Vectra C - diesel or petrol Vauxhall? - dumbo

The prices on fairly new ones of these are very reasonable. In fact they seem lower than cars of the size below. I was looking for a Seat Leon, astra, focus size but the value comparision to the Vectra is leading me there.

Having spent a lot of time reading this forum on the problems of modern diesels I resolved to go for petrol. Then the price of fuel started to climb and I'm wondering if I know what to look for, and what to do in the way of preventative maintenance, I could avoid really damaging expense.

So I'd value advice on the above and things like: 120 or 150hp CDTI engine: which trim would prove the most durable: should the oil change intervals be shortened, etc, etc.

And if anyone knows where to buy the cars at their best price, that would be very helpful, too.

Edit: I've just found HJ's review of these cars by scrolling down the page, which I hadn't done before. By gum, there's a few awful things to go wrong ain't there? Would I be better off with the 1.8 petrol?

Edited by dumbo on 31/03/2010 at 04:56

Vectra C - diesel or petrol Vauxhall? - Graham567

I've just got rid of my 07 plate 1.8vvti petrol Vectra.I wouldn't recommend buying one.It had a new clutch(common fault) in at 2500 miles and a new thermostat at 8000 miles.The overall experience was jerky gear changes,stupid indicators,noisy tyres,noisy engine etc.

Why do you think they are so cheap?Its because they are rubbish.

The 150 cdti diesel is suppose to be very powerful but it breaks alot with expensive parts required.

The 120 cdti diesel is less powerful but isn't suppose to suffer from the 150's faults.

They are cheap for a reason so i'd look for something else.

Vectra C - diesel or petrol Vauxhall? - V69

Why do you think they are so cheap?Its because they are rubbish.

They are cheap for a reason so i'd look for something else.

Can't agree with this. I'm into my 4th year of running a 1.8 petrol Elegance which is on an 02 plate. It had done only 13k when I picked it up from J & G Bland in Haverfordwest who had supplied it to the original owner and serviced it throughout his ownership. They continue to do so. It is now coming up to 63k and I can honestly say that it has proven to be a great car. I love driving it especially on long hauls when it just eats up the miles effortlessly. It is supremely comfortable, handles like a dream and seems to thrive on neglect. By this I don't mean that it is not properly serviced or checked regularly but that it is never garaged, gets cleaned irregularly and is used primarily in "4x4 country" ie rural, coastal West Wales, an environment that is a rigorous test of any car. Problems? Not many, and those have been resolved quickly and efficiently by Blands( I have no connection other than as a satisfied customer). As I recall these were a water pump at 14k, a clutch spring at 40k, a thermostat at 50k and two coil springs at 62k. None of these rendered me immobile. In short, I love this car and will definitely replace it with a similar model when the time comes. Can't comment about diesels. Never had one and don't want one.

Vectra C - diesel or petrol Vauxhall? - dieselicious

I've got a 56 plate Vectra CDTi150 Auto - it's a company car, and I'm the 3rd unlucky owner. I'll never have another Vauxhall as long as I live. In 14 months, I've had broken front springs, new EGR valve, new exhaust manifold. The autobox clunks. The car pulls to the left and the dealer / independent have never been able to fix it. The interior is a soulless place to be. And i have to make 4 button pushes/knob turns just to switch between FM and AM.

Okay, you have , with HJ, convinced me. It's really just as well as the missus has been rubbing my nose in the fact that in a a couple of years time I may not be able to climb out of a normal car. Anno domini and all that.

So I'll have to start researching MPVs or similar. Trouble is that I'm long and lanky and can't sit comfortably in many cars of any sort. And petrol engines will be thirsty on this heavier sort of car......

Vectra C - diesel or petrol Vauxhall? - madf

Buy a small upright car. With lots of space - for a hat and stiff joints.

I did. (a Yaris).

20 years ago I would have laughed at myself for being an old f***. Now I am one, it all makes sense.

Neighbour has a Suzuki mini MPV thingie.. ease of entry and upright and cheap to run ... 50 mpg plus.

Once you pass 60, comfort comes first and safety second and running costs second as well..

And reversing is easier when you have a small car with sensors... especially if you have a sore neck...or arthritis.

( I hasten to add at this point I have not got arthritis :-)

Vectra C - diesel or petrol Vauxhall? - Avant

If ease of entry and exit are (or will be) a priority, try, as well as a Yaris, a Honda Jazz and Nissan Note. Possibly a Renault Modus - I've never sat in one so can't be sure.

A smaller MPV like a Citroen C3 Picasso could do the job - this one is quite new on the market but no doubt you'd get a good discount if you bought new, as Citroen are usually generous.

I haven't had a Vauxhall in 40 years of owning cars - I've tried them often but none has made me want to buy it.

If you're going for nearly-new, you could try a car supermarket where there should be a good variety at competitive prices - but they tend to be mass-market models rather than the ones I've named above.

Edited by Avant on 31/03/2010 at 22:52

Vectra C - diesel or petrol Vauxhall? - Marc

I've been happy with my Vectra, a 53 plate 2.0T SRi, bought at six months old with around 4k on it. Car now has 86k on it. It replaced an 01Y Mondeo 1.8LX.

As well as brakes and tyres I've so far had to replace rear shocks, front springs, wiper linkage, one caliper and the entire exhaust.

It's fast, comfortable and returns about 32mpg average.

It's on 'ecoflex' servicing which works out at around 16k/18 months between services with Castrol longlife oil. IIRC this is no longer offered and the usual time/distance servicing is now the norm.

SRi and GSi spec have lowered/stiffened suspension with 17" wheels. Design and/or Elegance have standard suspension with 16" wheels. Elite is top of the range with standard suspension and 17" wheels. In retrospect I would have gone for an Elite.

The FIAT derived CDTi engine has had some issues apparently (as have most modern diesels it seems)

You should check out this website :

http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Edited by Marc on 01/04/2010 at 01:27

Vectra C - diesel or petrol Vauxhall? - davidh

Just to add some balance, I drive an Astra with the 150 CDTI engine and I've had no problems with it over the last 2 years and 19K miles (mostly urban). I drive spiritedly and give the car no special treatment.

Very pleased indeed with this engine, the gearbox is nice and slick and it pulls like a train, although I have to say externally it seems a bit noisier than a Renault/Peugeot diesel but quieter than a Mondeo non PSA diesel. Inside the cabin you'll get a little rumble when cold but even less when warm. There's no vibration from the diesel engine through the pedals, gearstick or steering wheel. Certainly on the Astra if you choose this engine you get the stiffer "sports suspension" which isnt too bad but for some it might just be a little over the edge of comfort. Turn-in to corners is excellent and the car really hangs on - its a great car for new drivers/or unconfident drivers because it has so much confidence inspiring "get up and go" the gear change is superb (Although the Vectra uses a different box) coupled with powerful brakes and neat handling.

Reckon on 37.5 mpg round town, and 54 or so at a steady 70 in 6th.

Dont forget that most people on the internet complain about cars, very few satisfied people actually post anything so you dont get to hear about the good cars which vastly outnumber the lemons.

Vectra C - diesel or petrol Vauxhall? - R2-CMax

Just to add some balance, I drive an Astra with the 150 CDTI engine and I've had no problems with it over the last 2 years and 19K miles (mostly urban). I drive spiritedly and give the car no special treatment.

Dont forget that most people on the internet complain about cars, very few satisfied people actually post anything so you dont get to hear about the good cars which vastly outnumber the lemons.

Just returned a Vectra 1.8 (not the VVTi) after 4 years and nearly 60k. I've also driven the CDTi 150 and VVTi on hire. I never thought I'd find myself leaping to the defence of the Vectra!

The good stuff is that they are very practical, cheap and pretty comfortable to drive over long distances. Seat goes back a long way so good for tall drivers. CDTI 150 seemed rapid, 1.8 VVTi a bit better than the older 1.8, but seemed to have more engine vibration at motorway cruising, certainly not a giant leap for engine-kind over the old model. I think they're much quieter than some of the smaller cars the OP was thinking of, particularly Focus II.

Bad stuff - clutch is juddery when cold, occasional error from coolant sensor, a few bits of fragile trim. The big one is that they (for me) appeared to be engineered reasonably competently but with absolutely no passion. I can't imagine that somebody sat in the prototype in Russelsheim, looked at the dash and thought, "Yes, I'm really happy with that so I'll sign it off for production".

Would agree with the comments about internet reviews... because it is a known problem does not make it inevitable, or even that common - there are a lot of vectras about, mostly 1.8 petrol or 1.9 diesels too, and the internet tends to get comments from vocal minorities (particularly the extremely unhappy!) - although that's not to say for a moment that people shouldn't report the problems they have.

Because they're common, it does mean that you can shop around, and I think that at auction, an ex-fleet vehicle that's spent its life on the motorway could be an excellent buy.

Lastly, you do get used to the indicator stalks. Trust me.

Vectra C - diesel or petrol Vauxhall? - brettmick

I had the 150 engine in a 05 plate Saab. A weeping fuel pump (£170 fix) was the only problem I had, got 49 MPG over the 70k miles and three years I owned the car. I miss the performance and fuel economy, I don't miss the dreadful gear change 1st to 2nd.

I now have an 04 Legacy Estate with the 2 litre petrol and a similar mileage (via a new 1.8T petrol A3 but work changed and I got the train so a car was only required for shopping and the tip). It is so much better screwed together and the engine is rock solid.

Now I think I would only go diesel if I was doing milage of 10k+ a year and 50 miles per run and/or had a huge car and wanted some performance and MPG.

Durable? Corolla or Civic. Best place to buy? Just before a little old man is part-exchanging it for a new one at the main dealer.

Thanks for all your replies. My computer has been down for about a week which is why I haven't kept up with the thread.

I've been looking at 'high rise' vehicles and have been surprised how little leg room there is in some makes. The latest Fiat Doblo is particularly bad, not that I want a new vehicle but I was passing the dealers. The best so far I've found is the Seat Altea.

'Ordinary' cars vary enormously. The Skoda Octavia is very roomy and I have it on the list. Its main fault is that when the seat is pushed fully rearwards the seat back is in line with the pillar so you have to climb around that to get out. Okay for a youngster, perhaps.

I'll let you know when I finally decide.

Best, Dumbo