Speed camera detectors advice please - pullgees

I'm looking to buy a GPS type bottom end of the market nothing elaborate. The Novus Piccolo and Inforad K1 seem to be popular. I just want them to do the essential thing of alerting me in the vicinity of a fixed camera but I don't want to be constantly reminded if I drift over the speed limit in a camera free stretch and I seem to get the impression that they do that. Any help please?

Speed camera detectors advice please - Sofa Spud

The advice is to concentrate on your driving and obey the limit!

If you don't want to do that, then it's probably cheaper to get caught and pay a fine or attend a speed workshop than to buy a detector!

There is always one self righteous prig when ever a thread of this kind is started completely overlooking their own bad habits.

Sofa Spud, I wish I was as perfect as you, 5.2 million motorists are not.

Speed camera detectors advice please - thirts

No , 5.2 million motorists choose not to be. Keeping within the speed limit isn't rocket science. Exceeding the speed limit is a stupid, dangerous and selfish act.

Perhaps you fail to be aware of the death and carnage that speed either causes or contributes to. Did you ever wonder why the speed limits are there - or are you one of those who thik the only purpose they serve is to help the Government raise money?

Speed camera detectors advice please - Dave Brand

>>Perhaps you fail to be aware of the death and carnage that speed either causes or contributes to. Did you ever wonder why the speed limits are there - or are you one of those who thik the only purpose they serve is to help the Government raise money?<<

Are you aware of the percentage of death or serious injury incidents in which one or more of the vehicles involved is travelling at a speed above the prevailing limit? Around 3%, or less, if I remember correctly. Speed cameras cannot judge inapproprieate speed, they can only judge speed in relation to a limit; the appropriate speed for a given situation may well be much lower than the posted limit, it may well be higher.

Edited by Dave Brand on 28/05/2010 at 18:01

Speed camera detectors advice please - Westpig
Exceeding the speed limit is a stupid, dangerous and selfish act.

Absolute Rubbish. Does that apply to emergency service drivers, driving at work?

It can be dangerous to speed and often is..but isn't necessarily so. Each circumstance is unique to its' own. Each set of circumstances should be assessed separately. Many speed limits are set too low..and conversely, many people drive too fast in conditions that they shouldn't do and that can include within a set speed limit.

Blanket statements as above do nothing for an informed sensible debate, nothing whatsoever.

Edited by Westpig on 31/05/2010 at 18:40

Speed camera detectors advice please - LucyBC

Viewing this post from the position of a road traffic lawyer I suppose I should be cheering from the sidelines as every speeding case would be argued out in court on relative safety grounds with the defendant asserting that the road conditions were such that they were driving perfectly safely.

In fact to take your argument to its logical conclusion there would be no such thing as a speeding offence - the courts would only prosecute for due care and attention/careless driving, dangerous driving (presumably with a number of death by careless driving and death by dangerous driving cases thrown in).

Unless they were personally witnessed driving otherwise by a policeman, caused a collision, injured or killed someone (when we might battle for them in court) everyone would be assumed to be driving perfectly safely and could carry on unimpeded by the law.

I don't really think that is a very well thought through argument, do you?

I don't really think that is a very well thought through argument, do you?

It is a perfectly well thought out arguement.

Not all speeding is dangerous and anti-social, it depends on many factors. I have never stated or suggested there should be endlessly variable limits or only a reliance on WDC or Reckless Driving offences..only some common sense on speed limit setting, not endlessly lower limits...and.. restraint on labelling all speeders as being dangerous and/or anti-social, it would depend on differing circumstances, every time. Some days driving at or near the limit might well be dangerous. On others, it may well be acceptable to drive noticeably above the limit (albeit still illegal and you'd have to take the consequences that go with that...or get yourself a speed warning device).

How are drivers ever to become good at hazard perception if the nanny state just automatically lowers limits?

The other thing is excessively low limits only affect the law abiding...not the truly ignorant, reckless and plain lawless who ignore the lot.

If you only prosecute cases when there is a collision or death or injury then there will be no deterrance and you will have a vast number of innocent dead and injured killed as a result of negligent drivers.

Speed limits save many injuries and many lives. The evidence is clear and incontrovertible.

Turn up some credible evidence to the contrary supported by peer review which originated from a respectable unversity or research centre as I have done and maybe we can discuss this further,

Edited by LucyBC on 01/06/2010 at 18:11

Turn up some credible evidence to the contrary supported by peer review which originated from a respectable unversity or research centre as I have done and maybe we can discuss this further.

How about nearly three decades of direct experience in that field...hands on stuff. Literally picking up the pieces, knocking on loved ones doors telling them they're not coming home, watching someone's life ebb away in mangled wreckage...or the worst one which gave me nightmares for many years, the chap who wasn't wearing a seatbelt in a 3 series BMW coupe and who headbutted the dashboard having been thrown from the back when the car hit a tree at speed, then burnt alive when it caught alight. Thankfully I didn't see that bit, but had to deal with the innocent member of public who did and smell the smell when I arrived 10 minutes afterwards and watched him still smouldering, then drive the innocent m-o-p's car to the hospital, because he succumbed to shock.

Is that good enough to discuss it further?

Have a look at Safespeed.org

...and 'no' I do not advocate a free for all with speed or a massive change upwards in speed limits..just a sensible middle of the road..you are trying to polarise the arguement in to one side or the other...i'm stating there is a middle way that is more credible.

Paul.Smith at Safe Speed was repeatedly asked to submit the data he claimed to have to the leading journal in the field – Accident Analysis and Prevention - so it could be peer reviewed but always refused to do so. Anyone can make assertions but at some point you have to stand them up.

The facts are well established that if you remove enforcement people will drive faster and a few nutters will drive carelessly or dangerously. There will be more injuries and deaths.

The facts are well established that if you remove enforcement people will drive faster and a few nutters will drive carelessly or dangerously. There will be more injuries and deaths.

Lucy,

I am not saying NO ENFORCEMENT. I am saying sensible well thought out limits. I am saying put a stop to ever decreasing limits, because all they do is have more people consider them less relevant...and sometimes they are right.

It's the same with the vast swathes of double white lines nowadays. The more you dumb things down, the more people consider them irrelevant...and often for good reason. The only way you get good at anything is to practice and stretch yourself a bit.

A nutter will always be a nutter, no matter what limit is set. Lower and lower limits only ever affect the law abiding. I'd like the average motorist to 'up their game' a bit, read the road ahead, learn about hazard perception, understand what a car does at a slightly higher speed, so they might handle it properly in an emergecny, etc, etc...not just drive like a frightened rabbit at an artificially low speed.

20mph limits o/s schools are a good example. Excellent idea when the kids are about going to school, well in favour of it. b***** painful when they're not, especially at well off peak hours...so...people ignore them. There are many, many roads out there that used to be National Speed Limit, then 40mph, now 30mph..the balance has gone too far the other way...where does it end? A chap walking in front with a red flag?

Have you ever considered doing some Advanced Driving lessons? If you did them on a motorcycle, the chances are the instructor might well be an ex or serving police officer...and they'd rigidly make you obey the limits in the towns..but...once out in the NSL they'd quite likely encourage you to open it up a bit. Why is that?...Maybe it's because a lot of the hazards are in the towns/villages and where it is safer to do so, you can learn by stretching yourself a bit.

No , 5.2 million motorists choose not to be. Keeping within the speed limit isn't rocket science. Exceeding the speed limit is a stupid, dangerous and selfish act.

Perhaps you fail to be aware of the death and carnage that speed either causes or contributes to. Did you ever wonder why the speed limits are there - or are you one of those who thik the only purpose they serve is to help the Government raise money?

There are no faultless drivers, you just worry about your own bad driving habits Your arrogance is funny really, but you can't see yourself can you?

Speed camera detectors advice please - Dynamic Dave
I just want them to do the essential thing of alerting me in the vicinity of a fixed camera but I don't want to be constantly reminded if I drift over the speed limit in a camera free stretch and I seem to get the impression that they do that.

My Inforad notifies of fixed cameras and constantly alams until you drop below the speed limit the camera is set to.

However, for areas where there *might* be a camera all it will do is give 3 bleeps and then continue to give you a visual warning (LEDs) and then a further 3 bleeps once you're past the temp zone. You have to go into the settings to change to this option, as by default the alarm is set to on, not just to notify.

In SPEC locations it will alarm each time you go above the average speed limit, but only give a visual indication when under the speed limit.

EDIT - here's a link to the operation manual:-

http://www.gpsinforad.com/supp_download_en.php?pn=K1

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/05/2010 at 14:29

Speed camera detectors advice please - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

I use a Road Angel Classic. Only alarms when near (adjustable) cameras or black spots.

The subscription is not cheap.

Speed camera detectors advice please - oilrag

I bought a Nokia 5230 to use as a Sat Nav and recently tested it on a trip into Germany. It makes a non intrusive bip bip sound at speed cameras and it works well here and in France Belgium and Germany.

You can download maps for the most of the world free from Nokia`s site - I put Europe, parts of Asia and Australia and Manila, on an 8gb card with room to spare.

It seemed to out perform my one year old widescreen Garmin - particularly fast at re-calculating.

No more map update charges because they are free at Nokia - who it seems have bought up Navteq maps.

You might think a narrow phone is no good compared to widescreen, but there is actually more road to see as the screen is deeper.

To say I`m impressed is an understatement - recently they were £80 in CPW although they now seem to have gone up a bit.

I bought mine from `3` who tried to convince me that a data allowance was required (contract) but no. You can download it all from Nokia and use a pay as you go sim card.

Actually, mine is now just used as a Sat Nav - I don`t need two phones.

Probably not what you need though Pullgees - as you may have to set a route to get the speed trap warning working. (Haven`t tried without a route set)

Edited by oilrag on 27/05/2010 at 17:19

Thanks for that DD It seems that it will be beeping a lot as it monitors known mobile pitches if I'm over speed limit. There is a K2 out now which has an adjustable volume control.

Speed camera detectors advice please - Dynamic Dave

The instructions read exactly the same for my Inforad V3.

When you hook up the Inforad to your PC to update it, you can then switch on / off the various warning with the Inforad Manager software.

Speed camera detectors advice please - SteveLee

Doing 29 mph in an urban area is perfectly safe - even past a school while the children are coming out, but doing 31 is life threatening, the car may spontaneously explode at any moment killing millions of people – even at 3 AM in the morning! Be warned! Any suggestion that limits are often stupid arbitrary numbers that help raise revenue is complete and utter bunkum, any person suggesting the latter is a puppy murdering nazi.

Now the WWW flame content is dealt with, the cheapo Garmins are good for this as speed camera data can be downloaded FOC from user groups where as you have to subscribe to get the camera database for some other GPSs.

Speed camera detectors advice please - piggy
I used to have a Snooper device but was still done for speeding (97 on the A55 Expressway). The policeman that got me was in an unmarked car so no amount of speed detectors would have helped. It only takes about five seconds for the mobile detector to take your speed,so IMHO ,speed detector warning devices are a waste of time. Thankfully, N.Wales now has a new Chief Constable who prefers to see his staff do proper police work rather than sit on slip-roads watching for motorists .0001 mph over the limit.
Speed camera detectors advice please - Bilboman

"Exceeding the speed limit is a stupid, dangerous and selfish act." This sentence is stupid, dangerous and selfish. A small stray over the legal limit can make an overtaking manoeuvre significantly safer. A faster ambulance means a life saved. A motorist constantly glancing down to check speed (rather than listening out for a discreet beep) in an area with constantly changing limits is less attentive to pedestrians, other cars, road signs and so on. Braking on a downhill gradient to stay within the "sacred" speed limit (guess where the speed traps are placed!) rather than wander over a little induces panic braking and adds to driver frustration, distraction and collisions.

"Exceeding the speed limit is a stupid, dangerous and selfish act." This sentence is stupid, dangerous and selfish.

All the arguments you use don't hold water - I've seen them many times before by the Jeremy Clarkson's of this World. Everyone will have a different view of how much over the speed limit in a given situation is and isn't appropriate. To one person it's 5MPH to another it's 10MPH and so on and so on. In effect speeders want to make up their own spped limits and then justify them (there wasn't much traffic, it was early in the morning, the weather was perfect etc etc)

Wait till you see a child get knocked down and then you views may just change....and the again you may convince yourself it was the child's fault, afterall you were only going a few miles above the limit.

Speed camera detectors advice please - SteveLee

I've no problem with urban speed limits, but exceeding the speed limit in many circumstances is perfectly safe, the limit is an arbitrary number plucked out of the air, the motorway/a-road limit was introduced for c*** cars on crossply tyres with dodgy brakes, dodgy headlights and no safety equipment - active or passive. A modern car stops quicker in the wet than a 1970s Cortina would have stopped in the dry. To use the “child running out” defence for general speed limits is trite, lazy, emotional blackmail. In most circumstances (A roads, B roads, Motorways, urban highways) that argument simply does not apply. Of course speed kills, stationary cars cannot run anyone over, but it is nearly always inappropriate use of speed that is dangerous - not the speed itself - and that's why across the board speed limits are a joke.

The A10 near where I live was a 70mph road when I started driving in the above c***py cars, houses are far from the road and it has an armco barrier for most of its length. I used to do 90mph regularly on the way to work and never had an accident. The same road is now 40mph and is absolutely littered with speed cameras – this is nothing more than a cynical revenue raising exercise, the limit is far lower than what is perfectly safe on the majority of the road, In fact the last accident I saw on that road was a Merc hitting a Porsche up the rear after the latter car panicked braked whilst going through a speed camera! “Speeding” i.e, going above the stated limit is NOT necessarily dangerous , however as more and more ridiculously low limits are introduced, drivers are more likely to ignore them altogether as they can see there's no justifiable reason for such low limits in many circumstances. Drivers who are forced to drive too slow start to focus their attention elsewhere, on their mobile phone, music or just plain daydreaming. Drivers not paying attention is the main cause of accidents – not driving above the stated speed limit.

the motorway/a-road limit was introduced for c*** cars on crossply tyres with dodgy brakes, dodgy headlights and no safety equipment - active or passive. A modern car stops quicker in the wet than a 1970s Cortina would have stopped in the dry.

By the same token these same spped limits were introduced when there were far less cars on the roads, and therefore safer

In fact the last accident I saw on that road was a Merc hitting a Porsche up the rear after the latter car panicked braked whilst going through a speed camera!

I wonder how fast the Merc was going

Drivers not paying attention is the main cause of accidents – not driving above the stated speed limit.

So you feel that going above the speed limts is paying attention !!!! Bizare.

But you are right most accidents do happen at low speed, in the commuter crush, and are therefore usually without major injury. However the fatal and severe injuries happen at speed.

There seems to be more heat than light in this argument.

Here are some figures that might help:

Speed and Road Accidents
1. Excessive speed contributes to 12% of all injury collisions, 18% of crashes
resulting in serious injury and 28% of crashes resulting in death. This means
that around 1,000 people are killed each year on Britain’s roads because
drivers and riders travel too fast, and over 6,000 are seriously injured.
2. Drivers travelling at higher speeds have less time to identify and react to
what is happening around them. It takes longer for the vehicle to stop. And
the crash will be more severe, causing greater injury to the occupants and
any pedestrian or rider hit by the vehicle.
3. Approximately two-thirds of all crashes in which people are killed or injured
happen on roads with a speed limit of 30 mph or less. At 35 mph a driver is
twice as likely to kill someone as they are at 30 mph.
• Hit by a car at 20 mph, 1 out of 40 pedestrian will be killed
97% will survive
• Hit by a car at 30 mph, 2 out of 10 pedestrians will be killed
80% will survive
• Hit by a car at 35 mph, 5 out of 10 pedestrians will be killed
50% will survive
• Hit by a car at 40 mph, 9 out of 10 pedestrians will be killed
10% will survive
4. At 30 mph, vehicles travel 44 feet (about 3 car lengths) every second. Even
in good conditions, the difference in stopping distance between 30 mph and
35 mph is an extra 21 feet, more than 2 car lengths.
5. Unfortunately, most drivers exceed the speed limit at some time. Over half
(53%) of car drivers exceed the 30 mph limit in urban areas and on 40mph
roads, 27%

The latest independent review of more than 4,000 safety cameras over a four
year period shows conclusively that cameras significantly reduce speeding and
collisions, and cut deaths and serious injuries at camera sites by 42%.

The review found:
• The number of vehicles exceeding the speed limit at fixed camera sites fell
by 70%. The reduction at mobile camera sites was 18%.
• Excessive speeding (15 mph or more above the limit) fell by 91% at fixed
sites and by 36% and at mobile sites.
• Average vehicle speed across all new sites fell by 6% overall.

• The number of people killed or seriously injured fell by 42% at camera sites.
This means there were 1,745 fewer people being killed or seriously injured
at the camera sites per year – including 100 fewer deaths per year.
• The number of people killed and seriously injured fell by 50% at fixed sites
and by 35% at mobile sites.
• There was a 32% reduction in the number of children killed and seriously
injured at camera sites.
• The number of pedestrians killed or seriously injured fell by 29% at camera
sites.

• There was a 22% reduction in collisions involving (fatal, serious or slight)
personal injury at camera sites. This equated to 4,230 fewer personal injury
collisions per year.

There seems to be more heat than light in this argument.

Here are some figures that might help:

Source please

Fuirther quote> This means that around 1,000 people are killed each year on Britain’s roads because drivers and riders travel too fast, and over 6,000 are seriously injured.

That means over a third of all road deaths are due to speeding, that can't be right.

Source is:

The National Safety Camera Programme: Four-year Evaluation Report published by University College London, December 2005

Speed camera detectors advice please - Dave Brand

1. Excessive speed contributes to 12% of all injury collisions, 18% of crashes
resulting in serious injury and 28% of crashes resulting in death. This means
that around 1,000 people are killed each year on Britain’s roads because
drivers and riders travel too fast, and over 6,000 are seriously injured.

The great thing about statistics is that they can be used to prove any argument. The figure relevant to speed as a contributory factor in road traffic incidents which is seldom quoted is speed above the posted limit - a much lower figure than the "excessive speed" value.

A lot of the claimed reduction in death & injury inciodnets at "safety" camera sites is less clear-cut than their proponents would have us believe. What is happening in some instances is the simple statistical phenomenon of regression to mean. Take the figures for a bad year, compare with the figures after cameras were installed & you'll "prove" that cameras reduce injuries where it's possible that injury levels may in fact be up on previous "good" years.

Speed doesn't kill . . . bad driving kills.

Speed doesn't kill . . . bad driving kills.

That's the old Safe Speed trot out.

See my response:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=84901#m980633

Edited by LucyBC on 31/05/2010 at 19:59

Speed camera detectors advice please - nortones2

Lucy BC: could you fix the link, as it returns the enquirer to the same thread we are on presently. Ta.

Speed camera detectors advice please - nomeandude

Try Micro - Fuzion

I'm looking to buy a GPS type bottom end of the market nothing elaborate. The Novus Piccolo and Inforad K1 seem to be popular. I just want them to do the essential thing of alerting me in the vicinity of a fixed camera but I don't want to be constantly reminded if I drift over the speed limit in a camera free stretch and I seem to get the impression that they do that. Any help please?

Try Micro - Fuzion .

Try Micro - Fuzion .

Two quick questions which I don't think have been asked before:

1. Would the "pro speed limit" brigade have any objection to speed cameras being fitted at 50 metre intervals on every single road in the country and catching every single driver for speeding with absolutely no discretion being applied in the matter (i.e. 1 mph over = points + fine) by the authorities? (This would, obviously render speed camera detectors redundant overnight and consign all future debate on speed cameras to the recycling box.)

2. Would the same worthy and utterly blameless collective of individuals agree with the assertion that speed is ONE factor in crashes, injuries and deaths but is rarely the ONLY factor at work? For me, speeding by itself (a simple 35 mph in a 30 zone) is a victimless crime, but combine it with lack of car control,influence of drink, influence of drugs, lack of observation, inexperienced driver, poor supervision of a learner, distraction, tiredness, any number of mechanical faults... and it is a lethal cocktail

I'm only saying...

I believe you have to have set speed limits and most people would not argue otherwise for reasons I made clear earlier.

However I don't have a problem with people buying camera detection devices. Come to that neither do the government or they would have made them illegal, In fact the authorities want you to know where the cameras are located (which happen to be areas where accidents have frequently happened in the past) or why would they put signs up and paint them bright yellow?

As far as point two is concerned the stats I posted earlier show that speed is a factor in a massive number of accidents leading to death and injury. Were those numbers of deaths to occur in a single incident it would be a tragedy on such a scale so as to invoke a lengthy period of national mourning.

That excess speed results in many road deaths and injuries is undeniable and the free-for-all that would seem to be implied by drivers deciding what is a "safe" speed and imposing their "own" limits based on the road conditions prevailing at the time is not only naive - it is laughable.

Edited by LucyBC on 31/05/2010 at 22:33

which happen to be areas where accidents have frequently happened in the past

Who says?

How many do you see on the only straight bit for ages where you can safely overtake the lorry...not the weary bit before with the bad bend and lack of vision, under the trees.

Then there's the problem with the stats used to site cameras e.g. 5 deaths = a camera. ... and the reason why known suicide sites now have speed cameras, because sadly it's a known spot for people to leap to their deaths, then get run over by some unsuspecting motorist.

..or a camera appears for no apparent reason, until you realise that one clown drove excessively badly for quite some time and just happened to 'wipe out' at one particular spot, killing five people in one hit. That accident site was purely random, yet now has a camera.

I drove past one at the weekend on the A303 in Wiltshire (westbound), half way up a short straight hill and the only bit of very short dual carriageway...designed to stop you briefly touching 70mph in a 60mph limit, when you'd like to get past the lorry. b***** irritating and sod all to do with road safety, i'd rather concentrate on the road than my speedo inthose circs i.e. an overtake.

Edited by Westpig on 01/06/2010 at 17:29

Statistics show that people very rarely commit suicide by jumping in front of cars on roads - fewer still by choosing accident blackspots. You get the odd suicidal motorway bridge jumper but mostly they leap in front of trains or off cliffs like Beachey Head - both of which are far more reliable.

On the statistical point you need five accidents at a site not five casualties.

With regard to the A303 is "my" road - I drive it from Honiton to London and back at least three times a week.

I know every camera on it.

It is also a particularly dangerous road as from Stonehenge westbound as it frequently varies from dual carriageway to two-way traffic.

And there are always a couple of chancers playing Russian roulette to make unsafe manoeuvres in order to gain a couple of positions or 25-30 yards ground where the road narrows westwards of Countess or similar passing a slow truck through the bends at Winterbourne Stoke - which will always be a highly dangerous decision.

Which is why both sites are fitted with cameras.

Statistics show that people very rarely commit suicide by jumping in front of cars on roads - fewer still by choosing accident blackspots. You get the odd suicidal motorway bridge jumper but mostly they leap in front of trains or off cliffs like Beachey Head - both of which are far more reliable.

You are missing the point. I agree that people don't usually commit suicide by leaping in front of vehicles. People that jump off m/way or fast road bridges, but then get run over as a secondary element to the intial jump get classified as an RTA victim. e.g. 'suicide bridge' on the A1 at Highgate, North London...(the camera is right next to it). So their choice of suicide location makes it become an accident blackspot for incorrect reasons.

On the statistical point you need five accidents at a site not five casualties.

That is incorrect. 5 deaths = camera. e.g. Bounds Green Road, Palmers Green near the North Circular Road in North London. Some years back a drunk and drugged man with 4 passengers in a 5 series BMW drove down there one night (30mph limit) at a truly horrendous speed, wiped out and killed himself as well as his 4 passengers. Camera followed within 12 months on a wide striaght road, with a slight kink in it before you have to stop for a major junction. Complete waste of time, there are many, many other more suitable places that camera could be.

With regard to the A303 is "my" road - I drive it from Honiton to London and back at least three times a week.
I know every camera on it.
It is also a particularly dangerous road as from Stonehenge westbound as it frequently varies from dual carriageway to two-way traffic.

I also regularly use that road, twice in the last 10 days...and have done so for over 30 years. Westbound through Chicklade, past the petrol station and 'little thief' cafe, there is a very brief uphill section that is dual carriageway. Halfway up the hill is the camera, just at a point you could make progress and get past a couple of lorries etc. There's no need to have it there, you are allowed to overtake, it is two lanes, the lanes don't run out to well and truly over the brow of the hill..if anything it is more dangerous, because it slows you down just at the point you ought to be getting a move on.

I don't mind cameras at true accident spots...many of them are sited for false reasons or appear at the safer part of the road, ignoring the more dangerous bit, which has many folk believe they are there for revenue raising reasons.

Two quick questions which I don't think have been asked before:
1. Would the "pro speed limit" brigade have any objection to speed cameras being fitted at 50 metre intervals on every single road in the country and catching every single driver for speeding with absolutely no discretion being applied in the matter

Not really, and you would probably find that traffic, as a whole, moved quicker.

For me, speeding by itself (a simple 35 mph in a 30 zone) is a victimless crime, but combine it with lack of car control....

Two points come to mind :
So you have set the speed limt at 35 mph, say the next driver setsit at 36 mph, is that OK and the next at 37 mph and so on and so on.... Where do you, the police and the community draw the line? If youthink the speed limit is too low, complain to your MP

2 The fact that you are speeding, demonstrates you are not in control of the car

And your comment about a victimless crime, are you mad. If the number of people killed/seriosly injured in speed related incidents was the number of fatalities/serious injured due to railways/airplanes, there would be a national out cry. Why we accept it on the roads in beyond my understanding.

Try Micro - Fuzion .

Reading the reviews of many of these speed camera detectors including Microfuzion you find that they all have a mixture of the same problems,ie: poor support, inaccurate updates or updates too infrequent, problems downloading, complicated instructions, missing fixed cameras, alerting on old camera sights where no camera exists and so on.

But can these reviews be any help at all - possibly posted by numbskulls or agents of rival companies. Frankly I'm left scratching my head I don't know which one to buy.

Speed camera detectors advice please - PatrickO

I personaly wouldn't bother with them, I had a snooper a few years ago and found the bleeping annoying. You should spot the fixed sites if you're paying attention. You should spot most mobile sites if you're that worried about it by scanning bridges and the road ahead at range although they take a very short time to ping you so not alot you can do and if you've been done before and are paranoid about it you should check every car you drive past to see if it's unmarked by looking for the mini nearside mirror, aerials on the roof, led lights inset in to the rear windscreen at the top and stab vests on the driver, car is usually 2 up. Get to know the unmarked cars in your area along with the registration numbers.

Speed camera detectors advice please - julie page

I try to stick to speed limits and most of the time I do but to these people who say things like it is easy to stay in the speed limits, your out of control if you go above the speed limit and so on, I say to them teach me how!

It is easy if you know the roads, but if your in a strange location with traffic all around you, trying to find your direction and which lane you should be in then it all to easy to find yourself over the limit even if briefly

Today on the M6 in road works, - naturally no work going on - 50 mph limit and variable speed cameras, lots of traffic I found my speed had crept up to 60mph. I guess I should have been watching my speed not what other vehicles were doing around me

The 20mph speed limits are a pain, I need to watch my speedo all the time to stay in the limit

Edited by julie page on 02/06/2010 at 00:36

I think most people attempt to drive within the limits and most also exceed them at some time.

But there are some people who do not believe there should be any limits and speed has no/minimal effect on casualty levels and statistically that argument cannot be sustained.

On the practical issue of driving within lower limits you might find the best practical option is to change down to a lower gear.

But there are some people who do not believe there should be any limits and speed has no/minimal effect on casualty levels and statistically that argument cannot be sustained.

There are also some people who think that there ought to be limits, but those limits need to be rational...and that there are times when a higher speed can be acceptable (even if it is above a posted limit), depending on the circumstances e.g. proper risk assessement having regard to present or likely hazards.

Those people often get lumped in to the catch all category stated above, because it suits those with a counter arguement to marginalise and ridicule their viewpoint, which is disingenuous, because that simple statement would be agreed by any rational person.

Speed camera detectors advice please - dieseldogg

I am 100% in agreement with Westpig above.

speed per se DOES NOT KILL, only inappropriatre speed , which could indeed be 25mph in a 30 mph limit

Depending on the circumstances.etc etc etc,. so 90 or 100 on a dry empty motorway of a summer sunday morning.......at about 05.30...............safe as houses

Plus cars are now vastly safer than when these limits were set

Plus plus , we will ALL be driving like mindless dorks, that accident was not my fault i was driving at x mph under the limit( with my head up my rear end mind)

scheesh indeed.

From a 30 year driver with no points accidents or convictions

( who usually tootles along at 50mph odd, & might..... just might get up to 65 on the Motorway)

PS>

our 17 year old daughter just passed her test first time with three minors, with minimial tution

I'ts ALL in the breeding you know

Edited by dieseldogg on 02/06/2010 at 16:45

Plus cars are now vastly safer than when these limits were set

Probably not to the poor sod who gets hit by the 'safe' car.

In the past I think I certain amount of natural selection took place - the nutters ended up dead and therefore could cause no further problem. Nowadays, in a modern car, it's like crashing a bouncy castle, the nutter inside the cars survive, but the poor sod they hit don't

There are also some people who think that there ought to be limits, but those limits need to be rational...and that there are times when a higher speed can be acceptable (even if it is above a posted limit), depending on the circumstances e.g. proper risk assessement having regard to present or likely hazards.

The problem with this is that everyone sets their own speed limit.

And of course I, like many many motorists will stray above the speed limt, But if I got caught I wouldn't bleet how unfair the world was. I would accept I made a mistake and would take the fine and the three points.(BTW, I have got caught speeding twice in my youth - they were both expensive lessons, which I have learnt from)

My real beef is with those motorist who deliberately and knowingly break the law. The ones who dip their brakes as they pass a speed camera and then accelerate once past it. This is not accidently straying above the speed limit. This is putting two fingers up to the law.

As I mentioned before, if you think the speed limit is wrong, complain to your Councillors and MP, don't just ignore the law.

Speed camera detectors advice please - Civic8

>>>My real beef is with those motorist who deliberately and knowingly break the law. The ones who dip their brakes as they pass a speed camera and then accelerate once past it. This is not accidently straying above the speed limit. This is putting two fingers up to the law.

Very much agree with that, and a lot of those that buy sat navs only get them to help them break the speed limit,one reason why I think speed cameras should be hidden, not exposed as those that repeatedly break limit wanted and got

Hide them I say

My real beef is with those motorist who deliberately and knowingly break the law. The ones who dip their brakes as they pass a speed camera and then accelerate once past it. This is not accidently straying above the speed limit. This is putting two fingers up to the law.

Ah. So it's not the speed that necessarily causes you the problem, it's the willingness for someone to break the law.

I have spent virtually the whole of my adult life ensuring people comply with the law..yet, i'm willing to say that some laws are plain stupid and that for credibility sake, we should strive to get them right.

Do you accept that the suffragettes were correct to break the law. I do.

Don't be a sheep. Open your mind.

Speed camera detectors advice please - Civic8

Ah. So it's not the speed that necessarily causes you the problem, it's the willingness for someone to break the law.

I have spent virtually the whole of my adult life ensuring people comply with the law

Breaking the speed limit is breaking the law is it not, regardless of what the limit is,so yes speed does cause a problem, where it is IMO doesnt come into it...

>>I have spent virtually the whole of my adult life ensuring people comply with the law

I really wish there was more of you where are they as I dont see them.,

It's a pity so many contributors to what could be a rational, lively and even interesting debate have a high horse as preferred mode of transport... (Haven't the roses come on lovely this year ?.....)

But why would anyone get hit? by a car

Only by self selecting for deselection.....Darwin at work. Mindless teenagers & drunks

Regarding children running out..................Hmmmmm

Again this should NOT happen, parental control & supervision & training on one hand

On the other the observant thinking car driver will be driving at an appropriate speed for the prevailing conditions, AND be ready to react/brake IF there are pedestrians in the vicinity who need watching. i.e. the classic Kid with a ball senario.

BUT BUT BUT

Accidents WILL happen....No need to ALWAYS blame the poor sod of a car driver ( nutters excepted, and yes I accept that they are out there, but they generally operate outside the law in all/most respects, they are not your average driver)

cheers again

Speed camera detectors advice please - OldSkoOL

I think that average speed cameras should be installed in the major towns and cities, near schools and in the biggest accident black spots.

They should also be adapted to carry ANPR and traffic monitoring software to spot uninsured, untaxed and dangerous tail gating drivers.

I have absolutely no issues with average speed cameras as I always try to stick to the speed limits in built up areas anyway. But occasionally i see aggressive tailgaitors, speeders and hear about uninsured drivers. All of which should be off the road.

Average speed cameras correctly signposted would force people to drive within the limit and if they had monitoring it could also stop people tailgating by issuing £60 fines (no points) for the first offence, £120 for the second and £60 and 3 points for the 3rd. (Just made that up).

I would have nothing to worry about as i'm MOT-ed, taxed and insured and i dont speed.

But i would then abolish all mobile speed vans and prefer more money is spent on road traffic vehicles and have the van operators patrolling which helps them deal with not only speeding / motoring offences but assisting in other areas of crime.

There are plenty of occasions where discretion can be used. e.g a police driver following a car for 1+miles that is travelling at 30 in a 30 only to find that driver is now doing 36 downhill (by mistake). A speed van would have instantly fined that driver. An all too common scenario where i live, a van that sits just past a blind bend on a down slope. Where as the officer may have pulled the driver over and given a warning. On the other hand, based on what the officer saw for the previous mile he might not even bother.

I was following a driver into north Wales the other week, new territory to me too. I was following him at 55 in a 60 for a few miles, on a dual carriageway but the evening was nice and i fancied a nice sedate cruise. We got into a 40 again he dropped his speed, even to below 40. We hit a 30, he dropped down to 30. Then we approached a railway bridge, his speed creeped up to about 35 and he got flashed by a static camera behind the pillar of the bridge, essentially hidden. Given his sensible driving prior to that i think it is completely unfair. A lot of you will use the child running into the road scenario here which is a fair argument. But this speed creep happens. We don't all always stick to the speed limit. It's not impossible but it is hard and we do sometimes slip up and go slightly over.

I'd like to think in this situation with going just over and the child scenario is that if i constantly looked down to monitor my speed i would be taking my eyes off the road more often and the split second i was looking at my speedo might account for a good number of yards stopping distance. Where as if i was looking straight ahead, even at 4 or 5 mph over i would be able to react instantly.

The people who do 10 mph over and more deserve to receive a lot more punishment, and this is a different mentally and scenario.

The question is where do you draw the line. That i believe is up to an officer not a camera.

Edited by OldSkoOL on 03/06/2010 at 14:11

There are a lot of "nutter" comments in this thread and I`ll comment on that having worked in Mental Heath for 30yrs or so.

Some people have a form of personality disorder (we used to call Psychopaths) that does not respond to treatment. Also many of these individuals are not at the bottom of the so called social pile. On the contrary they can be very successful individuals in society, often rising to the upper ranks of organisations.

Their behaviour is characterized by ruthlessness, a tendency to put themselves first and with no regard for others. With no conscience to hold them back, they often make moves in life to their own advantage - but to the detriment of others.

They are frequently extremely charming too and with high intelligence.

We often used to note that certain figures in public life and many peoples managers would fit this category.

But the only way their behaviour is modified in society is punishment - and the fear of punishment to themselves.

We need an overarching system of `control` on the roads for these individuals - because they are numerous and don`t care about others.

Cameras and points systems do just that.

Edited by oilrag on 03/06/2010 at 16:53

Speed camera detectors advice please - julie page

I agree with both sides here actually!

There is a lot to be said for variable speed limits though.

I often drive at at night and find myself having to do 40mph through road woks on duel carrageways, no work going on, little or no other traffic, so why is the speed limit not suspended. However i ive on a main road and some people tear down the road at double the speed limit

There is a junction near my house and because of parked cars it is hard to see vehicles on the main road, so accidants happen. The council have put in a bump and a 20mph speed limit on the side road. The other day the police set up a speed trap with a policeman with a speed gun hiding behind one of the cars that was parked on the verge obstruct the vision from the side road

I saw a crash today, it was on a duel carrageway but the traffic was moving at between 50 and 60. Group of guys in a Audi decided the other lane was going faster and was going to bully their way into that lane, The lady in the Renualt either did not react in time or decided she was not going to be cut up and a collisin occured.

Police turned up told off the driver of the Audi and that was it

Oilrag,

Just what %age of the population are actually psycopaths?, not including the locked up /non driving ones that is.

Me: a perfectionist ( not all good I appreciate), def NOT a psycopath as I worry as to what effect my actions will have on others.

BUT: I would run on red diesel ....except for the fear of getting caught

and: I would have a second pint before driving home .... except for the fear of getting caught.

And there are loads of 30mph areas where I would like to drive at 45mph,............ when safe to do so....except for the fear of getting caught.

So how are psycopaths any different?

etc etc etc, etc etc etc

Edited by dieseldogg on 04/06/2010 at 09:50

Hi, Dieseldogg,

Diagnostics are different, country to country - depending on diagnostic criteria. Here in the UK that is based on ICD10.

I`ve been skimming around for a bit of a primer on the subject and although I have not read all of this - the bits I have read, ring true.

Oh, numbers. 1% - 4% perhaps more, depends on the assessment tool. America generally rates higher than the UK with diagnostic rates of mental disorders.

But it`s for sure that you have had dealings with some of them - just as we all have without being aware of it.

www.cassiopaea.com/cassiopaea/psychopath.htm

Edited by oilrag on 04/06/2010 at 13:36

Oilrag

thanks, so from someone who has never studied statistics, a very low %age.

I suppose one would need to compare the stats for accidents involving psycopaths

against those involving "normal" drivers, and all properly "normalised" or whatever

PS

I may well have worked for a psycopath, an absolutly ruthless git, Ex PE teacher who talked himself into a managment job. No morals whatsoever. that i was ever aware of.

But a smiley face to his superiors.

For him to win...someone else HAD to lose.

a team....that was horses and he had the whip etc etc

and very big into delegation of duties and responsibility, but NOT credit.

cheers

M

I once dated one! The less said about that the better - but she made a string of men (I found out later) really suffer. So charming though for the first few months...

Edited by oilrag on 04/06/2010 at 13:53