Vauxhall Combo Van 1994 1.7D - Battery light stays on and dodgy fuel guage - stuartl

Hi all and a warm welcome back to HJ! I have just bought a stopgap van and have a couple of issues with it. Firstly, the battery light just stays on, nice and bright, not just flickering. The alternator is obviously charging ok as the van turns over fine but is this likely to be an alternator fault or a fault within the loom of the van? Secondly, the fuel guage seems to have a mind of its own. It slowly travels around its range of readings without a care in the world. Does this sound like a guage or sender fault. As always, all replies gratefully received.

Vauxhall Combo Van 1994 1.7D - Battery light stays on and dodgy fuel guage - Peter.N.

Seems strange that its charging OK with the light on, the exiter voltage to the alternator is supplied via the lamp and if its on means there is no 12 volts on the alternator connection - unless someone has been messing with the wiring.

Vauxhall Combo Van 1994 1.7D - Battery light stays on and dodgy fuel guage - elekie&a/c doctor

This van will be fitted with the Isuzu engine.The battery warning light is controlled by a seperate relay located behind the drivers footwell panel,by the bonnet release. In fact the chraging voltage can be correct,but the signal to the relay or the relay itself can be at fault,so keeping the light on.As for the fuel gauge,nothing to worry about.All these early Corsa had a wandering needle.hth

Vauxhall Combo Van 1994 1.7D - Battery light stays on and dodgy fuel guage - stuartl

Many thanks for both of the replies, elekie you may recall you answered an earlier post of mine about a Nissan Sunny I had bought with a fuel/temp guage that was not working! It seems I have a thing about dodgy fuel guages!! I have actually tracked down a voltage regulator for the Nissan but really want to get the van one sorted. I filled it to the brim on Saturday and it never moved past half full. Now, 150 miles later it shows empty though it cant be. Should I try a new sender? Also I might try and get a relay and see if that sorts the battery light. Thanks again, once again!