06 2.0 Clicking sound in tight manoeuvres at slow - IanRedA4
For a few months now I have been getting a 'clicking' sound when I execute tight turns left or right at v.low speed (walking speed). I took the car to the local independent place I usually use & the mechanic there took a look & said he could see the car 'lifting' at the front when these clicks occur. He didn't know what it was & went with me to the local main dealer - where I got the car, 3 years ago - because he said the chap in the maint dept was a mate of his, & the message I got back was that "it was ok - nothing wrong - something to do with ltd slip differential" & that "I should try fitting Continental tyres". This is ok as far as it goes but I'm not really any the wiser - I haven't changed the make of the tyres since I got the car; I may have replaced a couple but I've put the same tyre back on - Dunlop, I think. So I'm now confused as to how it can be 'ok' if it didn't occur during the first 2.5 years I had the car? I can't believe that there isn't actually a real fault of some kind. Would it be better to spend (£250??) on 2 'Continental' tyres at the front & hope that it isn't money down the drain, or just bite the bullet & go back to the main dealer & ask them if there might not be a slight possibility that they are wrong? My personal mechanical knowledge is pretty much nil, so any advice that anyone could offer would be very much appreciated, thanks!! For information - my A4 is an Avant quattro; I couldn't add that the 'make/model' section because it didn't appear to be available as a selection option.
06 2.0 Clicking sound in tight manoeuvres at slow - Peter D
LSD no not click but can cause uneven loan when cornering slowly and lift the suspension. However my first though would be CV joint. Does it do then turning laft and right of more on one particular direction. What mileage is on the car. Regards Peter
Thanks for replying. No, it doesn't seem to be worse on any one particular side. The car has done 19K. Maybe 'click' wasn't the best description - it's maybe more of a 'crunch'. It doesn't sound healthy, - it's only at really low speeds & with the steering on more-or-less full lock.
06 2.0 Clicking sound in tight manoeuvres at slow - Peter D
Does it make the noise once or repeatedly. I suggest you post this in the appropriate section on www.vwaudiforum.co.uk Regards Peter
It does it repeatedly - the tighter the manoeuvre the worse it is. Thanks for the tip about the audi website - I wasn't aware there was one so I may as well give it a try.
06 2.0 Clicking sound in tight manoeuvres at slow - WorkshopTech
Yea, if its got LSD then they can make a judder and bit of noise at low speed and tight angles.