Honda Jazz 1.4 ES I-Shift (automatic) - Driving smoothly - Talking Hoarse

Just test driven this (new) car. Liked the size, shape, format etc. And the car, albeit brand new and pre pdi drove nicely, felt good, fairly agile etc. However, although I have driven many dozens of different automatic cars in the past, I was unable to get this Jazz to drive /accelerate /progress etc smoothly - it was ponderous when deciding to change (whether auto or using paddles) and lurched even when unprovoked. When I pressed the accelerator I was left quite unsure when the car would accelerate etc.

The salesman told me that if I took my foot off the accelerator it would go faster (?), and that it was built for economy.

Has anyone else experienced this or do I need to go back to school?

Honda Jazz 1.4 ES I-Shift (automatic) - Driving smoothly - retgwte

go buy a suzuki swift automatic instead

its that simple

Honda Jazz 1.4 ES I-Shift (automatic) - Driving smoothly - Berisford

See here;

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=65642

Honda Jazz 1.4 ES I-Shift (automatic) - Driving smoothly - Carol63

In 2008 I bought a fully automatic 1-4 Jazz. Later in 2008 my husband bought an iShift Civic as they were no longer making the fully automatic version.

We are long term users of Honda but the iShift gearbox was awful. When it was changing gear - it was jerky and you lurched forward as you would in a manual car if you were too long in a lower gear before changing up.

You had to treat it as you would a manual car and take your foot off the accelerator to allow it to change gear - they called it "feathering". Neither of us could see the point of having an automatic car that you drove almost like a manual one. It was particularly scary when reversing as it would suddenly jerk

The dealership put in a new module but agreed that they had received a lot of complaints. One of the salesmen even admitted that he hated reversing them for the same reason as us.

After 8months we paid another £3,000 and changed it for a fully automatic version which is great.

I have just been to my local dealer and heard the bad news that since the introduction of the 59 reg - all Jazz cars are now iShift so I will NOT be buying Honda again until they come to their senses and re-introduce the full auto version

Honda Jazz 1.4 ES I-Shift (automatic) - Driving smoothly - Berisford

The i-shift Jazz is a big mistake. Just because other manufacturers make c*** auto boxes doesn't make it right.

Honda should be ashamed of themselves allowing this poor excuse for an automatic into the showrooms.

On the upside, anyone with a late registered CVT Jazz is onto a good thing, they fetch big money.

My dealer called me last weekend, he'd got a 3 year old, 07 reg, 27,000mile, base colour, no toys, basic CVT Jazz. I admit it was in good order but at £9000 it was too much but someone has paid up and bought it!

Honda Jazz 1.4 ES I-Shift (automatic) - Driving smoothly - pyruse

It's especially galling because the CVT box in the Jazz up to 2007 is a thing of joy; wonderfully smooth and responsive, and you can override it and change gear manually with the paddles if you want to feel like a rally driver.

Honda Jazz 1.4 ES I-Shift (automatic) - Driving smoothly - Talking Hoarse

I started this thread - thanks for the messages indeed as I had initially wondered if it was me rather than the car!

Just ordered a Hyundai i30 CRDi (ie diesel) automatic - drives very nicely - seems quite spritely - reasonably agile (but no Focus) - not as good accomodation as a Jazz (in my opinion - I like estate style cars). Honda's loss ehh?

Honda Jazz 1.4 ES I-Shift (automatic) - Driving smoothly - Falkirk Bairn

The ironic part is Honda @ Swindon makes a "proper auto" Jazz and exports them to places such as South Africa

Honda Jazz 1.4 ES I-Shift (automatic) - Driving smoothly - Mebo

I am on my 2nd ishift Jazz. I do 18,000 miles a year and it took me less than 2 months to adapt my driving style. Someone said that it "learns" your driving style - not so. You have to learn to drive again. I have never had problems reversing. The ride is better than the CVT Jazz but the CVT auto was very easy. I got an excellent trade-in price and I think that the garage had a buyer lined up.

However I do believe that Honda made a mistake in not using a proper autobox. Probably to do with "green" issues. Having said that, apparantly automated manual boxes are cheaper to make, therefore they will probably be the benchmark for super mini's.

I see that the new Polo 1.2 turbo has a automated manual box albeit a DSG type.I wonder if that's as "jerky". When I was looking around the 1.2 turbo was not for sale in the UK.

On balance I am pleased with the ishift.

Mebo

Honda Jazz 1.4 ES I-Shift (automatic) - Driving smoothly - Avant

The DSG has the advantage of a double-clutch mechanism that ensures smooth gearchanges: almost as smooth as a torque-converter automatic but without the penalties in performance end economy.

Another one to avoid is the so-called Easytronic box on the Vauxhall Corsa. I had one as a courtesy car and no matter how you try to adapt your driving style, there is still a stomach-churning lurch every time it changes gear. I cannot imagine how Vauxhall / Opel ever let this out on sale without properly developing it.

Honda Jazz 1.4 ES I-Shift (automatic) - Driving smoothly - Nellzhonda

Nevermind. The All New Jazz CVT will be here December !

Honda Jazz 1.4 ES I-Shift (automatic) - Driving smoothly - Lygonos

Honda were sure the i-SHIFT Jazz would hit 120g/km CO2 before launch, hence the decision to use the lamentable automated manual.

When it only managed 124g/km, even the dealers knew they had a lemon on their hands.

They should have used a slushbox like that in the petrol FRV - with a huuuuge 5th gear (30mph/1000rpm) to beat the emissions test and maintain smooth progress. Or maybe kept/updated the generally well-regarded CVT...

Deja vu.

Honda Jazz 1.4 ES I-Shift (automatic) - Driving smoothly - Nellzhonda

You are spot on there.

As a dealer we are extremely dissapointed that the I-Shift was introduced ! A CVT and I-Shift together would have been more realistic.

Having said that there are thousands of satisfied I-Shift customers out there ! Mostly people who have moved to Honda from Toyota , Citroen etc

Honda Jazz 1.4 ES I-Shift (automatic) - Driving smoothly - sussex

To the knowlegeble dealer, I bought a new1.4es i-shift in March.

Lovely car , I got the automatic because my left leg is a problem, but on automatic it is terrible, very worrying at times, changes when it wants to and often gives you no power. Perhaps if the car was not so quiet you could anticipate gear changes by engine noise and get the throttle settings right.

However, the manual setting is fine and the paddles are great, and I will keep the car for a long time ( can't afford to change)

My concern now is in the small print, Honda advise that you do not hold the car on a hill for long using the clutch or it will cause damage. Very nice, but I put my car in the garage, and I reverse out and stop up a 7 in 1 incline, close the garge door then reverse again onto the road. The motion is jerky and worrying, I spoke to Honda Bexhill and they said it would be ok, should I believe them?

I am saving up £180 for the spacesaver wheel, I am unhappy with the sales girls quote -- I woudn't bother with the repair kit just call the AA - - I can see it now -busy time, 2hr wait to learn trye is shredded ??

But it's still a great car.

Honda Jazz 1.4 ES I-Shift (automatic) - Driving smoothly - mike hannon

> I put my car in the garage, and I reverse out and stop up a 7 in 1 incline, close the garge door then reverse again onto the road. The motion is jerky and worrying, I spoke to Honda Bexhill and they said it would be ok, should I believe them? <

Just so I'm clear on this...

Are you saying you reverse out of the garage, then leave the car unattended on a 1 in 7 slope while in 'drive' with the engine running while you shut the garage door?

Maybe - although I've had (mostly Honda) automatics for more than 25 years - I don't understand how i-drive works?

Or maybe this is a wind-up?

Honda Jazz 1.4 ES I-Shift (automatic) - Driving smoothly - sussex

No, I turn the engine off, get out, close the garage door, then restart. I would welcome some sensible advice.

Honda Jazz 1.4 ES I-Shift (automatic) - Driving smoothly - Dutchie

The honda jazz is a nice car we had the fully auto cvt,why they changed the system i dont understand must have been cost.And charging £180 pounds for a space saver what should have been free with the car they must think most people are made of money.I was talking to a mechanic at honda and he struggled to drive the car with this es shift system.I have a full spare in the ford we drive now its always sods law if you dont have it it happens.:)

Honda Jazz 1.4 ES I-Shift (automatic) - Driving smoothly - SteveLee
While we regard plant food emissions as pollution, mechanically more efficient but jerky robotised manuals will continue to be popular to give cars showroom appeal in terms of grams of plant food per 100kms.
Honda Jazz 1.4 ES I-Shift (automatic) - Driving smoothly - madf

Sussex

Surely you should reverse into your garage.?

As for complaints about Ishift, anyone who buys a new car without test driving it in comparable conditions to its future use deserves what they get - I am afraid.

Or maybe "caveat emptor" is unknown?

Edited by madf on 19/08/2010 at 10:24

Honda Jazz 1.4 ES I-Shift (automatic) - Driving smoothly - KB.

"I would welcome some sensible advice.".....Sensible advice :- Test drive a brand new car before you buy it. It doesn't take long, when driving an i-shift Jazz, to ascertain whether you like the gearbox or not. You must have driven it before purchase and seen that it was jerky.

"I am saving up £180 for the spacesaver wheel"...... Are you seriously saying you bought a new car for, what must have been, about £15,000 but have to 'save up' £180 for the spare wheel?

Edited by KB. on 19/08/2010 at 14:58