Volkswagen Touran - VW Touran ESP Problem - chrisoluxor

I bought a '54 2.0tdi sport a month ago. Paid a high price because the car is clean as a whistle inside and out, just done 100k. Full VW service history.
Opted for no warranty since in the past I found it wanst worth the rag it was printed on.

A few days ago I had the car on some very gravelly roads, and in circumstances where the ESP should have kicked in, it didn't. No flashing light on the dashboard and certainly no change in driving. I had a mate in the car who knows his VW's, and to be honest, we were testing the ESP as I'd become suspicious as to why you couldn't turn the ESP off when pressing the button by the shifter.

The ABS works fine, and apart from the ESP the brakes are spot on and the car drives superbly, handles well, etc.

We whipped out a star drive and opened up the ESP switch console -- and lo and behold, we found the switch unplugged. We plugged the switch back in, and hey-ho, the "ESP OFF" light is on all the time. Obviously I felt somewhat chagrined.

So my question is this: If the ESP unit is faulty (as we suspect), why is there no warning on the dashboard? Even when starting up, the ESP light does not come on like all the others.

Is there any consequence of driving the car without the ESP on? I've heard that the diff can lock in the bends when it shouldn't, but I've not noticed any such behaviour at all, even when pushing the car to its limits.

Also I've heard that an ESP light on indicates that the ABS as a whole is faulty, but the ABS definately works!

The car is booked in for a service so I'm sure WV will come up with a fault, I just wanted some background info before I get talked into replacing the ESP unit.

Volkswagen Touran - VW Touran ESP Problem - Avant

Have a look at the thread (which should be at or near the top of the list as I've brought it up) headed VW Golf V: there are others with this problem which may be helpful to you.

Volkswagen Touran - VW Touran ESP Problem - chrisoluxor

I got this reply from Honest John (Thank you)

There is no warning because whoever sold the car to you unplugged it. If you bought privately you've been ripped off and there is nothing you can do. If you bought from a dealer you have full consumer rights against the dealer.

HJ

Honest John
ASK Honest John advisor

I bought it off a dealer (non-VW), so what should I do?

They have a good reputation

Volkswagen Touran - VW Touran ESP Problem - SINSPEED

Hi mate,

Wow!! I don't know what to say.. I've seen horror stories but to say they went to the extent of unplugging it to get the light out, that's horrific! I would certainly not worry about getting it fixed and just take the car back.. but then maybe they didn't do it and the previous owner did?

Either way, I'd send it back as HJ said.. you've got rights.

If you do decide you want it fixed, we've got them on the shelf ready for same day dispatch just call us for a quote on 0871 2887 666. We also offer the cheapest supply, fit & reprogramming service complete.. nationwide.

We've never heard of the diff locking up and the ABS will still function as it should so don't worry about that :)