Peugeot 106 - HANDBRAKE STUCK ON - Pablo202

Hi,

My daughters handbrake got stuck on the other day and I thought that it was because of the rain we had. First gear, bang and away she goes. Today, same thing after driving to the end of the road. She tried to reverse and it's stuck again.....and then again....Any ideas?

Pablo

Peugeot 106 - HANDBRAKE STUCK ON - stevek

I had exactly the same on my saxo. The brake cylinders were leaking and contaminating the linings and causing them to stick to the drums when the handbrake was applied.

now that sounds expensive....go on...give me the bad news!!!

Peugeot 106 - HANDBRAKE STUCK ON - stevek

It was about 3 years ago and I think in total it was around £120 all in inc new parts. That was at an independent not a main dealer.

Peugeot 106 - HANDBRAKE STUCK ON - 659FBE

The Bendix drum brakes fitted to these cars are a poor job.

The reason the handbrake is jamming is that the lever pivots on the shoe webs have seized solid so that the handbrake will not release. Unless you take immediate action, there will be a big bang as you move off, and a lining will become detached from a shoe.

A complete stripdown is needed with all suspect parts replaced and the pivots cleaned and lubricated with copper loaded anti-seize compound. The slave cylinders seldom last more than about 3 years and it would be very prudent to replace them. You will need new stub axle nuts.

There are no short cuts - these cars often fail the MOT test due to inadequate rear brakes.

I stripped them down and as suspected a part of the lining had come off and jammed the brakes on. I replaced the shoes on both sides and Bob's my uncle. The drums were both okay which was a result.

Thanks to all that replied and to the nice bloke in VKM Burgess Hill who identified the problem as soon as I said "106 brakes". Top john banana. Only cost £28.00. Cracking stuff!!

Pablo

Peugeot 106 - HANDBRAKE STUCK ON - mickyh7

Good result, I watch this forum,and others, a lot (as I tinker with cars and love free information) and its good when people like yourself come back and give us the results.And you saved at least £100 for a very easy job really.

All the best - Mick.

mickyh7,

Great ain't it!!! It took some time....with springs firing off all over the place....but before I took it to bits I took a photo so I had some idea how to put it all back together. A bit fiddly, would have been real bad if I had had fat fingers!!!

Regards

Pablo

Peugeot 106 - HANDBRAKE STUCK ON - mickyh7
Wish they had camera's when I was young ! Thats a good idea. And I know what you mean about the springs flying around.Whoever invented those Drum Brakes must have disliked fingers !
I occasionally fix cars at work for the lads,they cant believe how a Thirty minute job would have cost them ££££'s at the Dealers.
Even an oil change nowadays is £40-£50 with a filter. Unless you DIY !
Good Luck - Mick.