BMW Z4 3.0L SE Auto - My 2nd mid-life crisis car! - tack
Since I was diagnosed with PD last year and put on a short term driving licence, I have been pondering just what to get for my 2nd mid life crisis (The first being a heart attack in the wilds of Dartmoor in 2006, resulting in a 9-3 Saab cabriolet)

I had set my heart (But not my head) on a Boxter, but having sat in one knew it wasn't for me or, to be precise, my broad beam rear end!

Next was the original SLK Merc'. My, what a claustrophobic cockpit! I felt as though I was in a coffin.

I turned my fickle head and heart to a Z4 BMW. I sat in it and, glory be, it was comfy, roomy. It was so easy to get in, but could I get out again with dignity intact? (I am 55 & not the nimblest bloke in the world) Tell you what, it was easier to get out of than my Golf. I could almost literally bound out of the thing in one movement!

It is a beautiful 2003 53 plate 3.0L SE with just 22k on the clock, red leather, electric seats with memory, nav pack, blue tooth prepped, TV (Gosh!) It is immaculate and a credit to previous owner. Contrary to usual posts re BMW drivers, it does have an indicator stalk! I am going to have a sticker "Not your usual BMW driver" put on the rear.

Driving it put such a grin on my face that were it summer, flies would be stuck to my teeth! Even Mrs T, who is bored by the whole process is enthusiastic. I may invest in a head scarf for her and a long stylish cigarette holder. She don't smoke, but can pretend.

I know it will drink petrol. I know it is group 19 insurance, but I don't give a monkey's bottom! I like the noise the 3 litre makes. Live each day as though it is your last, cos one day it will be true!

I pick it up Wednesday. i don't think I will sleep 'til then.
BMW Z4 3.0L SE Auto - My 2nd mid-life crisis car! - rtj70
Sounds like you've made your choice and about to thoroughly enjoy it. And I really hope you do.
BMW Z4 3.0L SE Auto - My 2nd mid-life crisis car! - bimmer-driver

My boss has one. The 2.5si M sport 2007. Its a stunning car. Not beautiful, but appears incredibly fresh and modern. The looks of the car have aged incredibly well over the last 7 years. Just beware of the VERY harsh ride, and expensive runflats.
I did notice that the 18" run flats do "Tram-Line" somewhat. Whether it becomes tiresome or not I don't really know.

What I hope (and believe will be the case) is that it will be a practical every day use car; for a roadster. I have a 24 mile round trip to the office each day, 23 of which are dual carriageway against the rush hour flow. This should allow me to open her up within legal limits. In the summer there is a nice twisty country route home, so look forward to top down motoring, cockney rebel from the sound system.

I was surprised at how much room there was in the boot, and the hood up or down makes no difference at all.

As I got the car from a BMW main dealer I have a full 1yr warranty which gives me some comfort. I have to say, the show room was jam packed with people ordering cars. This really surprised me, but I guess with low interest rates on your savings, you are better to invest in JOY than the bank.
BMW Z4 3.0L SE Auto - My 2nd mid-life crisis car! - Dude - {P}

>>>I did notice that the 18" run flats do "Tram-Line" somewhat. Whether it becomes tiresome or not I don't really know. >>

If you are concerned with the tramlining there is a simple solution - just ditch the RFT`s and fit conventional tyres !!

My son runs a 2007 325 Ci which not only tramlined, but would actually tramp around corners (front wheels bounce wide of the intended line).

Since fitting conventional tyres, the car has been totally transformed, better ride, less road noise, no tramlining or cornering tramp - it is beyond me why BMW continue with this ridiculous policy of RFT`s.

By the way, you can purchase the obligatory space saver spare wheel and jack from BMW for approx £70.

BMW Z4 3.0L SE Auto - My 2nd mid-life crisis car! - Pezzer
I am very very very jealous ! Its what I want, but 3 kids and 2 dogs say different. Good on you...........
BMW Z4 3.0L SE Auto - My 2nd mid-life crisis car! - DP
My neighbour has just bought a 2.5 in metallic grey and it is rather lovely. The sound of that straight six even firing up from cold is just to die for.

He's had the midlife crisis jibes from all of us rather envious folk in the street. Strangely, he doesn't seem too bothered. :-)

Lovely car. Enjoy it!
BMW Z4 3.0L SE Auto - My 2nd mid-life crisis car! - honeybear
I read somewhere that a mid-life crisis does not really exist and its just a time in our lives that we can do what we want to do. We have had large estates, Omega, Volvo as a main car and medium estates Focus, Astra etc as a second for the last 17 years due to the carriage of dogs and family etc and now that they are all away and it comes to change the car at the end of the year we can sit down and say yes I do think that the BMW Coupe will suit us well, were really looking forward to our "our" time.
BMW Z4 3.0L SE Auto - My 2nd mid-life crisis car! - legacylad
Good for you Tack.
For my 2nd MLC in '97 I bought a new Elise. Recently I was about to get a 2.0 MX5 for my 3rd MLC but ended up with a 330Ci convertible on an '04 plate. Bubbles to the mpg and insurance costs. Sadly a friend now has a new TTRS softtop which makes the 330 look like an old womans car!
BMW Z4 3.0L SE Auto - My 2nd mid-life crisis car! - cheddar
"Good for you Tack."

Agreed!

Well, have had the car since 24th Feb and I really like it! Have got used to tramlining and just really concentrate hard on what I am doing. MPG better than I thought, 33mpg on commute, but mid to low 20's pushing it around country bends. Fitted cruise control myself, it was a 20 minute breeze to do it.

It has the BMW engine sound generator which, essentially, pumps engine noise into the cockpit through a baffled tube. Sounds like a flipping WW2 fighter plane at full crank. I have heard of people removing the baffles to get full effect, but having heard it on youtube, prefer to keep my hearing!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZOpPyN53pc

Satnav is a bit old fashioned and you can't do postcode search. Bluetooth is hit and miss regarding which phones it works with.

Anyways, I like it, really like it. Makes my 09 Golf 1.4 Tsifeel like a Russian Tractor in comparison.

BMW Z4 3.0L SE Auto - My 2nd mid-life crisis car! - Avant

Congratulations, Tack (I was on holiday so didn't see this thread last month). I have a Y-registered Z3 - just as a fun car rather than for daily use; but it's very easy to use everydsy if you want to or need to. Mine is a 2.2 and incredibly tractable around town but with lots of oomph on the open road.

I'll flog it in the summer to pay for younger daughter's wedding but it'll have been two great years with it.

BMW Z4 3.0L SE Auto - My 2nd mid-life crisis car! - barney100

Go for it! Suggest growing a dastardly moustache and have a great time.