05 2.2 "Approved Used" Service Shedule - drumguy
Hi HJ,

I have bought an "approved used" Toyota Avensis Estate.

Prior to collection I emphasised to the sales personnel that I required a Full Toyota Service Stamped History as a condition of the sale. This they said was no problem. They said it existed and they would get it. I trusted them - saw no reason not to - I mean it's Toyota !!!!!!!

On collection the salesman said he would "post" the service and other documents out with the car. I told him that I was very unhappy about this.

I met with a Toyota Manager today and for the first time held the service history in my hands. On inspection it reveals an incomplete service schedule.

I think the car should have a minor service every 10,000/every year and a "Health & Safety Service" every 20,000/two years. The actual history is :-

Service 1 @ 14/11/06 Miles 4759
Service 2 @ 1/11/07 Miles 21236
Service 3 @ 31/1/10 Miles 45779

The Toyota Manager having contacted the previous owner said that the vehicle had not been serviced at the specified intervals due to the previous owners "financial problems". I feel I have been deceived. I feel that Toyota bought a "bargain" and then sold the car to me as "approved used" I suspect now that they did this in full knowledge from the outset since a service record was never evident until after collection.

My major issues are that they can't fix a service history and I'm worried that the car is a liability for my ownership.

Any opinions welcome.
05 2.2 "Approved Used" Service Shedule - VR6
The minimum I would expect an 'Approved Used' car from any make of dealership would be a full and complete manufacturer service schedule. Our Avensis (58 plate) does about 20k+ a year, and as you say has a minor service every 10k, and a major one every 20k, give or take +/- 1000 miles

Toyota do a 'no quibble 30 day exchange (if you have done less than 500 miles)' on used cars. However, I would only use this as a last resort, as you may incur costs, check their website for details.
05 2.2 "Approved Used" Service Shedule - Falkirk Bairn
Sale of Goods would allow you to return the car for a full refund.

The car was not as described - service record was misrepresented. (you were lied to!!)
05 2.2 "Approved Used" Service Shedule - piston power
Was it serviced before you picked it up by them?

These days with long life oils services do get extended but yours has gone over to approx 24k but still all in all should be ok, see if they offer you a good will gesture like a free service and mot next year or some cash back if you still like the car.

What is the mileage now?
05 2.2 "Approved Used" Service Shedule - Bill Payer
You would need to check the T's & C's but some manufacturers won't allow cars be sold as "Approved Used" without a full service history.

(You could have problems if you try to use the Approved Used warranty, especially at a different garage).

Edited by Bill Payer on 15/02/2010 at 10:09

05 2.2 "Approved Used" Service Shedule - M.M
Is this a diesel? If it is as I suspect I would 100% reject it.... if petrol I'd still have much the same thought. You no doubt paid a top Toyota dealer price so everything was spot on and this is a major deviation from what you'd expect from a dealer approved used car.

Taking a free service or other financial compensation is no help if something expensive related to poor engine maintenance fails one month outside the used warranty.

I never ever buy a car where the history is *to follow*... so often it hides bad news. I'm sure had this history been in the car at the start you wouldn't have bought it and that really is the issue here.

Edited by M.M on 15/02/2010 at 10:44

05 2.2 "Approved Used" Service Shedule - ajsdoc
This very thing happened to me with a Honda. Advertised as "Full Service History" and then turned out a service missed (main dealer said he'd called prev owner and the service was missed due to expense). What was worse I then asked them to confirm the Honda approved warranty would be OK and turned out the missed service caused issues.

Got full refund - minor resistance from dealer but mention of Sale of Goods' Act and the look that I meant I would pursue it (I would have appointed a solicitor) made for a quick return.

I had kept a copy of the advertisement on the dealer's web page outlining "Full Service History".

I recommend getting your money back (the car will likely be fine - but it is not as described and this will always be at the back of your mind).

Edited by ajsdoc on 15/02/2010 at 18:13

05 2.2 "Approved Used" Service Shedule - drumguy
Hi - thanks for all your replies and the useful advice - just to clarify :-

1. It's a 2.2 D

2. Toyota did service the car before sale. However, after 24,000 miles of a gap they only did a 50,000 interim service (or 10,000 schedule not the 20,000???!!). This made me even more annoyed. Complete cheapskates. They griped about changing a tyre, new brake discs and pads but never changed some of the fluids & filters that they should after 24,000 or 2years 3months of a gap.

3. I've stopped using the car after around 200 miles until it's resolved.

cheers

drumguy