VAG 507 spec oil - cheap in Asda - daveyjp

1 litre of Mobil 1 ESP is just £8.50 at the moment. Compared to what I used to pay this is a bargain - the cheapest I ever found it was at the Skoda dealer and they wanted £12.

5 litres is £32.

Since getting the X type top up oil is a thing of the past - unlike VAG diesels the Ford 2.2 level doesn't drop.

VAG 507 spec oil - cheap in Asda - Nomag

That is cheap....I shall go and pick some up tomorrow.

Agree with the difference beween the PD and Ford 2.2 - I usually have to put about 1.5 litres in my PD 170 every 10k, whereas the 2.2 in our S-max has used no oil in 7k miles from new. Added to that the Ford oil is half the price of the PD spec stuff!

VAG 507 spec oil - cheap in Asda - Avant

With previous VAG diesels - two VW PDs and an Audi 2.5 V6 - I had to put in a littre at abviut 5.,000 miles and never needed to top up thereafter. Audi even provided a litre with the new car for that purpose.

The Octavia CR engine hasn't used a drop in 12,000 miles.

VAG 507 spec oil - cheap in Asda - rtj70

The Mondeo TDCi (Euro IV) I had on a 2003 plate never used any oil at all. You'd find it difficult to spot if the Mazda6 uses any oil because the oil level goes up with diesel dilution in the sump!

Had an interim oil change twice now.

VAG 507 spec oil - cheap in Asda - Roly93

Thanks for bringing this to our attention..You can pay up to £16 (if you are stupid or on expenses) at a BP garage for this oil.

My A4 2.0 TDI needs about 1.5 litres between services so roughly 10000 mile per litre which can't be grumbled about really. When it was brand new I used a litre in the first 2000 miles, but it settled right down aftre this.

My theory is that most of the oil goes through the turbo.

VAG 507 spec oil - cheap in Asda - Sofa Spud

We recently bought a Touran 1.9TDI and it needs this special oil that's something like £41 for 5 litres at Halfords. My old Passat 1.9TDI used oil that was less than half that price. Unless the oil lasts much longer between changes or improves fuel economy, these 'gourmet 'engine oils seem like a bad road for manufacturers to have gone down.

VAG 507 spec oil - cheap in Asda - JohnM{P}

The handbook for my 05 Golf 1.9TDi 105 specifies oil spec VW 506.01 for vehicles on long-life servicing, and VW505.01 if on normal time/distance interval. This also applies to the 140bhp engine.

There is a service booklet addendum which states for the 140bhp with a DPF, VW507 must be used (no distinction made between longlife and normal servicing).

Presumably to avoid variant of oil proliferation, VW &/or the oil companies seem to have standardised on VW507 and dropped VW506.

If your Touran does not have a DPF and is not on longlife servicing, double check in your handbook to see if you could consider using the cheaper VW505.01.

VAG 507 spec oil - cheap in Asda - DP

I run our 02 Golf TDI PD130 on 505.01, and change it at 10k (every 8-9 months). I have never needed to top the level up between services, even with 100k on the clock. It drops from max to just under half on the dipstick progressively over the 10k period.

The Haynes manual for the Golf simply recommends 507.00 for all mk4 Golf diesels, probably in the interests of simplicity as it's fine for both Longlife and Time & Distance schemes, albeit unnecessarily expensive for the latter.

I still can't believe on such a critical item for the PD engine that no mention is made under the bonnet about the need for these specific oils. Bearing in mind that handbooks get lost and often aren't passed on to second/third owners, it's no wonder so many end up with the wrong oil in them. That said, I still think the idea of using known quality oil to lubricate highly stressed fuel injection parts is a much better idea than relying on variable quality fuel to do so. It's just a shame VAG scored an own goal right at the end by failing to make this clear outside of the handbook.

Edited by DP on 10/04/2010 at 16:16

VAG 507 spec oil - cheap in Asda - 659FBE

I would generally agree with the above comments, although it's worth pointing out that 505.01 oil is generally semi-synthetic wheras 507.00 is fully synth. I am not keen on the use of anything other than fully synthetic oils in turbocharged diesels due to the tendency of lesser oils to form varnish deposits on the shafts.

Much of this can be due to "heat soak" if an engine is not reasonably cooled prior to switching off, but testing I have done in the past (of a general nature on several engines, mostly rather larger than the PD) would suggest that synthetic oils do not form these deposits, even under abusive conditions.

As I tow with my AWX, I use 507.00, but under light general use, I'm confident 505.01 would be OK with care. 10k intervals is pushing it for a semi-synth - unless your operating conditions are very favourable. I change at 7k.

PD engines seem to vary a lot as far as oil consumption goes. Mine, like yours does not require oil between 7k changes and goes from the top bend to the centre of the hatched portion of the stick. It's very important not to overfill these engines as any excessive oil-laden blowby will coke the EGR valve. (The worst engines show visible external oil leakage at this point). The best engines seem to be those which are thrashed when young, then carefully and considerately treated with reasonable oil change intervals. Any comments from others?

The documentation is a Teutonic thing. They just couldn't imagine anyone getting it wrong - so no info in the engine.... Numpties.

VAG 507 spec oil - cheap in Asda - JohnM{P}

Both my '93 Audi80TDi and '97 Passat 110 used a lot of oil (4 litres? - long time ago!) up to the first service, then settled to perhaps up to a litre between 10k services (I had run them in 'carefully'). 2 of my clients at the time had TDi Sharans; both found the oil below min when they did a rare check before the first 10k service. However, my colleague's Sharan of a similar age was not oil thirsty when new (after I had persuaded him to buy top up in advance!).

With my '05 Golf, I let it rev freely from new but only on a light throttle (yes, I know diesels aren't throttled, but you know what I mean!); if I remember correctly, I added 1.5 - 2ltr before its first service at 18.5k. Now at 141k, it is using approx 1ltr per 10k - I check regularly and keep at maximum.

(Thinking about it, these, and other TDis I drove, often came back from servicing with the oil level over maximum - I guess they did that assuming lease cars were never checked between services!)

VAG 507 spec oil - cheap in Asda - woodster
Avant - how would you describe the CR engine? Did you have previous VAG Diesels, and if so which?
VAG 507 spec oil - cheap in Asda - DP
I would generally agree with the above comments, although it's worth pointing out that 505.01 oil is generally semi-synthetic wheras 507.00 is fully synth. I am not keen on the use of anything other than fully synthetic oils in turbocharged diesels due to the tendency of lesser oils to form varnish deposits on the shafts.

Comma's 505.01 oil is a fully synthetic, and reasonably priced at about £38 for a 4.5 litre can. Fills the Golf's sump with a couple of hundred mill left over.

VAG 507 spec oil - cheap in Asda - Sofa Spud

QUOTE:..."If your Touran does not have a DPF and is not on longlife servicing, double check in your handbook to see if you could consider using the cheaper VW505.01.""

Thanks - I'll look into that.