2000 Ford focus 1.8 petrol - Increased mpg - redex or superunleaded? - Focus_Driver

My car was recently only getting around 23 mpg driving locally, not traffic jams. At 37 mpg combined official I'd expected about 30 mpg. The car had been serviced, oil and filters, and is runnning fine. I've always use supermarket unleaded but decided to try BP superunleaded. I also put in some redex fuel/additive injector cleaner. Its only been a few days but I've noticed the fuel gauge not moving down as fast compared to before. Its too early to tell whether the mpg has increased and whether the slow moving fuel gauge is just psychological. Would putting in redex and superunleaded help mpg? Is it better to use just one rather than both, would superunleaded have redex agents in already? I've heard redex cleans the injectors? The cars done 103k miles. I haven't noticed an increase in performance.

Increased mpg - redex or superunleaded? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

Wait until you have used a full tank. Then decide if the extra 10p per litre was worth it.

Superunleaded is generally of benefit to benefit to vehicles with automatic knock sensing.

I tried the 'super diesel' once and apart from some additional smoothness there were no added benefits.

Increased mpg - redex or superunleaded? - WellKnownSid

Injector cleaner has increased the mpg on my 22 year old Merc from 25 to 29 almost overnight. Nothing a good blast wouldn't have done I'm sure, as the car had been sat on a forecourt for some months - but impressive all the same.

2000 Ford focus 1.8 petrol - Increased mpg - redex or superunleaded? - AlastairW

23mpg is about right around town I'm afraid. Mine used to drop below 20mpg in winter, though I could get 40mpg on a long run.

2000 Ford focus 1.8 petrol - Increased mpg - redex or superunleaded? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

As my previous reply (perfectly relevant) has been deleted and the delightful life insurance ads are muscling in, I will now take a break and do some painting. In the loo.

2000 Ford focus 1.8 petrol - Increased mpg - redex or superunleaded? - WellKnownSid

Don't worry - it hasn't been deleted, the OP started about three different threads - this isn't the one that you or I replied to!

Edit: have merged into one thread now.

Edited by WellKnownSid on 15/03/2010 at 20:58

2000 Ford focus 1.8 petrol - Increased mpg - redex or superunleaded? - Focus_Driver

Reason there were 3 threads was because I got an error when I created ithe first one. I was surprised it has appeared because I gave up after 3 tries.

Anyway, I will wait and see if there is any improevment. I've only put in a quarter tank of super, the redex bottle has 7 more doses. Or could it be coincidence that the warmer weather is giving me better mpg? I used to get 40 in my tdci around town and the official combined was 51, so I calculated a ratio of 40/51 = 0.78. I therefore deduced that I should have got 29mpg out of my petrol (0.78 x 37 = 29). Of course this is highly theoretical!

2000 Ford focus 1.8 petrol - Increased mpg - redex or superunleaded? - WellKnownSid

There were some issues earlier, but should all be resolved now.

The warmer weather will make a difference - that's why it's best to compare over a couple of tankfulls when driving style, traffic conditions and things like the weather should even out.

A petrol engine's economy will degrade much more around town than a diesel - in part because of the pumping losses due to the restriction at the throttle, and for several other reasons that I can't remember!

Edited by WellKnownSid on 15/03/2010 at 21:38

2000 Ford focus 1.8 petrol - Increased mpg - redex or superunleaded? - sajid

placing some injector cleaner will help to improve mpg, as running the car in local runs can contribute to clogging up the injectors, a quick italian tune up will do, also if your car is doing short runs, better to change the oil evey 6 months