Poor Excuse for an Automatic - Berisford
So the new Jazz in the UK is to lose its CVT box and have an electric clutch manual instead.

Well done you fools at Honda*, the old jazz sold in its thousands with the CVT 'cause it was smooth and efficient.

I can't comment on the efficiency of the new model but I'll bet my last tank of juice that it won't be smooth, especially from 1st to 2nd!

* A bunch of kids no doubt without any respect for the driver who wants/needs an automatic.

Poor Excuse for an Automatic - Optimist
It win't be smooth, no, but emissions will be reduced.

What's the matter with you, Berisford? Where on earth did you get the idea that driving was meant to be enjoyable?

The fine people at Honda are just getting on with the job.

Poor Excuse for an Automatic - doctorchris
How will emissions be reduced? I thought that CVTs were very economical and efficient as the engine always runs at just about the same number of revs.
Poor Excuse for an Automatic - NowWheels
I quite agree, Berisford. A few years ago we had a choice of two good CVT superminis (Micra and Jazz), but now there are none. OK, the Jazz was a much much better car than the old Micra, but neither CVT seemed to be plagued by reliability problems, and both were popular.

The Micra's replacement had a conventional slushbox, which is about the least fuel-efficient option going, but nicer to drive (by all accounts) than most of these jerky automated manuals.

The story that Honda's abandonment of the CVT is for fuel efficiency reasons doesn't seem very persuasive. According to HJ's roadtest of the original Jazz the CVT only added 3g/km to the emissions of the old Jazz (see www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=60&se...e ) ... and according to the roadtest of the new one the automated manual shaves 4g/km off the CO2 output of the new one. I make that a net gain of only 7g/km, which isn't huge. Maybe they were really chasing the magic 120g/km figure, but there's something fishy about the figures. The data which accompanies the roadtest (and I presume was supplied to HJ by Honda) show that the i-SHIFT is 1mpg thirstier. With the same engine, getting more fuel but lower CO2 emissions sounds wrong to me.
Poor Excuse for an Automatic - stunorthants26
Whats funny is that the Mitsu i has a conventional autobox but still has less than 120 CO2, so it would suggest that Honda are just being lazy, taking the short cut and leaving the customer with an inferior product. Doh.
Poor Excuse for an Automatic - nortones2
Has anyone driven the new Jazz? I think not. According to the blurb, its a 6 speed transmission, and a development of the auto clutch gearbox to the Civic, claimed to make shift improvements. VW seem to manage quite well with two automated clutches, and although its not a DSG, SFAIK, I can't see any reason in principle why it shouldn't work satisfactorily. Time will tell if its clunky.
Poor Excuse for an Automatic - Bill Payer
Whats funny is that the Mitsu i has a conventional autobox

...i Car has a very different engine though (600cc turbo).
Poor Excuse for an Automatic - mike hannon
It all seems very odd to me - every time I think about buying a new Honda - on dealer advice I've waited for the new Civic, waited for the new Jazz - they have 'new, better' stying or features that manage to put me right off. I guess I'll go on being planet-friendly by driving motors whose carbon footprints faded years ago.
Poor Excuse for an Automatic - Altea Ego
why do people wax lyrical about CVT boxes? They are AWFUL with a capital AY. Nasty whiny things that drone at the same tone all day long. At least the wife droning in my ear changes pitch.
Poor Excuse for an Automatic - mike hannon
Great to see you back on form, AE. Hope you have a nice holiday...:-)
Poor Excuse for an Automatic - boxsterboy
I agree with AE. CVTs are dreadful. Give me a nice automated manual any day of the week. The lower consumption, emissions and RFL are just a bonus.
I took the lower emissions comment from HJ's review. I don't pretend to follow the technicalities of it.

Nor do I understand the CVT-ism some BR's display. They may be a bit different but I think the Jazz CVT drove well with the difference from a standard autobox noticeable only on moving off, and then not very much. I've also driven a Renault Modus with an automated clutch automatic and it was no fun at all.

There is also the serious issue (for me at least) about the trade-off between economy and enjoyment. We could all drive milk floats, after all.

But given the cost of driving, the prevalence of "safety" cameras and the everyday risk of driving in a country where many people are cheerfully untaxed and uninsured, if you take away any remaining bit of enjoyment you might as well not bother!
Poor Excuse for an Automatic - ifithelps
>>... from HJ's review...>>

A review headlined: Honda New Jazz First Drive.

Unfortunate when we then read driving impressions are embargoed until August 25.

The article shouuld have been headlined: Honda New Jazz (everything except a) First Drive.
Poor Excuse for an Automatic - drbe
At least the wife droning in my ear changes pitch.>>

>>

Lucky you. That's more than mine does.

Any chance we could swap?
Poor Excuse for an Automatic - JH
I'm disappointed it doesn't have a bit more oomph. 100bhp and it takes 13+ seconds to hit 60. What does it weigh? My XR3i only had 105bhp and it beat 10seconds to 60.
JH
Poor Excuse for an Automatic - Avant
In terms of noise, CVT boxes are OK with a six-cylinder engine, as I had in my very quiet A4 2,5 TDI; but with a four-cylinder diesel, as in the Mercedes B200 CDI that followed the Audi - well, Altea Ego's description is a huge understatement.
Poor Excuse for an Automatic - pyruse
I've always found the Honda CVT perfectly OK to drive - something that can't be said of all CVT boxes.
I have sufficient faith in Honda's engineers to think they may have made a gearbox which is nice to drive in the new Jazz. We'll find out soon enough.
Our Jazz is a manual but I have had a CVT as a courtesy car and thought it was fine, and I normally drive a 5cyl Merc diesel auto (which is also fine).

We'd have gone for the CVT Jazz when we bought ours except that the kids were just starting to drive so thought it best for them to stick with manual.

Edited by Bill Payer on 30/07/2008 at 11:30

Poor Excuse for an Automatic - steve
where is the new jazz going to be made? Is it a UK (Swindon) or somewhere else?
China, I think.

...and that definitely puts me off.

We can't avoid it on many things, but all things being equal, I'd rather not buy a car made in China. It's even more galling when Honda still charge the "made in Japan" price for it.
I don't think the new one is from China, however the existing one is and I too think it's very cheeky of Honda to charge such a high price for it.

Poor Excuse for an Automatic - pyruse
Surely it's only cheeky if it's badly made?
If the car is well designed and made, why does it matter where it is made?
Poor Excuse for an Automatic - Dog
At least the wife droning in my ear changes pitch.>>

>>

Lucky you. That's more than mine does.

Any chance we could swap?

Ere!!! we'll have none of that marlarkey on this forum
may I be so bold as to suggest ~ (www.*************)
Poor Excuse for an Automatic - Pendlebury
I agree pyruse - the factory in China did have some publicised quality issues early on but nothing more than any other new factory would have experienced - even uk factories. They are all fixed now. I have said before that anyone who thinks everything that comes out of China is sub standard is lacking in any knowledge of how they as a country have developed. It's like saying they will never buy a Honda or Toyota made in the uk because they remember the quality of cars made by Rover and BL. China is gearing itself up to dominate the world in terms of it's engineering capability. Both the President and PM of China have engineering degrees. They produce more engineering graduates every year than we have people in the uk. The US is becoming very concerned about the growing technological capacity of both India and China. Unfortunately for us there is an arrogance on how we view China and it's capability and my guess is we will pay heavily for that.
I would certainly buy a Honda made in a Chinese factory and would suggest that if you drove a Jazz made in Japan and a Jazz made in China for 5-10 years then you would never notice the difference. It is amazing that nobody ever seems to get concerned about BMW 3 series, VW Golfs and MB C classes made in South Africa, with an education system years behind China but get all judgemental about a Jazz made in a country with an education system that is becoming one of the best in the world. What I guess will follow now is a whole bunch of political reasons not to buy from China.

PS - for those lacking in any understanding of China's engineering capability the Jazz will be made in Swindon from Oct 2009. Or that was the plan until our banking system screwed us up. Hopefully China will continue to fund our debt and get us out of this hole so we can buy UK made Jazzes.

Edited by Pendlebury on 09/02/2009 at 12:42

Poor Excuse for an Automatic - William Stevenson
I have bee pro-Honda since my first bike in 81. I recently bought my first Honda car- a 1.2 Jazz made in China early 08. An excellent car so far (7000), but there were a number of problems with trim not fitted properly. I had to tighten all 8 screws holding the grab handles. Mechanically everything seems good. I hope Swindon does rather better on these minor features.
PS - for those lacking in any understanding of China's engineering capability the Jazz will
be made in Swindon from Oct 2009.

Last bit is correct, but the new model Jazz is currently built in Japan for the UK market, not China.
Poor Excuse for an Automatic - elderly gent
Great stuff, but have any of you driven a car with a I-shift/dual clutch transmission?

Are any of them any good? The only one I have driven was a Mitsubishi Colt and that was awful. Try easing off the the throttle when the gear change takes place, I was told when I complained. Forget it I told him, not for me.

In New Zealand and Australia the New Mazda 2 has a very nice auto, mated to a 1500cc petrol engine. No auto planned for the UK, typical!!!!!
Poor Excuse for an Automatic - menu du jour
I have driven the Honda Civic with the i-shift and did not find it that good. Lifting off the throttle when changing up smoothed the shift somewhat but not a pleasure to use.
When changing down it was either reluctant or would suddenly drop two gears and you would find yourself redlining in second. Engine was nice though - 140 bhp IIRC. Disappointed also that new Jazz engine is only 100 bhp - 110 - 120 would have been good.
I was considering the new one but now I don't think so.
screwtape
I was considering the new one but now I don't think so.

Did anyone establish yet where it will be made - my understanding is that it will be made (for the UK) in China?

Edited by Bill Payer on 08/08/2008 at 13:48

In HJ's write-up on the current Jazz, almost all output for the UK is from China.
I would think the new one will be made there, I mean, nearly everything else is.
Another reason why I will not buy one. Not about the quality, more philosophical, really.
If that makes sense.
screwtape
Not about the quality more philosophical really.
If that makes sense.

I would never say never - think our (Mrs BP's really) current Japanese Jazz is wonderful, but I'd rather its replacement wasn't from China.

I'd be reasonably happy with another Colt - our youngest daughter has one, and it would do the job at way lower cost than Jazz, but the dealers and Mitsubishi UK are just awful. Noticed Mitsubishi UK sales were down a huge chunk last month, yet Colt looks such good value they should be everywhere.
Poor Excuse for an Automatic - retgwte
Exhaust emissions are only a small part of the environmental impact of a car

For instance a more unreliable transmission which leads to expensive breakdowns, towing, long spells in workshops, replacement with new parts which have been produced and transported at environmental cost, etc, is not good for the environment - sadly nothing like this is measured

As is forcing drivers with knee problems to drive manuals by taxation measures, this will only end up with them needing surgery sooner, and the environmental impact of this isn't good

So all in all the simplistic drive to cut down on exhaust emissions isn't necessarily good for us or the environment

Like all bad managers the government worries about what it can measure, which is why the NHS is such a national disgrace, and why we are ending up driving more complex unreliable automatics

Poor Excuse for an Automatic - Statistical outlier
Great stuff but have any of you driven a car with a I-shift/dual clutch transmission?

I drove my parents new (to them, it's a year old with 10k miles) Octavia estate with the 2 ltr diesel and DSG at the weekend. I was relieved to find it very good indeed, given I'd told them to buy it! Very smooth and fast gear changes, seemed impossible to wrong-foot when using the manual sequential shift, very smooth take-up from idle whether aggressive or very gentle, and not at all snatchy when manoeuvring.

I was most impressed. Only downside is that they are currently only getting about 46 mpg, when their previous Octavia hatch manual, with the same engine, got 55+ at all times - I'm not sure why, as I thought no mpg penalty was a major advantage of this box?

Overall they are happy as Larry though, so all's good.
Well, I finally got a test drive yesterday in the new Jazz auto and as expected I was right.

After just half a mile of pitching too and fro the sales guy sensed I was none too impressed so I was treated to a lesson in how to make the gearchanges less noticeable.

I don't know if it's official Honda policy/patter or if my sales guy was flying solo but it seems the only way to improve the ride is to abandon the 'auto' mode and use the manual paddle switches instead*. Of course you need to ease off the power just before you change also!

An extra grand on the £12000 motor and you're expected to bark yourself! You have to laugh don't you?

Well done Honda, you fools.

*I also found the space for my fingers between to paddles and the stalks too limited/tight.

Poor Excuse for an Automatic - captain chaos
IIRC the first car with CVT was a Daf Variomatic. It was wrong then and it's wrong now. Anything with a GM TurboHydramatic will do for me. Proper autobox. Good enough for Rolls Royce when only the best will do
Poor Excuse for an Automatic - isisalar
'Well done Honda you fools'
They're laying off the workforce for 4 months.
Doesn't seem like they're making cars that people want to buy.
Poor Excuse for an Automatic - oilrag
Needing to square the hypotenuse with your spanners to get at the eight spark plugs and shimmed tappets may perhaps have put a few off.
I mean - what`s the point of going over it with a tickle stick trying to get emissions under 120 - when seemingly arcane Japanese `Shaken` (Low mileage - short ownership) regulations have spawned engines that seem to need an extra £80 at services.

ah... got it - the emission figure would be on the windscreen in showrooms perhaps
;-)
Needing to square the hypotenuse with your spanners to get at the eight spark plugs
and shimmed tappets may perhaps have put a few off.

New model has different engine - VVT now, although I think the old one is prefectly adequate, and feels fairly "torquey". Many Jazz owners are never going to give the car the beans that VVT needs.

Don't know if the new one has the same servicing requirments, but Honda are doing a cheap servicing package with the car. On the old one, they changed the valve checking schedule to 62,500 miles and most owners from new probabaly wouldn't hit that.
Poor Excuse for an Automatic - daveyjp
"I don't know if it's official Honda policy/patter or if my sales guy was flying solo but it seems the only way to improve the ride is to abandon the 'auto' mode and use the manual paddle switches instead"

Exactly the same on our second smart - auto was for heavy urban traffic only, in normal driving it had to be left in manual - downchanges were so slow approaching roundabouts could be an 'interesting' experience while the car decided which gear to use.
Poor Excuse for an Automatic - ifithelps
The auto box in my brother's Honda Civic works well enough when left to its own devices.

Not the smoothest of changes, but more than acceptable in my view.

Edited by ifithelps on 09/02/2009 at 09:22

Poor Excuse for an Automatic - Lud
Was given a lift in a Jazz auto a few weeks ago when left standing by the bus. It seemed to chunter along quietly and efficiently enough, and wasn't jerky in the hands of its elderly Scottish-Kiwi driver. Seemed a nice little car to me.
"Was given a lift in a Jazz auto a few weeks ago when left standing by the bus. It seemed to chunter along quietly and efficiently enough, and wasn't jerky in the hands of its elderly Scottish-Kiwi driver. Seemed a nice little car to me. "

Couldn't have been the new one, it's only just hit the showrooms this week. It'll have been the old one and that is smooth no matter how you drive it!
Couldn't have been the new one it's only just hit the showrooms this week.

And the previous model autos are not *that* slow either - I've had a couple as courtesy cars and found them perfectly adequate.
Poor Excuse for an Automatic - dunkv
I have had two CVT Jazz cars from new and have had 1.2 and 1.4 iDSi manual cars as courtesy cars. I have also driven the iShift Civic.

Combined I have driven over 150K miles with the CVT Jazz and have enjoyed them a great deal. I am 39 and not the atypical Jazz driver but no youth either. I think the CVT Jazz matches me very well. I don't tend to accelerate hard, or do anything remotely sporty. In fact the car does what it was designed to do and I have a feeling I match exactly the profile of driver they had in mind.

I do think it is often forgotten that cars are designed with a market segment in mind and that gear ratios, acceleration profiles, tyre types, wheel sizes and so forth are all carefully tailored to sell the car off the forecourt to exactly the correct person. I think this tends to get a little muddled when the second and third owners get the car 3 and 8 years later, respectively, particularly as taste and trends continue but the car cannot evolve along side this.

What I am getting at is if you drive the CVT in Jazz like a manual Jazz you will get the worst drive of your life. It will be so truely awful that you we wonder why someone could have engineered such a thing. However learn to drive a CVT, like the CVT in the Jazz, and you will actually get a very different result. Very quiet cruising for instance. The trade off is that you cannot drive it sportily - it just won't do it. All that seven speed malarky is 90% marketing although it can be handy during heavy traffic.

Therefore if you need a very sporty car don't drive a iDSi Jazz of any transmission type at all! If you want a practical car - magic seats, roomy, efficient, etc - and that is also a familiar thing to drive and gives that manual gear approach to driving then get a 1.2 or 1.4 iDSi 5-speed manual, or the new iVtec new Jazz.

Want a quiet town and country crusier that your passengers will all fall asleep while you drive mile after mile then the CVT in the old Jazz platform is ideal. However make your decisions about overtaking as if you're driving a 1.0l car otherwise you'll wake them all up as the engine has to rev up to the manual car levels to do the overtaking maneouver before dropping nicely down to be all quiet again.

Also one tip. If you have a CVT Jazz - you'll know exactly what I'm talking about when it comes to quieter than the manual Jazz cruising thing - then get rid of those noisy stock tyres that the 185r15 wheels are shod with. I recommend you get the Yokohama C-Drive tyres. You'll love the reduction in road roar and then appreciate fully quiet cruising engine noise!

If you need a CVT in the new Jazz range the you'll have to wait until the Jazz Hybrid. I haven't tried the six-speed new iShift in the Jazz so I can't comment.

Happy motoring!
Poor Excuse for an Automatic - edisdead {P}
I think HJ is right, the 1.5 i-VTEC with conventional torque converter auto, in the Jazz body would sell well in UK... but we're not allowed.
Ed.
Poor Excuse for an Automatic - dunkv
If any one is interested, after saying that I would not go for one I have decided to go the i-SHIFT route for now at least until the hybrid comes out and has been widely reviewed. I thought I'd blog my findings. Come and visit if you'd like... dunkvshondaishift.blogspot.com

Bye for now!

Dunkv
Well dunkey very interesting, but bottom line is as I always said, "Poor Excuse for an Automatic"!
Poor Excuse for an Automatic - Paphian
As someone who has recently replaced the old Jazz CVT with the new iShift 1.4 version, I can comment from an owner's perspective. The old CVT box was excellent to drive, once you got your head around the impression that the engine was connected to the wheels via a rubber band. The ride however was poor and the seating uncomfortable on a longish journey, but its carrying capacity was remarkable and the cinema seats in the rear brilliant.

The new car has better seating, is quieter and has a much better ride. The boot is a tad narrower, but holds more and gone is that dreadful retractable luggage space cover, to be replaced with a hard hinged cover.

The dealer, who I have known for some years, was a great fan of the CVT box and was concerned that I would not like the iShift box, which made me concerned that I might not like it, so a road test was mandatory.

There is no doubt that it is quite a different driving experience from the CVT box. I could best describe it as driving a manual car with the passenger operating the clutch and making the changes. Although I have not driven the iShift Civic, the Jazz has updated software to make for smoother changes, and the dealer conceded that my car (the first to be delivered to the agency) was nicer to drive than the Civic iShift.

The change up from first to second is certainly noticeable - particularly when the engine is cold, but it is no less smooth than a manual change between these gears. It's no more than you would expect when the clutch is activated whilst accelerating in a low gear, but you can anticipate the change and ease off the throttle for a smoother transition. The remaining changes up the box are barely perceptible and with just a driver and front seat passenger on board the car quickly changes up to sixth gear if you are light on the throttle.

Downward changes usually go unnoticed. Only the difference in engine speed marks the change.

Unlike the older car, if you want to grab a lower gear to overtake and are not confident in the speed of the car's kickdown, flicking the down paddle on the steering wheel switches instantly to manual mode and the next lower gear than the automatic had selected. In practice you tend to just press on the gas and let the box change down itself.

Frankly you quickly adapt to the manner of the gear changes but it would be easy to see why after only a brief road test, owners of the older car may find it disconcerting, but there is no need to lose any sleep over whether to choose an iShift equipped Jazz over a manual one. Try it for yourself before dismissing it.

Edited by Paphian on 18/02/2009 at 16:04

Poor Excuse for an Automatic - KB.
Thanks for taking the trouble to post that. You're one of the few who have first hand experience and it's useful for prospective buyers. Did you buy it knowing what tax band it would be in or was you not too bothered either way?
Thanks from me too.

One thing I wondered: What's it like for close quarters low speed manoeuvring?
I've "heard" that cars with automated manual boxes can be all but impossible to reverse park up a slope, for example.
I too had heard about the alleged difficulties of low speed manouvering - especially in reverse, and this was one of the things I paid particular attention to when testing the car before purchase. It is no more difficult to manouvre than any manual gearbox equipped car. You control the speed with the brake and throttle and the car will attend to the clutch control.
I was not interested in the tax band. I don't live in the UK (though the car is UK spec) and the tax bands here are different from those in Britain.
No disrespect intended here Paphian but I'm always suspicious of persons posting glowing comments about something most others find questionable especially when they've only joined the forum the same day.

However, even if you are a working for Honda, I see you concede the 1st to 2nd change is bad and the others are OK if on 'light throttle'.

I feel that if you are paying an extra £1000 for an automatic then you shouldn't have to 'adapt' to its shortcomings.

Anticipating the change from 1st to 2nd by easing off the power is not really an option on busy roundabouts and if you feel the lurch experienced is no different to that of a manual vehicle then may I suggest that your clutch/accelerator technique could be refined.

As for the question posed about low speed manoeuvring, I found the one I drove very jerky. I don't think it'll be used by any driving schools. The box might well be better suited to the Jazz (the Civic must be really bad) but, in my opinion, it's still poor.
I don't work for Honda, nor am I involved in the motor trade in any way. I posted for two reasons - 1 most posters were replying on the basis of hearsay and mainly negatively and 2, I actually own the car, whereas most if not all other correspondents appear not to.

Whether or not you will like driving the iShift is a matter for the individual. I have no axe to grind and my ego will not be bruised if you come to a different conclusion.

It is more like driving a manual car than an automatic, but with someone else making (often better) decisions about when to change gear, and with better clutch control than most drivers I have ridden with.

Yes you will notice the changes, particularly between the lower gears. Just as you will notice when you press the clutch to change manually. There is the same slight interruption to progress while the clutch disconnects engine and gearbox. The only difference is that the car operates the clutch and changes the gear. For the first few miles, this can prove somewhat disconcerting, but like any other type of gear change you quickly get used to it.

When I first drove the CVT equipped Jazz I was equally disconcerted by the fact that it was like driving a car with clutch slip, in that the speed and engine revs had no direct correlation. After driving it for a few miles, I loved it. I am not sure I will love the iShift quite as much, but it is every bit as easy to drive - and the car has the advantage of being more comfortable, quieter than the old model and has a better ride.
Poor Excuse for an Automatic - Geomac
Your description Paphian (18 Feb 09) of the i-shift gearbox is spot on namely: "There is no doubt that it is quite a different driving experience from the CVT box. I could best describe it as driving a manual car with the passenger operating the clutch and making the changes."
The car has a mind of its own and changes gear randomly - sometimes it changes into 4th gear at 30 mph and sometimes it changes to 5th gear at that speed - similarly for other gears. This makes gear changes difficult to predict and hence to lessen the stutter.
Give me a CVT any day - I believe that this is a big mistake by Honda.
Gearbox Problems - Sunshine
Gearbox problems ? 2009 Honda Jazz

I drove the car 35 miles on Saturday and parked. On my return the dashboard showed EPS (Electric Power Steering) and VSA (Vehicle Stability Assist) warning lights. The engine was dead, ie would not turn at all. Called the nice people at the AA who responded promptly. After 10 minutes of investigation the engineer said that he had no idea what was causing the fault but it was obviously a serious problem and would transport the car to the dealer. However, being a professional and I guess not wanting to be beat, he further rocked / pushed the car, rattled gear selector and depressed the break pedal for a further 15 minutes. Lo and behold the light went out and the car started. ?Wow, I'm impressed? I said, ? Don't be? he replied, ?I haven't a clue how I've done it?. He recorded the fault and got me on my way.
The car got me home with only one further incident ? whilst moving forward (using only the lightest touch on the accelerator) after stopping at a roundabout, the car went from first to fourth for no apparent reason.
This morning decided to take the car to the dealers.
Hit another problem ? selected reverse, pressed accelerator, revs climbed but car did not move. Put the car back into neutral and tried a further four times to no avail. On the fifth attempt, the gearbox engaged quite violently giving rise to loud exclamation from my lips.
At the Honda dealership: Well, if you are familiar with comedian Peter Kaye and his sketch, ?Garlic?, ?Garlic Bread?, then simply substitute his words, for, ?Jazz?, ?Jazz Gearbox problems?. The service guy was having none of it, and after patiently listening to him explain to me, that the probable cause was my driving style!, I suggested that perhaps he would like to look at the car. Although ?not convinced? that anything could be wrong with a Jazz, he humoured me by taking the keys; whilst making great play of shaking his head and blowing through his nose as he walked away.
On his return he mentioned that the AA had recorded a fault? but ?there's nothing wrong with the car, because there's no fault recorded on the chip??, followed by another lesson on my presumed driving style. I did manage to obtain clarification from him on the technology of the chip, which I'll share with you all ? just in case you are not mechanically minded.
?The chip knows everything. All the inputs and all the outputs; it records everything? ?If you have a fault, the chip tells the computer; if you don't have a fault, there's nothing on the chip?.
I bet y'all didn't know that! Amazing huh.
So...there's nowt on the chip, therefore I have not had a problem; the only logical explanation being, I don't know how to drive a Honda Jazz?
Make up your own mind but I'll post any further developments as and when they happen.
Poor Excuse for an Automatic - Technopen
I've had four Honda automatics, three Civics and a Jazz and all were excellent. I could not believe that the new Jazz could be such a disappointment with its clunking i-shift. It reminded me of once being a passenger with a learner who always managed to hit the brake pedal in the middle of each gearchange.
How could they let it out the factory door with such a system? I was hoping to order a new Jazz for the 09 plate, but there is no way I would buy anything so unsatisfactory.
Unless the Jazz hybrid has a decent CVT or similar, it will be Hyundai i-20 for me next time.
Poor Excuse for an Automatic - backache47
I have had a jazz auto for 4 years and really like the smoothness of the auto box.
I was looking to change to the the new jazz with the e shift.
However, on testing the e shift auto I was far from being impressed!
When changing gear it was if someone was applying the brakes in the middle of the change.
Honda need to improve the system before I would buy.
I had the option of new or old Jazz for my next car. I am so glad I went for the "old" model.
If it were possible the CVT box seems even better. I know an improved fluid is available and I presume this is why it feels better. Even the fuel consumption is improved - I have covered 230 miles on a half tank.
screwtape
Poor Excuse for an Automatic - autoperson
I have test driven the new Jazz iShift and did not buy the car (to replace my marvellous Jazz CVT ) because the system was a joke as a replacement for an automatic, the essence of which is smoothness and simplicity. Otherwise loved the car; still too pricey though. Looks like it will be a Hyundai i20 for me, this time round.
Poor Excuse for an Automatic - racso
As a matter of interest I have now done 1200+miles in my Ishift Jazz and have got used to the gearbox which you must remeber is an automated manual and drives as such.The converter type of g/box was nicer but knocked the mpg down quite a lump where as the ishift doesn't. Cant have it always I guess. I understand from the fitter that worked on my previous car that the DSG boxes are horrendously expensive to repair as they are like have twin ishifts working in tandem.The Ford Fiesta auto has two small motors that a Ford fitter told me were'nt very strong, helping it smooth out. My previous car was a 2 ltr wheel spinning auto which avg less than 30 mpg, the Jazz ave is in excess of 50 mpg, so I have halved my fuel consumption. Yippee!!,( I live out of town). If you want 0-60 mph in 6 sec's look elsewhere but if you want a quiet comfortable economical car this is it.
My wife and I find 1st -2nd is not too smooth with a cold engine but once warm smooths out, otherwise everything is fine. I think the manual is a tad quicker out of the blocks but my wife is an auto fan.
Test one for a few hours if you can as it takes a while to get used to the ishift, plus it is intelligent,(i shift) in as much as it reads how you drive and adapts its shifting to match.
If you fancy trying a really bad auto try the Toyota Auris MMT, after that anything will feel good.
Poor Excuse for an Automatic - perro
Hello there racso ... can you answer me one thing please - does the iShift hold on hills like a "normal" autobox? or does it roll back like the C3 I roadtested some years back whilst the balance of my mind was disturbed.
Hello there racso ... can you answer me one thing please

What happens is this. You have come to a stop on a hill with your footbrake, it then has a brake hold system which holds for a very short time, 1 second, for you to get over to the accelerator pedal. It works but I'm a bit of a belt and braces person so if it's a steep slope I hold the handbrake just like a manual. The drivers manual tells you that in certain circumstances the "hill hold" may not be sufficient due to a heavy load. I haven't had any problems so far. I dont think the "hill hold" works in reverse gear , at least I dont trust it to.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/05/2009 at 20:03

I have thought of a couple more things,The handbook tells you not to hold on hills with light acceleration as it will cause excessive clutch wear.
Also one thing that some of the reviews dont mention is about the ride, low profile tyres versus normal tyres. Usually when you go for a test drive they give you a top of the range model. This nearly put my wife and myself off the car, because the ride was too hard. However one test drive we did was with the ES model that has normal tyres not the low profile ones that the top model has. The difference was enough to make us decide to get one. The L/P tyres definately make for a hard ride. Also they put up fuel consumption by a miniscule amount and are more expensive to buy.
We find our ES to be quite a smooth ride compared to out old saloon which had low profile tyres as it was a sports saloon.

Edited by racso on 12/05/2009 at 17:51

Cheer's racso - When I tried the Citroen C3 with the automated manual box, I quite liked it actually, I had the critter for a few hours and so put it through its paces!
I found ya could 'fool' the box by accelerating/breaking, then accelerating again which is a tad unfair I suppose.
My wife, who is a right brainer (L/H) didn't feel confident driving it though, especially with all the hills around here (Cornwall)
I've read and heard many reports of said gearbox and although I prefer the operation of a torque converter, I like the idea of a better MPG.
I've also owned a couple of Honda CVT's in the 80's - they were ok but I don't really like CVT's, perhaps the latest versions are better though.
Give me a V8 Rover P6 any day (+ an oil well) :)
I will be bringing it down to Cornwall in August, so it will be interesting to see how it handles those hills. We have nothing to compare with those around here, in Hertfordshire.
I think it will be ok, except I will expect 1st to 2nd to be less smooth. The ishift is computer led, it's supposed to read how you drive and does some weird things, like changes from 1st to 3rd or 2nd to 4th and changes down going down hill, also sometimes changes up going up hill. As long as we carry on getting good MPG we are happy to let it get on with it.
If I lived down there I would want a decent test drive, all day if possible.
What sort of caravan will you be pulling racso (only kidding!), they'll be plenty of em down west this year - especially in July & August due to the exchange rate of the Euro.
Yes, I know the shire of Hertford very well from when I drove a lorry delivering to the paper trade & printers ... A tad drier up there than down west comrade, you should be ok come August but ... you know Cornwall!!!
The car will handle normal hills just fine. There is only one hill I have come across (not in Cornwall) that occasionally fools the gearbox and that frankly causes most cars some problems. Because it is so steep you approach it very slowly. First gear is desirable, but the box thinks it wants second, then realises that the hill is really steep and changes down again. The result is a rather jerky process. This could be avoided by approaching a tad quicker, but the hill road is very narrow and has a blind bend.

The gearbox should be considered as a manual box, which it more closely resembles, than an auto-box. Depending on road conditions, speed, braking and throttle it will make more sensible decisions, most of the time, than most drivers faced with a true manual box can manage.

It does not have the smoothness of the CVT box or the precision of a conventional automatic and as a driver you will notice the changes - particularly in the lower ratios - but it will make smoother changes than again most manual box drivers I have driven with can manage - and does so consistently.

There has been a lot of nonsense spouted (usually by people who have only had a five minute road test) about the iShift box. It is not at all unpleasant to drive, once you get over the feeling that the car has control of the gear changes rather than you the driver. The changes themselves are no more disruptive to progress than removing foot from throttle, pressing clutch, changing gear, releasing clutch re-applying throttle - except that the car does it for you, and does it much quicker than it takes to write it down.

The car is designed to produce low emissions with low fuel consumption. You would be hard pressed to make it do less than 50 mpg in normal driving and it even manages around 48 with the air conditioning running. This means that it will tend to use the higher gears wherever possible, skipping interim gears, especially when only the driver is on board. However if you press the gas pedal hard it will kick down one or more gears for overtaking.

The gearbox will change down when descending a hill, with the throttle relaxed, to apply engine braking. This is a great feature that no true automatics I can recall have duplicated.

So much attention has been given to the iShift box by amateur pundits, that they miss the true qualities of this car. The ride quality is streets ahead of the older model, without it ever feeling sloppy or soft. There is more interior space and the seats never make you wish the journey was shorter, as did the older car. I have driven some cars with alleged sporting aspirations that have had poorer road holding.

While it is a much better car than the old Jazz in most respects, it is not a perfect car. The brakes are over-sensitive. The large raked windscreen suffers badly from reflections from the top of the dashboard. The boot space is narrower than that of the older model, and there is no spare wheel, which seems a penny pinching omission - though to be honest, in many years of driving I have never had a puncture that couldn't have been fixed by re-inflating the tyre with the type of repair gel Honda provides.
Poor Excuse for an Automatic - mustangman
I've just had a test of the ishift along with my brother. I was quite impressed overall. Being used to my Golf 1.4 tsi dsg, was a good comparision.
The ishift cannot compete with the dsg for shift smoothness, but I think you would get used to it after a while, and it is a much cheaper car than the VW.

Brother didn't buy one in the end, just not enough "go", even though the engine is smooth & quiet. He also did not like the ugly dash, with all sorts of shapes & orange dial markings.
So ... Is the iShift idiot proof? i.e. could someone (like my wife) hehe! who has driven 'ordinary' automatics for decades, just jump in one and drive orf without any consideration to this state of the art gearbox ,or is there some new technique to learn?
P.S. She once put water in the oil filler of my beloved Dolomite Sprint!!!
Is any car idiot proof? You wouldn't think so from the numbers of idiots you see out there on the roads.

It would be better if you didn't allow your good lady to open the bonnet, but she could simply get into the car and drive it (provided she could figure out the logic to start it - turn on ignition, select Neutral, press the brake, turn the key). However it is worth stressing that this is not an automatic car, but a manual car with computer selected gear changing. Nevertheless, apart from the inevitable slight discontinuity (more or less obvious depending how she drives) of the gear change mechanism, she can drive it in automatic mode without having to relearn how to drive.
"First gear is desirable, but the box thinks it wants second, then realises that the hill is really steep and changes down again."

Isn't it possible to hold it in first? Just as important going down a 1-in-3 hill as going up, surely?
The car can be operated in completely manual mode, with just a flip of the finger on the steering wheel paddle and thus hold any gear you wish, but my comments referred to the automatic gear selection option. As for descending hills the car will change down automatically to seek a more appropriate gear selection for the descent. Again you can override that choice with the paddles.

Unlike the earlier car with the CVT box, selecting the manual option is the instantaneous response to flicking the paddles. Auto mode is most easily re-engaged by tapping the gear change switch to the left. That selector acts as a toggle between auto and manual modes.
>>> The car can be operated in completely manual mode, with just a flip of the finger on the steering wheel paddle and thus hold any gear you wish, <<<

I do like the idea of that Paphi, The Citroen C3 I test drove a few years ago had the automated manual box and I quite enjoyed driving the critter but, er indoors, well - we'll say n'more squire!
My wife has got used to the gearbox fairly quickly however the thing she has a problem with is the sensitive brakes. I have size 11 feet and she has size 5 but is much heavier footed than me for some reason.
Our old car was 2 ltr auto and required light acceleration and heavy braking due to the weight of the car .
The Honda requires heavier acc.n and very light braking but somehow she is having trouble sorting it. I feel like a noddy dog in the front sometimes.
SQ

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/05/2009 at 00:57

I've noticed some women drive bare footed (careful now!) and I've driven likewise myself (SSsshhh) at times, it gives one more feel at the business end!
Perhaps Mr's racso could give it a try but - don't come back to me if she has a prang :)
Does racso's wife lift her foot off the floor to brake?

With racso's size 11's he can leave his heel on the floor as a hinge, but maybe mrs r's size 5's aren't big enough to do that if the brake pedal is set fairly high.

Exactly the same here - and my better half too has not yet got the measure of it. The brakes are far too sensitive - even more so than the older car and that only needed a light touch. The throttle needs far more aggressive treatment if you want to make the car a little less sedate - and requires a determined push to effect a kickdown.
Poor Excuse for an Automatic - obscuresg
I wish I had done my research and read this forum before trading in my 2007 Jazz for a 2008 Jazz.

Every problem I am banging my head against a wall for was listed here.

It looks pretty much like I need to change my driving style and / or use S mode.

Could I get some advice on some issues I'm erm, having issues with?

(1) If I'm turning a corner from a stationary position (wide turn), and I'm on first gear in S mode, I should probably be doing it on second gear?
(2) Same as (1), but in D mode. I was thinking I would step on the accelerator, while in the turn, try to pedal up to control the lurch, but then the up pedal wouldn't be in the right position anymore, and it would be awkward to change my hand position to follow the pedal?
(3) I think that it is unreasonable to assume that pedal shifts occur only when the wheel is straight and the pedals are on the 9-3 position. Is there any "right" way to ensure that the pedals are always available, regardless of the wheel position?
(4) How do I make a "comfortable but fast" acceleration from a stationary position? On the old jazz, it was just step (harder) and go. On the new one, the harder I step, the more the engine revs and doesn't seem to go anywhere, until the lurch kicks in and the gear shifts up.
(5) For some reason, the car doesn't seem to accelerate (much) when I'm in 4th or 5th and the rpms are at 2500. On the older Jazz, 2500 rpms is noisy, but the car is accelerating regardless of what speed it is. What are acceptable revs for the new Jazz without damaging the engine? I've read that ATs require more revs than CVTs.
(6) It's pretty dangerous to be in D mode and try to guess what gear you're on before doing a pedal shift. Is there any way to do this safely? I've tried switching from 4th to 3rd only to realise to my horror it was already in 3rd, and it dropped down to 2nd, causing the rpms to be uncomfortably high.

The back story is that I only got my license in 2007 and I bought the Jazz. I thought all cars were made that way, and never noticed any different despite driving a Nissan Sylphy, a Nissan X-Trail and a Toyota Vios. When the chance came up to get a new Jazz, it never occurred to me that the driving experience would be different (and worse ... for me). I didn't notice the problems during the test drive (probably because I was blinded by the thought of getting a new Jazz).

I've since brought my Jazz back to Honda, both the service personnel and the sales personnel. They've driven it and I noticed that they stepped on the accelerator a lot more than I would have on the previous Jazz. They've also said that it is normal for the car to lurch a bit on the 1st to 2nd gear change, and that the high revs are normal too ... just another characteristic of a 5 speed AT.

It's really been a downer for me, since the thought of driving this car for the next 5 years (to avoid losing a substantial amount of money) doesn't particularly appeal to me. I miss my CVT Jazz, and right now, it just seems like I'm "trying to make the most of it". Which shouldn't be the case. I should be loving driving my new Jazz.

Damn. :(
The only workable answer to 1-6 above is to trade it in for a manual (of the same vintage if you don't want to pay too much again).

If you aren't licensed to drive a manual, see if you can find an automatic Suzuki Swift in your price range - they're cheaper than a Jazz new so you should be ab e to sfford one if you can find one.

The Swift is a proper automatic: I am completely unable to see the point of these semi-automatics unless you have a disabled left foot and still want to change gear.
I think obscuresg should see if he can trade back to a used Jazz with CVT.

Early last year I test drove a Renault Modus diesel AT. I was interested because of very low tax band and high mpg.

The test drive literally made me feel ill. As I've seen someone else say on here, it was like being in a manual car driven by a very poor quality driver.

I wonder how much Renault and Honda wasted on developing low or lowish tax bracket cars which people won't want to drive.

Poor Excuse for an Automatic - redrobin

I have managed to achieve an almost identical situation - my previous Honda CVT was a lovely car - smooth, comfortable and a pleasure to drive - perhaps a bit down on top end performence. I purchased the new version and convinced myself that it just had to be even better - because it was a Honda and every change I had made over the years - it was better.

But I discovered very quickly that this was a dog of a car and really a bad experience. Its not actually dangerous but there are situation where the gear steps during acceleration make one wonder it the car is actually going to make it. The car is comfortable and most of the design changes over the previous model are too the good - its the damn gearbox that spoils it all.

The car is now coming up to 1 year old and I avoid it as much as I can - fortunately, my wife uses it regularly and whilst she feels it is inferior to the CVT version, she manages to cope better than I do. I have access to an auto Astra where the gear change is almost stepless and much nicer to drive - also an Alfa 147 manual which also drives well.

Unless Honda come up with a better auto arrangement by the time I consider to change cars within the next 2 years and I will test drive and take much closer note in future, then its - goodbye Honda - shame really as they are well built motors!

redrobin
The paradox is that Honda assemble a 1.5 torque-converter automatic at Swindon, for sale in South Africa. Can't see why this is not offered here!
Can't see why this is not offered here!

No one would buy it due to its CO2 rating.
I doubt it would be all that different. Especially in manual, but if auto is wanted, it may be a price worth paying, especially if the drivers are typically low-mileage. Lots of TC autos around that are not anywhere as economical.
I doubt it would be all that different.

159gms/km according to the Honda SA site.

I know it's not much (£150 vs £120 roadtax) but the UK auto Jazz was expected to be in the £35 bracket.
Well spotted BP: I looked but couldn't find anything factual:) Could always hope the CVT sold in SE Asia could be an alternative offering? In other places the Jazz has a "sporty" version - its all rather dull here, I have to admit. Two Hondas BTW: but I'm not buying the current offerings whem I change the nigh-on 7 year old Type S Civic. Honda UK seem awfully conservative.
In other places the Jazz has a "sporty" version - its all rather dull here I have to admit.

It's much more of a younger persons car in SE Asia countries and Australia.
Poor Excuse for an Automatic - obscuresg
I think here (Singapore), the FIT comes with CVT, but that's from a parallel importer, not the authorised dealer.

Just an update, I've been driving the car around a bit more and to overcome the 1st to 2nd drag, I drive in manual and just start off from 2nd gear.

On the upslopes, I either change my driving style a bit for gradual slopes (ease off the accelerator and press it again) or switch to manual mode. I know that's not an ideal situation, but at least the car is more manageable.

A friend of mine, who has a more aggressive driving style than me, managed the car perfectly well, so maybe it's a bit of the driving style. Bah humbug. :(
>> A friend of mine who has a more aggressive driving style than me managed the
car perfectly well so maybe it's a bit of the driving style. Bah humbug. :(

That makes sense - if your driving style is a little cautious, then the auto transmission will be uncertain about what to do. It will respond better to more positive inputs.
(This applies to all autos, not just Jazz/Fit CVT).

Edited by Bill Payer on 30/11/2009 at 08:53

Poor Excuse for an Automatic - rancid ray
new jazz a total disaster,re; transmission. lumpy & slow gearchange,inviting a rear collision on the twisty hills where i live,& have you tried reversing uphill slowly,it will shake your teeth out.Luckily,most of mine are now securely glued in. All other aspects are better than my first jazz,except,no spare wheel,handbook buried under rear seat cushion,& rear boot cover stragetically placed to split your forehead when loading up the boot.all in all, well done honda for ruining the best car i have had.rancid ray