have tried at one time......Even then, the attempt is obvious and transparent - unlike in the watch Industry.

Edited by oilrag on 09/06/2010 at 08:16

All - Perception of brand desirability - M.M

Ignoring the stuff I wouldn't afford it's easy for me...

Top: Citroen.

Runners up: Skoda, Mercedes, Alfa, Land Rover.

Middle ground: Ford, Audi, Jaguar, Honda, Saab, Volvo.

Also rans: Vauxhall, Peugeot, Toyota, Mazda, Nissan, Lexus, VW, Suzuki, Subaru.

Bottom: Kia, Hyundi, Fiat, Renault, Seat, BMW, Chevrolet, Chrysler.

All - Perception of brand desirability - oldgit

Just as I thought, this type of post does get you anywhere at all.

I have now owned two VW Golfs, bought because of a misconception that they were a sort of 'quality' car which they clearly aren't.

They have lots of electrical gizmos and clever ways of interconnecting certain functions but intrinsically would I like to travel to Istanbul in it (or a lot of other 'clever' cars) - I think not.

Back to the days of simplicity and honesty. With BMWs who want to embark on a long journey with runflats and then experience a puncture - what do you do, find someone who can bring a new tyre to you out in the wilds.

All - Perception of brand desirability - oldgit

Sorry but I should have read my post more carefully as it was not very well composed and my first sentence should have read "Just as I thought, this type of post does not get you anywhere at all."

There are othe minor errors but I think that the essence of my post is clear?

All - Perception of brand desirability - Old Navy

Its all marketing hype, they are all bits of bashed out steel with some oily bits and seats.

All - Perception of brand desirability - OldSkoOL

I don't have brand desirability. I'm not a badge snob either.

I currently have a BMW 335d coupe. Simply because its a very capable car. I didn't get it for it's image or badge. I bought it because the engine is a masterpiece, yet it will do 47mpg and i wanted an auto so i can relax around town and i wanted to sit in a nice cabin, all things that make ME happy.

Thats the point, people have different desires at different times in their lives and these are based on their requirements. I currently have a desire for the FT-86 Toyota which isn't yet built. Why? Because its the first RWD toyota in years, it's going to have the boxer subaru engine which i've always loved and it even looks good.

I don't believe brand desire can exist. For example, i don't desire any other BMW apart from the 335d. Simply because it is the right package. I therefore, wouldn't get a 320i just because i desire the BMW brand.

However, i do think a lot of people buy cars for the brand and the brand only, i can't see why myself.

Edited by OldSkoOL on 12/06/2010 at 20:20

All - Perception of brand desirability - woodster

vxr53 - I'm constantly amazed at the people who live in poky little houses who drive cars at odds with where they live. I'd rather put the money or the payments into my home. But then I can't show off in that can I? I rather like the fact that no-one overlooks me and can't see into my home or garden, what neighbours I have are in a certain income bracket and enjoy being here for the same reasons I do, valuing the surroundings and teaching their children how to behave properly. I also quietly enjoy the fact that it's valued at about ten the price of an E-class, and paid for. But I drive a Golf soon to be exchanged for an Octavia. Do I sound brash,pompous and arrogant? No more so than someone imagining everyone's admiring their car and wondering what they do to 'achieve' it. Sounds like a minor psychological disorder to me!

All - Perception of brand desirability - oilrag

The Maestro was under- rated.

No badge there from `Rover` AKA - BL, BLMC and so on.

The car that almost died of shame - cos it had no manufacturers badge ;-)

Question was, did it have more prestige without one?

I think mine did.

For your information 'woodster' I dont live in a poky little house and I'm not not overlooked either! If I sound arrogant I dont care, I love my Mercedes and I can see me being loyal to the brand for the rest of my motoring years (In fact I was browsing the local dealer just yesterday). When I fill up with petrol I look around at other drivers and think......Look at the three pointed star, You know your jealous!

All - Perception of brand desirability - prm72

I don't have brand desirability. I'm not a badge snob either.

I currently have a BMW 335d coupe. Simply because its a very capable car. I didn't get it for it's image or badge. I bought it because the engine is a masterpiece, yet it will do 47mpg and i wanted an auto so i can relax around town and i wanted to sit in a nice cabin, all things that make ME happy.

Thats the point, people have different desires at different times in their lives and these are based on their requirements. I currently have a desire for the FT-86 Toyota which isn't yet built. Why? Because its the first RWD toyota in years, it's going to have the boxer subaru engine which i've always loved and it even looks good.

I don't believe brand desire can exist. For example, i don't desire any other BMW apart from the 335d. Simply because it is the right package. I therefore, wouldn't get a 320i just because i desire the BMW brand.

However, i do think a lot of people buy cars for the brand and the brand only, i can't see why myself.

I totally agree, thats why i drive and enjoy my E class, engine and autobox are superb, and the ride is certainly better than my previous Volvo S60, but i also like Vauxhalls, and would possibly go back to one in the future, especially the Insignia.

All - Perception of brand desirability - 659FBE

I think brand perception is only a part of the story in the VW/Skoda reliability contest.

The running gear and most of the trouble-prone fittings are of course common for a given platform - so no observations here, although build state may well be a factor - see later.

Having worked in the auto components industry for some time, it has become very apparent to me that much perceived "unreliability" is in fact mis-handling and actual damage caused by the mechanics employed to carry out servicing and remedial work - and in some cases, owners. The incidence of consequential problems and damage is far too high - the UK garage trade has a lot to answer for here.

In VAG's case, new developments generally apppear on an Audi platform first, where they may be sold at the highest price and will eventually end up in the Skoda bargain basement. Where there is an obvious design cock up such as the chain driven balancer 2.0 diesel engine, Audi owners get it in the neck wheras Skoda drivers escape by having to wait for the later engines - by which time the most serious design faults are rectified. The engine in question was modified to a gear driven system for the balance shafts.

Audi maintain their brand prestige by generous treatment when defects arise - but you've paid for it many times over in tied servicing.

VW are in the middle - not such good service and lesser trained mechanics (you haven't paid Audi prices with service levels to match) and disatisfaction levels are likely to be higher. Levels of mishandling certainly are in my experience.

Skoda are an oddity in that there are still dealers around who have based their businesses on the values required to keep an independent trader operating - although this seems to be changing as the corporate "VAG glass palace" empire permeates the Skoda brand. Despite this, on average I have found slightly higher levels of competence under this badge than the VW brand. This does not seem set to last.

So, Skoda = a better deal due to well-proven components specified late in the platform cycle, coupled with slightly better dealer handling. Owner perception probably tilts the balance a little further in favour of Skoda's ratings.

All - Perception of brand desirability - k9dan

Good thread, I'm happy to see Skoda at the uppermost in most of the listings, and can agree with 659. I bought an Octavia last year, on the strengths of proven VAG technology. All of the taxi drivers can't be wrong. So far I'm more than pleased, seems well built and well constructed. The economy is unbelievable, if I try hard I can get an average of 67mpg on a 10 mile run home from work. I chose the 1.9PDI over the new new 2.0, as again proven reliabilty, and no DPF's. Only downsides were an extremely long delivery time, and all the taxi drivers wave to you on the way past.

All - Perception of brand desirability - Andy P

I'm in the same boat - I bought my 335d simply because it has one of the best diesel engines around. Coupled to a superb auto gearbox it's a great car - economical when needed and mental when you're in the mood.

I was originally going to get an Accord Type-S diesel, but the lack of auto removed that, and apart from Audi and Mercedes, there was nothing else that even came close to the 335d as a complete package.

All - Perception of brand desirability - Westpig
...apart from Audi and Mercedes, there was nothing else that even came close to the 335d as a complete package.

Jag XF diesel S?

Jag: 275bhp, 442 lb ft torque, VED band E, 0-62 5.9 secs, 500 litre boot. £36,900 with most things as standard inc leather, satnav and splitfold seats.

BMW: 286bhp, 427 lb ft torque, VED band I, 0-62 6.0 secs, 450 litre boot. £34995 with

many things as standard..but.. leather = £1240, sat nav = £1565 and split fold

seats= £260. Add them up = £38060

Jag is in 5 series territory for size, so you get more room in it and for me the 3 series is J

a tad cramped in the cockpit.

Of course the Jag doesn't have the same 'image' as the BMW...which is why i'd have it.

All - Perception of brand desirability - Andy P

The Jag is an option now, but when I bought my 335d you couldn't get the Jag for the same price I paid for my BMW. I also doubt it would fit in the garage :-)

I wonder how Toyota will recover from their sticking accelerator problem, although this only affected a small percentage of cars and was rapidly dealt with.

I wonder how Toyota will recover from their sticking accelerator problem, although this only affected a small percentage of cars and was rapidly dealt with

I think even that is down to personal attitudes and preference.

I've had Toyotas, no problems, and I would happily have one again at some time in the future. The episode hasn't changed my opinion of them at all. To me, the whole Toyota recall scenario said a lot more about Americans and their litigation mentality.

But that brings us on to American cars........and some people seem to think it's impressive to have a Chrysler 300

All - Perception of brand desirability - Naffy

Hmm, good thread this.

But how do you feel vxr when you pull up next to an S class or simliar ? Some would say look a that 'poor mans' Merc

Each to their own if you want to blow your money on a car then great, wish I had the same mentality, but for me common sense and more important priorities take place, mind you thinking of it I could easily afford something special, but a my name states, cars are exactly that !

When I pull up next to a S class I dont feel inferior, I just admire somebody has good taste like myself. There is always going to be somebody who has a newer/faster/better spec car than you its just a fact of motoring. But I'm still in my twentys (Just!) so I feel I'm doing alright having a Benz Coupe. Love them or hate them you cant deny that pillar-less 3 pointed star coupes are an attractive car!

Not too sure what precise model it is you have, but agree frameless doors are great on any car, until the seals start leaking !

If it floats your boat then enjoy every second of it.

A friend of mine at the age of 21 bought a brand new RR Carmargue when they were current, £120,000 worth of car back in the 80's ! Fool as they are simply one of the most awkward lookng things on the road. Mind you he did also have a string of models with the prancing horse as its emblem.

All - Perception of brand desirability - J Bonington Jagworth

"They think he/she must be doing well to be driving a mercedes"

Not necessarily.. :-)

All - Perception of brand desirability - WellKnownSid

I enjoyed watching the HJ video on the new Polo 1.2 TSi. HJ describes it as being 'very well laid out' under the bonnet - in fact, under the bonnet it looks identical (give or take a turbocharger and a cylinder) to my wife's Fabia.

And therein lies the power of the brand. Skoda and SEAT are really VWAG, as is Audi, and a few other prestige brands.

On the other hand, you've missed out FIAT - the fifth or sixth largest car manufacturer in the world, who was about to take over GM's brands in Europe in 2009.

All - Perception of brand desirability - veryoldbear

... and now a car I DO NOT want .... Cadillac

All - Perception of brand desirability - davecooper

Driving my son in laws 320d down the M55 the other day and I was in the middle of a 6 car 3 series chain. My own Mazda 2 seemed much more desirable at that moment. As good as I am sure prestige German cars are, they are just too common and uninspiring in my view to be in my "desirable" list. A victim of their own success I suppose.

All - Perception of brand desirability - John F

Yes, a wonderful thread - a celebration of the heterogenous British individuality.

German/Jap top equal, the rest......also ran.

However, it's interesting to see how a Mercedes 'aura of excellence' is still somewhat pervasive in the UK - a classic example of a type of mass delusion - a condition to which the fundamentally irrational human brain is so prone. I wonder how it took hold in the first place? I know they were significantly more reliable a few decades ago - but then so were Beetles! It seems to have worn off elswhere in Europe.

For some time now it's been vorsprung d t for me......[see Le Mans results]

However, it's interesting to see how a Mercedes 'aura of excellence' is still somewhat pervasive in the UK

That's true, but I think it's only half the story.

It's slightly weird how Merc have a bit of a dual personality in the UK. Yes, alot of people see them as having the "aura of excellence" - but just as many people here will also have an image of Mercs as being the battered, indestructible cosmic-mileage diesel taxi in central Africa.

How many other brands have such a contrasting dual image?

All - Perception of brand desirability - WellKnownSid

How many other brands have songs written about them?

"Oh lord, won't you buy meee a Chev-ro-let Spark?" Doesn't have the same ring, does it?

Comedian Graham Fellowes - in his character of John Shuttleworth - has a song called "Austin Ambassador Y reg"

If that ain't desirable, what is?

All - Perception of brand desirability - NowWheels

How sad that some real people really do seem to buy into the myth of brands. I find it very sad that anyone would value themselves according to the sort of metal box they use, or that they expect others to value themselves the same way.

OTOH, it leaves the rest of us with plenty of opportunities to get a secondhand bargain, as used prices on "undesirable" cars fall massively behind the prices for the brands sought out by people with money to burn.

Personally, I don't care what brand a car of mine is, just so long as it's not one those valued by the look-at-me-brigade. Even if one of those vehicles was available at a decent price, I'd not want people thinking I was one of those over-moneyed folks who is insecure enough in their skins to that a fancy car makes people think they are a better person.

Even if one of those vehicles was available at a decent price, I'd not want people thinking I was one of those over-moneyed folks who is insecure enough in their skins to that a fancy car makes people think they are a better person.

Can be annoying the other way around though...when you've bought something 'nice' for yourself...and people presume the angle you've just mentioned.

Edited by Westpig on 17/06/2010 at 22:06

I take it I'm alone in my badge snobbery then?

Actually thinking about it Merc are just taxis in most european countries !

Actually thinking about it Merc are just taxis in most european countries !

Not nearly as often as they used to be. In our dotage we enjoy European city breaks - taxi ranks are more likely to contain Skodas than Mercedes these days.

I take it I'm alone in my badge snobbery then?

No, i'd find that very hard to believe. You are just more honest than most.

"Oh lord, won't you buy meee a Chev-ro-let Spark?" Doesn't have the same ring, does it?

Ford.

'....fun fun fun till her daddy took her T-bird away.....' old Beachboys number

All - Perception of brand desirability - davecooper

"German/Jap top equal, the rest......also ran."

For many maybe but for me, Jaguar wins hands down. Then of course there is Aston Martin, Lotus......

All - Perception of brand desirability - SteveLee

This is my order of quality with a dash of desireability thrown in, not necessarily the order I'd pick when choosing a car! For example I love big Citroëns but they are unreliable.

Jaguar (Highest)

Lexus

BMW

Honda

Audi

Toyota

Mazda

Ford

VW

Mercedes

Vauxhall

Citroën

Renault

Peugeot

Škoda

Seat (Lowest)

All - Perception of brand desirability - SteveLee
However, it's interesting to see how a Mercedes 'aura of excellence' is still somewhat pervasive in the UK

Indeed, the last Merc that was actually built properly was the 190 - they've been absolutely rubbish since. Apparently quality has improved slightly lately but I wouldn't trust one to be dependable. Rover went down the pan whilst actually making fairly reliable cars once the K-Series finally had its faults ironed out, Mercedes at the time were at the bottom of just about every reliability table but were selling like hot cakes.

Similarly when BMW lauched the (E30?) 3 series in the mid 90s there were all sorts of issues in build quality and design, panel alignment, rust, exploding 2.5 straight sixes - but the press didn't hark on about the problems and BMW muddled through unscathed. They were back to making reliable 3 serieses again after a couple of years, it seems German manufacturers can do no wrong - Audi electrics anybody?