96 1.1 Running Rich - Herr Minger
I have scraped this car through the last three MOTs by fitting my wifes exhaust to my car and getting it as hot as hell before the emmisions test and even then it has failed at least once and needed a retest. I will probably have to give up this September when it is due again which is a shame as the engine is OK, it doesn't use oil and the oil stays relatively clean for 4000 between changes. It is however running rich as the sooty plugs will testify. Any ideas on dealing with this cheaply as I do not want to take it to a garage to have the ECU looked at or tested as it costs a mint and my car is worth about £200. The Lambda is quite new (@18 months) but I suspect the cat is naff as it would never get through emmisions with it fitted, as I have already said I normally pinch the wifes for an MOT.

I know that the Lambda senses the oxygen content of the exhaust gases and the ECU adjusts accordingly but what I would like to know is what it (ecu) adjusts and could this be the fault. Incidently, I have a code reader but this doesn't find any faults and the engine light doesn't come on.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 04/02/2010 at 19:02

96 1100 Running Rich - Herr Minger
I must add to this post that I have a spare throttle body and so if one of the components of the throttle body is faulty and responsible for not controlling the mixture properly, I can change it.
96 1100 Running Rich - CraigP
Leaky injector(s)?

Not sure how to prove that but for completeness i'd probably check the resistance across each of them and i'd have a listen to each through a long handled screwdriver or a stethoscope if you've already got one.

You can get them reconditioned fairly cheaply (google says £10 each with new seals where applicable), even at that i'd be inclined to phone up and ask for their best price on a batch of 4.
Cheers for that, Worth looking at. Luckily it's a single point. By reconditioned do you mean cleaned as in ultrasound. I actually have a spare injector from my spare throttle body which I could try using.
96 1100 Running Rich - CraigP
yeah ultrasonic clean thats the one.

Trying the spare injector seems a better bet though! :-)
I'll try it as soon as the weather allows and see how it goes.
96 1100 Running Rich - RichardW
You'd really need to see the MOT emissions print out to get a better idea of what's going on. Have you measured the resistance of the coolant temp sensor though? It should be vastly different between hot and cold - if not then you have likely found the cause. Does it use a lot of petrol?
.*********

Fast Idle Pass
Engine Speed 2918 Pass
CO Level at 2918 0.12 Pass
HC Level at 2918 46ppm Pass
Lambda at 2918 1.02 Pass

Natural Idle Test Pass
Engine Speed 855 rpm Pass
CO Level at 0.07 Pass

8/9/2009

Like I have already posted I had to get it really hot and it took a lot of revving to get it through co emissions. I fitted a brand new coolant sensor for the MOT previous to this one. Until now it has been ok on petrol @40mpg a bit more on long hauls. i am monitoring the fuel consumption at the moment though as it seems to have gone down but it could just be a mistake by me so time will tell.
Sorry all of my post hasn't showed. I did say that it failed the first test on CO at something like 0.35. In 2006 it failed CO with a reading of 0.51. I am sure that there is nothing fundamentally wrong with it but for some reason the CO readings can vary by a lot.
Is there more than one coolant temp sensor?