BMW Extended Fully Comp Warranty Scam - Dougie130

I am writing this to warn other BMW drivers. I own a 06 2.0d X3 with 43k miles that has a full BMW service history. The car is supposedly covered by extended BMW Comprehensive Component Cover warranty (their most expensive top level cover). Shortly after its last major service the car developed a Turbo fault. The dealer told me that the turbo had failed due to a build up of carbon and this wasn?t covered under the warranty. The estimate for the repair was £4000. I asked how this could have happened the reason given was lots of short drives!!!! or possibly bad fuel. . After much deliberation under goodwill they reduced the cost to £1200. I have information suggesting that the local BMW dealer has seen this problem on at least 10 BMW X3 and their technical department does not know why this is happening! Has anyone else reported this fault? I know under the 3 year warranty this problem is fixed free of cost. If anyone has any other suggestions to help me on this matter it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
BMW Extended Fully Comp Warranty Scam - CraigP
I own a 06 2.0d X3

Blimey , they're getting worse! I can't believe they scammed you into buying that :-P Only kidding (!)

In terms of the warranty, the only thing i can think of is to go for a refund of the full warranty cost, but im guessing even thats not much help given the repair is £4k.

Your best bet is to beat them over the head with the others you've evidence of. I can't think of much else to do. If it's a case of keeping the cost down, i'd have a word with your local BMW indie who might be able to source a replacement engine economically (or might not...) or will be able to repair cheaper than the dealers.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/02/2010 at 00:47

BMW Extended Fully Comp Warranty Scam - CJay{P}
I am very surprised that,
1) a replacement turbo costs 4k
2) BMW refused to stump up for such a new car on low mileage.

When my turbo went (320D), the car had done 92k, and over 4 years old and no extended warranty. The quotation for replacement turbo was just under 1300, and BMW made a goodwill payment of over 600.
the cause of the turbo failure was carbon build up, I was told the engine needs recoked (stripped and chemical cleaning) A guy I know you works at the dealer says its a problem they have seen a number of times. only last week same car, same problem the guy had to fork out £1600 after good will.
BMW Extended Fully Comp Warranty Scam - Bill Payer
I was told the engine needs recoked

You must be relatively young! It's decoked.
BMW Extended Fully Comp Warranty Scam - gordonbennet
the cause of the turbo failure was carbon build up

Where is this carbon build up and why is it there, is the dealer suggesting that it's you the owners fault somehow that their cars build up excessive carbon blocking turbo oilways?
BMW Extended Fully Comp Warranty Scam - Bill Payer
Pay the bill under protest and then sue them in the Small Claims Court as the car isn't fit for purpose.
BMW Extended Fully Comp Warranty Scam - kithmo
I can describe the reason this has happened in just 3 words:
Extended service intervals
BMW Extended Fully Comp Warranty Scam - Old Navy
I can describe the reason this has happened in just 3 words:
Extended service intervals

I think I will stick with half the recommended interval for oil changes, regardless of all the "manufacturer knows best" devotees. Fleet manager spec intervals, not for me thanks.
yeah your right. Before the BMW I had a 11 year old megane 130k miles i serviced it myself cost approx £35 per service. Most expensive part I ever replaced due to failure cost £120. Steep learning curves are never fun!!!
BMW Extended Fully Comp Warranty Scam - JohnM{P}
From BMW's website regarding their Used Car Warranty:

"What's covered by the BMW Approved Used Car Warranty? It would be easier to ask what's not covered. Apart from routine service items like tyres, brake pads and discs, as well as any parts requiring repair or replacement due to normal wear and tear or age, your Approved Used BMW has unlimited mileage protection against breakdown and repair costs for both parts and labour for 12 months."

That certainly seems to promise comprehensive cover - have you checked the detailed wording in the fine print yourself?

The entries for 3 series (current and previous models) in HJ's Car by Car mention turbo failures for the 320d; I presume the engines are the same or similar to your X3, so it seems it is not an uncommon problem. Ask why therefore they didn't check for carbon buildup at the service.
'Bad fuel'? Not unless the previous owner had kept it in some far flung forgotten corner of Europe...
BMW Extended Fully Comp Warranty Scam - Lygonos
as well as any parts requiring repair or replacement due to normal wear and tear or age <<

The usual get-out clause for most problems.

Wheelbearings at 70k miles ? They all do that sir.

Turbos at 70 ? Yup, them too.

etc.
BMW Extended Fully Comp Warranty Scam - movilogo
Did you try arguing with BMW customer service directly? A turbo failure is a major one and should be covered unless specifically excluded from warranty T&C.

Often dealers will refuse warranty claims but behind the scene they will be reimbursed by BMW as warranty claim.

BMW Extended Fully Comp Warranty Scam - WorkshopTech
Nothing in the original post surpirses me.
Yes, this is a common problem. It is due to extended service intervals and the car doing relatively short journies.
Take my advice and stick to a BMW LL04 spec oil, low SAPS (we use Exol LSV) but change it at least annually (ignore the LL service intervals). Dont change up as soon as you can, allow the engine to rev a bit before changing up (even if it feels like it doesnt need to).

turbo failure is relaively common, but he original price quoted by the dealer is ridiculous (although they do sometimes come out with mad figures). The final figure is not too bad.
Cant comment on the warranty situations.

As I have said in other posts, trouble with the main engine is rare these days but its the expensive ancilliary parts that give us the problems and they can often fail and quite low mileages and be expensive to fix.
BMW Extended Fully Comp Warranty Scam - L'escargot
The dealer told me that the turbo had failed due to a build up of carbon and this wasn?t covered under the warranty.

"Scam" is a highly emotive word, often used to elicit support and sympathy from people who don't know all the facts of the case. It's always wise to read the terms and conditions of any warranty before making a purchase.

Edited by L'escargot on 06/02/2010 at 09:46

BMW Extended Fully Comp Warranty Scam - b308
I don't understand the references to extended servicing... I can't see anywhere that the OP said the BM was on them, and my understanding was that if the car was used for lots of small journeys the manufacturers tell you not to use extended services but revert to normal servicing @ 12 months.
BMW Extended Fully Comp Warranty Scam - sandy56
Sorry to hear of your problems.
Once again the high cost of maintenance of modern diesels shows its ugly head.
I was thinking of buying a 3 yr old BMW diesel but I think I will stick with petrol.

I dont travel big miles.
L'escargot another definition for the word Scam.

A confidence trick or confidence game (also known as a bunko, con, flim flam, gaffle, grift, hustle, scheme, swindle or bamboozle) is an attempt to defraud a person or group by gaining their confidence.

BMW gained my confidence and then what happened.....

Edited by Dougie130 on 06/02/2010 at 12:33

BMW Extended Fully Comp Warranty Scam - jbif
Shortly after its last major service the car developed a Turbo fault. The dealer told me that the turbo had failed due to a build up of carbon and this wasn’t covered under the warranty. The estimate for the repair was £4000. I asked how this could have happened the reason given was lots of short drives!!!! or possibly bad fuel. . >>

I think to find the real cause, you need to get it examined by a real, qualified, independent, expert professional Chartered Engineer, and not your run of the mill mechanic or a technician.

However, nothing to stop me joining other armchair detectives on this thread and speculating on the cause. My money is on
either:
1. A problem introduced by the service mechanic who did the last major service shortly before the turbo fault developed.
or
2. The driver to blame for not allowing the turbo to cool down (As HJ says, turbos fail due to "owners failing to idle turbos from red hot before switching off. If they don't let the engine idle for a minute or two while the turbo rotor spools down, thus pumping fresh oil through the turbo bearings, the oil in the bearings can carbonise and the bearings effectively run unlubricated.").

p.s. If it was the long life servicing, there would be thousands of BMWs engines and turbos every year, and ruin the manufacturer's reputation and no one would buy the cars any more. I note also that the oft repeated complete tosh of the myth of fleets asking for long life serving has once again been trotted out in this thread.
BMW Extended Fully Comp Warranty Scam - David Horn
Except diesel turbos don't get that hot.
Before i bought the car i was told about letting turbos spool down, keeping the engine running etc to prolong the life of the turbo. I was also told this is isnt a problem with newer turbo diesels but that could be wrong.

Further up date, I was speaking to a mechanic at the dealership, he says they are seeing alot of X3s with this build of carbon problem. But mainly on the 2.0d x3, i asked him what was the difference between that engine and the 3 series 2.0d (I assume they are nearly identical) that is causing this, they dont know (the dealer and BMW UK). i have asked for photos of the inside of my engine where it is affected and I will post them as soon as get them. I would incourage anyone inside their 3 year warranty to get this checked out. The fully comp extended warranty will not cover this. They can quickly drop a fiberoptic camera into the engine to have a look. Sorry thats what I have been told but I could be wrong.

thank again everyone
BMW Extended Fully Comp Warranty Scam - BMWs ARE RUBBISH

Hi, I have a 2006 E91 320d touring and had to replace the turbo and pistons last week with no help from BMW. Cost me £3200. My car had full service history from main dealer but had ran out of warranty. BMW UK do not care and are happy with all the bad press about the 2ltr D faults. (turbo, auto box, swirl flaps). I have been driving BMWs for over 25 years and never had any issues.

Early BMWs did have a turbo fault but I was told this was resolved and the new 2006 - 2008 car was fine but it looks like the fault is worse and now starting to rase it head again. I would advise anyone thinking of purchasing a pre 2009 D to think again just google faulty bmw turbo / swirl flaps and read all the horror stories.

My advice is to tell everyone and everything about your issues. post them on every web site.

BMW Extended Fully Comp Warranty Scam - Andy P

I was under the impression that the EMS in a BMW adjusted the service interval depending on how the car is driven - lots of short journeys = shorter service intervals.

I was also under the impression that a warranty was valid as long as the car is serviced according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Now, if you failed to do that and something went wrong, I could understand BMW being "relucatant" to help, but if you've serviced it when the car said it needed to serviced, they shouldn't be able to wriggle out of paying up.

BMW Extended Fully Comp Warranty Scam - madf

For an idea of how carbon can build up in a diesel, read the link showing a Toyota Auris EGR valve almost closed with carbon.

I blame short journeys and not enough revs and supermarket diesel..

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=106241

I suspect the X3 has the same issues : heavy car , small diesel, driven in town a lot, never warmed up..

BMW Extended Fully Comp Warranty Scam - V4 Heaven

I've just read the thread regarding the Auris T180 Diesel EGR valve. I note that the result was about 40-41 mpg at 70mph on the motorway.

I still remain amazed that new cars with clean burning diesel engines are only returning 40-41 mpg when my 140,000 mile petrol Toyota Carina returns 43mpg at 80mph and more than this on my daily commute on A roads. I'd love a newer car but can't see the point.

BMW Extended Fully Comp Warranty Scam - Wakers

this sound very familiar, I think your problem is a filter which is designed to capture diesel particles, it is in all diesel engines now, I have a mazda and the DPF as it is known clogs up regularly if the car isn't driven on motorways with revs above 2000 at a speed of more than 25 miles an hour. In effect the DPF makes the car not fit for around town driving.

Your car should warn you when the DPF is starting to get blocked, this is a common problem all diesel cars will have this issue now until a better DPF is installed, the idea is that the carbon builds up in the DPF and is burnt off during a regen cycle once the engine is at a certain temp. The problem is you have no idea when this will happen and if you stop driving during the cycle it wont regen again and you have to get it done by your dealer, if you don't then your engine can in effect blow up.

I have spoken with the all the governing bodies about this, I have reported to watch dog who have previously investigate, I have spoken with office of fair trading and have come up again a brick wall, everyone in the motor industry says the same thing, the problem isn't with the car it's the driving style.

Finally this rather conveniently is not covered by your warranty as it your fault. Even though I bet no one told you at point of sale that you couldn't drive the car around town.

BMW Extended Fully Comp Warranty Scam - Andy P

I thought is was fairly common knowledge that diesel cars only make sense if you cover high mileage.

I suspect that most car buyers don't ask the dealer anything beyond "can I have one in _______" (insert favourite colour here). Considering it's the second most expensive purchase after a house, you'd think people would take a little more care about it, but I guess in a lot of cases if it looks nice and it's a nice colour then that's enough.

Caveat emptor I say.

BMW Extended Fully Comp Warranty Scam - Wakers

I would say that it is very much defect which isn't clearly advertised, and therefore should be the responsibility of the manufacturer and that it shouldn't be classed as being down to driving style.

For me the issue is that there are far too many variables and that dealers don't have a clue when the auto re-gen should happen, there is a warning light which tells when the DPF is that clogged up you have to take it to the dealer, I would have thought it made more sense to prevent this happening, prevension being better than the cure, why not put something on the dash which tells you when you car is going to regen giving the chance to complete the cycle as from what I can tell the issue comes when you stop driving or reduce revs to less than 2000rpm during the regen cycle as it wont auto regen again and will just get clogged up.

I realise that drivers could enquire more about suitability but also think that, as this is such a large outlay that dealers and manufacturers could and should be more open, if it was an insurance product and the seller didn't disclose any exclusions there would trouble, but there seems to be no regulation over to motor industry and they are able to get away with this.

BMW Extended Fully Comp Warranty Scam - b308

I thought is was fairly common knowledge that diesel cars only make sense if you cover high mileage.

Thats simply not true... I run one doing about 14/15k pa... it still works out cheaper than the equivelent petrol...

Individual circumstances change things, so "catch all" statements like that are innacurate and misleading...

BMW Extended Fully Comp Warranty Scam - 1ladyowner

Hi - I have a 07 X3i deisel. It started losing power and has been back to the dealer 4 times in the last 2 months. Not under extended warranty but after the third attempt at not fixing the problem, they stripped the car down and told me that the engine was clogged up by carbon. They told me this was due to the manner in which I had been driving (in a built up area and the engine was not getting sufficient revs!!). The bill was £3.000. The car has been back with me one week and this weekend, I have been on a recovery truck twice. Lost power and completely broken down. Both recovering mechanics from Westbourne motors (40 years in the trade) have told me that BMW have a known problem with this engine leaking from the turbo. Absolutely nothing to do with the way its driven!!!!! They were both disgusted that BMW refuse to admit the problem. The engines should have been recalled. They advised me to take legal action.

Hope this has helped and we should all club together to recover our money (let alone all the time and inconvenience).

Thank You