Chrysler Voyager 2.5 diesel 2001 - Battery gores flat within 2 days - boy

Hi, if anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated. I have a 2001 Voyager 2.5 diesel which is draining the battery after 2 days. If I disconnect the battery - lead is doesn't drain the battery. I've had a new battery fitted and that and the alternator tested and charging ok. I have noticed the the digital odometer stays illuminated in the instrument display all the time which I think could be causing the drain.

Cheers
Boy

Edited by boy on 30/04/2010 at 20:07

Chrysler Voyager 2.5 diesel 2001 - Battery gores flat within 2 days - Peter.N.

Sounds like you have found the problem, connect an amp meter in series with the battery lead and battery and see what it reads, if its more than 100 ma ( tenth of an amp) you have a problem and need an auto electrician. If you want to faultfind it your self, pull one fuse at a time until you see the current drop then check the manual to see what it feeds.

Chrysler Voyager 2.5 diesel 2001 - Battery goes flat within 2 days - boy

Thanks for your reply Peter .N. I have just tried this but each time I disconnect the battery and connect the meter it sets the alarm off. Is there anyway I can prevent this while I pull the fuses?

Cheers
Boy

Edited by boy on 30/04/2010 at 21:10

Chrysler Voyager 2.5 diesel 2001 - Battery goes flat within 2 days - Peter.N.

Not to familier with these 'modern' vehicles but I would have thought that the alarm could be switched off or disconnected. You should be able to cancel it once the meter is in circuit but you will initially have to set the meter to a higher range.

Thank you Peter.N. I will give it a try later.

Chrysler Voyager 2.5 diesel 2001 - Battery goes flat within 2 days - Peter D

Slacken the earth clamp and secure the meter probes, one to the clamp and the other to the battery terminal, it takes two people as tyou now need to lock the car and let the sytems shut down now lift the clump up and take the reading. Remember the alarm also takes time to set properly, 30 secs or so. Beware you may have bonnet switch associates to the alarm. Regards Peter

Chrysler Voyager 2.5 diesel 2001 - Battery goes flat within 2 days - jc2

The illuminated odometer sounds like a sympton not the cause.

Some cars illuminate the oddometer for 30 secs after the ignition goes off and also illuminates if a door is opened ( including the bonnet ). Regards Peter

Thanks to all those that posted.

The odometer remines on all the time. I found strapping the bonnet alarm switch down prevents the alarm from going off. The IOD fuse appears to draw excessive current when removed the ododmeter display extinguishes . As already stated this could well be a syptom. I will leave the fuse out and see what happens to the battery. Then dig a bit further and see what else is on this circuit.

This could be a faulty relay for the instrument panel all being well. Regards Peter

Chrysler Voyager 2.5 diesel 2001 - Battery goes flat within 2 days - dave007

key is in wrong position when removed has 2 positions turn key to to stop then turn back one click