Very high profile tyres - gordonbennet
Brand new Corsa today, looked different, slightly better IMO, and i realised what the difference was, it was on proper old fashioned high profile tyres with steel wheels...haven't seen 70 aspect tyres on a new car for ages.

These were 185/70 x 14 Continentals, really high sidewalls that must have plenty of give for coping the third world bodged up roads increasingly common here, certainly rode up the decks smoothly where some cars will shake your fillings out.
I would imagine they'd be quiet too.

I wonder if we might see other makers following this very sensible trend.
Very high profile tyres - Lygonos
Standard profiles used to be 80/82 aspect.

70 is for sports cars!
Very high profile tyres - gordonbennet
70 is for sports cars!

Showing your age now L..;) i'm sure some vans have 70 series but don't recall seeing cars with such relatively high aspect for years.
Very high profile tyres - primeradriver
Base model Hyundai Accents came with 175/70R13 tyres at one point. Comfortable and dirt-cheap. Good in the snow as well as I recall.

Edited by primeradriver on 29/01/2010 at 21:16

Very high profile tyres - tyro
That's excellent news, and I hope it is a sign that the tide is turning. Interestingly enough, there are a few motoring correspondents who regularly criticise the optional low profile tyres, and express a preference for the standard ones, so I would expect manufacturers to take note. (However it's usually a preference for 50 profiles over 45s, or something like that.)

I'd be interested to know how many new cars one can get in this country with 70 profile tyres. My Berlingo, purchased in 2002 had 70s, and I don't think there was even the option of getting anything else. 65s are standard on the new Berlingo, which isn't too bad in this day and age, but I'm sure 70 would be better.

Very high profile tyres - Bill Payer
I think 70 profile is unusual these days - we have a Colt and an Ibiza on 14" wheels and I'm pretty sure they're both 65 profile.

One issue I've become aware of on our new Jazz with 185/55/16 tyres is that there are very few suppliers of that size tyre.
Very high profile tyres - dimdip
205/70s on the older Forester II non-turbo. Not sure what's on the newer one, but will check tomorrow...
Very high profile tyres - bathtub tom
>>These were 185/70 x 14

I remember the first time I came across that size on an old land crab.

I thought these are damn heavy.

More used to 155 x 13.
Very high profile tyres - bell boy
im a 185/70/14 fan
always have been
comfort and grip
surprised no one mentioned the ambassador/princess connection though :-)
Very high profile tyres - bathtub tom
>>surprised no one mentioned the ambassador/princess connection though :-)

Oh dear bb.

Perhaps I've got older memories. ;>)
Very high profile tyres - Lygonos
My old Princess 1700 had 185/70x13s. Seem to recall on 4.5" wide rims - looked like the tyres were far too wide for them!
Very high profile tyres - Dave N
All of mine have 70(+) profile.

165/70
285/75
245/75
Very high profile tyres - tyro
What cars are those, Dave N?
Very high profile tyres - Dave N
'00 Felicia
'93 80 series Landcruiser
'08 Isuzu D-Max
Very high profile tyres - bell boy
My old Princess 1700 had 185/70x13s. Seem to recall on 4.5" wide rims - looked
like the tyres were far too wide for them!

>>>>>>thy memory plays thee tricks
all these had 14 inch or runflat in some cases but not for long
Very high profile tyres - dimdip
Non-turbo Forester III is on 215/65, so although lower profile than the old model, also wider so there's still virtually the same amount of cushioning