Motor show advertising - PhilW
See on news that the "feminists" have been protesting about the use of a model (female) in underwear to advertise the motorshow. Isn't it about time that the males started protesting also?! After all, isn't it demeaning to males to suggest that we might be influenced by the sight of a partially dressed young lady?!! Surely it's just the cars we are interested in - or is it equally demeaning to suggest that all we are interested in is sex and cars??!!
PhilW
P.S. Haven't seen the offending poster myself - is it anywhere on the internet?
That new Bentley is a bit of alright - I wonder when Haynes is going to strip her down for a new manual??
Motor show advertising - HF
Since no males are influenced by the sight of a scantily-clad (female) model, maybe they could campaign for the use of half-naked male models instead. Would stop all these feminist complaints, and at the same time hopefully bring more women into what is generally regarded as something of a male-orientated environment ;)
Motor show advertising - Paul Mykatz-Tinks
Quite right, HF, but I think the lack of interest is that women just can't be bothered with things mechanical.

The ad in question was designed by a woman and was supposed to be a whimsy. That silly government woman is just PC unleashed, and completely missed the point.

We need to quickly gather up the PC brigade, insert them in a cruise ship, and sink it in the middle of the South Atlantic.

Bark.
Go for it Paul, I'm sure there'll be a lot of us right behind you!
At the risk of sounding pro 'the minister', which I'm not, I think the point she was trying to make, albeit unsuccessfully, is that these days women form as much (or nearly) of the car-buyers' market as men. And that maybe, as such, ads which, (whether designed by male or female,) if they are intended to appeal to just one sex, really are not going to reach the wider market which exists today. I know most people here won't agree with me, and I know sex in ads sells, but if it's true that in 15 years time at least half the nation's car-buyers are going to be women, then at some point the advertisers are going to have to think of a different strategy.

By the way, in case this post suggests otherwise, I am one of the least PC/feminist people you could ever have the misfortune to know.

HF
Motor show advertising - Toad, of Toad Hall.
is that these days women form as much (or nearly) of
the car-buyers' market as men. And that maybe, as such, ads
which, (whether designed by male or female,) if they are intended
to appeal to just one sex, really are not going to
reach the wider market which exists today

Thing is HF pictures of scantilly clad women *do* appeal to women.

Have a flick through Marie Clare or some such female mag.

Scantilly clad women are used to sell both to women and to men.

At the autosport show last year one of the bike manufacturers had a pole dancer on thier product. It got a *far* bigger crowd than Nigel Mansel. [1]

Toad took the oppotunity of the quiet spell elsewhere to go and look at a heratige shell RS2000 and the Westies.

[1] Now Nigel Mansel pole dancing - that would be entertainment!
--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
www.private-eye.co.uk/innews
Fair point, Toad.

What puzzles me, is how anyone, male or female, can be so shallow as to allow their purchasing decisions on anything, let alone something as important as a car/bike, be affected by whatever semi-clad human happens to be draped across it.
Motor show advertising - Dynamic Dave
"feminists" have been protesting about the use of a model
(female) in underwear to advertise the motorshow.

Surely it's just the cars we are interested in?

Particulary the bumpers and headlights :o)
>> "feminists" have been protesting about the use of a model
>> (female) in underwear to advertise the motorshow.
>> Surely it's just the cars we are interested in?
Particulary the bumpers and headlights :o)

And the hooters.
--
Motor show advertising - Rebecca {P}
You can see the ad on the BBC news site. There is also a 'talking point' on it where people can leave their views. Unbelievably, it seems that there is a woman who won't let her young son go to the show with his Dad because of the scantily clad women that will be there. er, hello?!

Rebecca

who can't see what all the fuss is about.
Motor show advertising - Peter
I suppose it is OK then for the BBC to hire billboards to advertise a new series, the image in question features the naked bodies of four muscular young men viewed from the rear. Any complaints yet do we know?
I have a solution.

To reduce the power that scantily clad tottie on billboards has on the population we should be desensitised by strict regulations requiring all women [1] to dress, and behave, suggestively at all times.

This would be a firm blow for feminism.

[1] Except mingers.
--