Ford Focus 5 door 2006 - How to fit a roof box - JD69

Hi, I am trying to fit some roof bars but the plastic strip on the top looks pretty flimsy to attach the bars to.

I bought a kit CRUZ CR1075 from the roofbox.co.uk.

Is there a trick to get these to fit, its seems like the plastic black stip running over the roof wouldnt hold very much weight?

Do I have to remove something else, I already unscrewed the cover bits.

Thanks,

Jason.

Ford Focus 5 door 2006 - How to fit a roof box - Chris M

I am assuming the roof mounts of a 2006 Focus are similar to my CMax, in which case, the brackets screw into the roof. If the car has never had roof bars fitted, there will be mastic covering the holes. This needs to be removed. The plastic strip is purely for appearance. The roofbox.co.uk site doesn't show a picture of what you have purchased, but if it's the correct fitting, it will have come with 4 bolts approx 6mm dia. and approx 50 mm long.

HTH

Hi Chris, a massive thanks for such a fast response!

Its all as you said.

I sc***ped away seom maastick from one hole and found the screw hole.

It seems a rubbish design by fords to make it like this.

Now I am concerned that the bear metal around the screw hole will eventually rust and since I intend keeping the car several years am concerned to sc*** away the paint from the other holes.

It maybe that this is my only option and probably put a couple of primer coats of car paint on to make sure it dosent go rusty?

Jason.

Ford Focus 5 door 2006 - How to fit a roof box - Paul G1pdc

we use a roof box on our 10 year old v40 every year to go down to Devon. After the holiday I drip some old 3in1 oil onto the threads on the car roof and onto the threads on the roof box bolts, then it gets stored for another 12 months...

seems to keep the rust at bay. guess copper grease or even WD40 or engine oil would do the job. If you put "a couple of coats of primer" then you'll clog up the threads and have one hell of a task the following year, unless you've got a thread tap to run down there each time....

paul.

also keep an eye out on the maximum load you can put in your roof box.....its easy to shove more and more stuff in a roof box,,,,thats only made from thin plastic....

Ford Focus 5 door 2006 - How to fit a roof box - jc2

It's not just Ford-most modern cars use this or similar fittings.Put a short bolt or a grubscrew or even a spot of mastic in the hole.

Ford Focus 5 door 2006 - How to fit a roof box - Chris M

The threads haven't rusted on mine yet. Not sure what metal is used, but it is either an alloy or treated in some way. Use a little grease on the threads when you insert the bolts and be carefull not to cross thread. It's a nasty cheap way of holding on roof bars IMO.

Hi guys, 1 year on and went to fix rack again. But one of the plastic screws I had put back in from last year got jammed in. So I had to VERY carefully drill it out.

That did the job, but my recommendation is after you finish using the rack for the summer, screw the metal bolts back in not the plastic ones that came with the car, I think maybe some mastick had slid down and glued them in?

Also the motor gress on the bolts sounds a good idea.

Cheers,

Jason.

Ford Focus 5 door 2006 - How to fit a roof box - Paul G1pdc

HI JASON... its me again.....we've still got volvo!!!

yeh used mine again this year family of 4 down to north devon for a 1 week...

next time your at the ford dealer...ask about the price for the plastic screws, you might be lucky and they might well only be a few pence each...every now and again i'm suprised by a main dealer prices rather than shocked hahaa...

(thiings like wipers for the volvo are cheaper from the main dealer than halfords....) to be honest every service part is cheaper than that lot!!!!

copper grease (used sparingly) 4th year now with the same box.