Worn front tyres with new rears - OldSkoOL

My front tyres have a few mm left, they have even wear and still plenty of treat but they are getting low after 30k.

The rears are practically new, same brand.

Pushing on a bit around corners i seem to get a slight twitch at the rear at some speeds. Do you think this could be attributed to the near worn fronts and new-ish rears.

I would expect understeer on the fronts if anything but i wonder if this twitch at the rear is the result of VSC braking or controlling the understeer?

Worn front tyres with new rears - idle_chatterer

Isn't the recommendation these days to put the most worn tyres on the front, the logic being that understeer is easier to control than oversteer ? I've seen posts on Civinfo complaining of rear pads wearing out quickly and the VSC being blamed so perhaps your diagnosis is correct.

Is your car FWD or RWD ? My 330d is often quite twitchy on broken surfaces - particularly transverse ridges on roundabouts, something you get quickly used to and (I've been told) is noticeable on lower powered variants too. Mine has worn its rears more quickly than the fronts too - in marked contrast to all of my previous FWD cars but perhaps not too surprising.

Worn front tyres with new rears - diddy1234

round-a-bout's quickly scrub the tyres as well.

A regular problem in my area

Worn front tyres with new rears - BigJohnD

www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5YsQ_a_ijA
Vicky B-H explains why new tyres should go on the rear.

Advice from Michelin: "Whether you have front or rear wheel drive, we recommend that you use newer tyres for the rear set."
www.michelin.co.uk/michelinuk/en/car-van-4x4/less-...l

Edited by BigJohnD on 12/04/2010 at 19:54

Worn front tyres with new rears - Marc

"My front tyres have a few mm left, they have even wear and still plenty of treat but they are getting low after 30k.

The rears are practically new, same brand."

30k from a set of fronts with "still plenty of tread" left is very good going. What tyres are they? On what car?

Rear tyres on a FWD car will last seemingly forever. Put the rears on the front to wear them out and the new tyres on the back.

Worn front tyres with new rears - nortones2

We just had the dealer fit two new tyres on the Jazz: one of the old ones was made in 2003 according to the marking on the tyre. Getting on a bit I thought. Must have been NOS as the car was registered in 2005. Wife asked for the new tyres to go on the rear, but they ignored/service desk didn't pass on the message.