Ford Fiesta - advice PLEASE!!! -timing belt/water pump problem - sh4untheshanks

Hello

I'm looking for some advice, ahead of speaking to a garage that is having my girlfriends car in again tomorrow....i'll start at the beginning!...sorry if i ramble

She bought a 2002 fiesta zetec in October last year, the car was fine but last service didn't report a new timing belt so she booked it in to a local garage to get that work done 'to be on the safe side' of potentially an expensive repair if it failed. The work was done in January and the car had not experienced any problems leading up to this time.

The garage carried the work out replacing the timing belt and also the water pump approx £250 cost

Ever since she had the car back and seemed to be a 'tapping' / 'clicking' sound when she first started the engine, it seemed to be coming from the left hand side of the engine - sorry im no mechanic as u can tell!!...the problem was intermittent - she called the garage who told her it may just be the fan belt noise but not to worry too much.

The problem got worse two days ago - the noise came, got a bit louder after driving 3 miles, she heared a 'bang' , pulled over and could not start the car again - it would turn over but not fire. Recovery called and they said that the timing belt seemed in tact but the fan belt had snapped...he also noted that the water pump seemed 'out of position' and probably led to the fan belt snap but that she would have to have the timing checked again

She has had it taken back to the garage and he is looking at it tommorow but said - 'it doesnt look good' and that 'I told you about that fanbelt love - it's probably knocked the water pump off'

right ramble over - questions i have are....

1. would a fanbelt likely be able to dislodge a water pump?

2. Could it be that the water pump was not fitted correctly leading to the noise and fan belt prob?

3. If the timing belt is still in tact will it be an expensive repair? ( i know that when my brothers corsa went he tried to start it and it wrecked his engine) Or will it just need rechecking for timing, new fan belt etc??

I'd just like ANY advice or help from anyone on this, ahead of me going to see him tomorrow and him telling me whatever he wants.

It just seems unfair that the work he carried out recently in order for her to avoid this problem seems like it has caused it....hope this makes some kinda sense to someone out there.

Thanks very much for taking the time to read (it has probably taken you some time) :o)

Shaun Evans

Ford Fiesta - advice PLEASE!!! -timing belt/water pump problem - Englishbullterrier

1. would a fanbelt likely be able to dislodge a water pump?

NO, simple answer. Belt is made of rubber an water pump made of aluminium alloy and bolted to block.head. Impossible.

2. Could it be that the water pump was not fitted correctly leading to the noise and fan belt prob?

Remotely possible, but hardly likely if the mechanic had even 1 pennyworth of sense

3. If the timing belt is still in tact will it be an expensive repair? ( i know that when my brothers corsa went he tried to start it and it wrecked his engine) Or will it just need rechecking for timing, new fan belt etc??

If the timing belt is still intact and has not skipped any teeth, then the timing still should be correct with no subsequent piston/valve interference causing big bills.

I'm very interested to know what he outcome was please.....

By the way, any mechanic worth his salt would have replaced the fan belt.

Ford Fiesta - advice PLEASE!!! -timing belt/water pump problem - Englishbullterrier

What was the outcome on this please................