Just go right round the roundabout... Pleeease! - b308
Came up to the top of a hill locally on a dual carriageway where there's a roundabout, road splits into two main roads, one goes right and other goes straight on... right hand lane goes right, left straight one... its well signposted both by roads signs and markings on the tarmac...

So we got to within about 50 yards of the top and my (right hand lane) stopped for about a minute whilst some unobservant driver tried (not very successfully) to force their way into the left hand lane to go straight on...

Now I know we all make mistakes, especially where we don't know the area (giving them the benefit of the doubt here), but why on earth can't people just carry on up to the roundabout and just do a full circuit on it instead of annoying the rest of us by either forcing themselves into another lane and delaying everyone...

Whatever happenned to common sense?!
Just go right round the roundabout... Pleeease! - Badwolf
I've often wondered this. The same sort of person will do a three-point turn in a dangerous place rather than do a 'left, left, left, right' (IYSWIM) round the block to get them back on track.

I reckon it's all a part of the whole "well, my life is more important than anything else so sod the rest of you" approach that, sadly, is all too common these days.

Common sense has gone on a long, extended holiday with its close friends courtesy and consideration...
Just go right round the roundabout... Pleeease! - Armstrong Sid
Whatever happenned to common sense?!

On a similar theme...

A roundabout I regularly use has two lanes going into it, the outer one for turning right and the inner one for straight ahead and left. I need to go left.

Naturally the inner lane (left and straight ahead) has more traffic waiting to enter the roundabout. But the outer (turning right) is much emptier so I go into that lane, go right round the roundabout, and make my left turn much faster than if I'd sat in the "correct" lane.

And I haven't broken any rules or upset anyone.
so I go into that lane go right round the roundabout and make my left turn much faster >> than if I'd sat in the "correct" lane.

I wouldn't bank on that, Sid. If I remember correctly, there was a thread on here a while ago where several people who adopt your method (quite legitimately, in my opinion for what it's worth) were effectively tarred and feathered. Caused quite a rumpus.
I'm sure it might upset some people if they could see me do it, but it's a very big roundabout with trees in the middle so they can't see me doing it (unless they memorise the car re-appearing)
I used to do exactly that at the very busy Kew roundabout in Southport. It was sometimes the only way to keep to time when I was unlucky enough to be rostered to drive a bus on August Bank Holiday Monday.

I did once have someone in the 'turn left' lane who must have clocked what I was up to and, as I came round the roundabout ready to break my orbit simply pulled out in front of me.I had to anchor on, which displeased one of my passengers who, incidentally, was built like a brick out-house. When we got caught in the inevitable Bank Holiday traffic jam a little further up the road, this passenger requested that I open the doors. He then got off the bus and gave the offending driver a right old piece of his mind. He got back on to the bus to a round of applause - me included!
Just go right round the roundabout... Pleeease! - Alanovich
I'm sure it might upset some people if they could see me do it but
it's a very big roundabout with trees in the middle so they can't see me
doing it (unless they memorise the car re-appearing)

Translation: bad manners are OK if you think you can get away with it.
Just go right round the roundabout... Pleeease! - FotheringtonThomas

Yes you have.
Just go right round the roundabout... Pleeease! - Dynamic Dave
>> And I haven't broken any rules or upset anyone.
Yes you have.

Agreed.

www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycod...8

>> >> And I haven't broken any rules or upset anyone.
>>
>> Yes you have.
Agreed.

Just out of interest please point me to the particular section saying that its illegal to do a full circuit on a roundabout.

What I'm suggesting that driver do is just that, though for a different reason, and as far as I can see there is nothing in the HC to prevent someone doing it...

The only time I'd agree that it would be wrong is if the exit was blocked and you ended up actually stopped on the roundabout and blocking other traffic which as far as I could see whould be entering a junction without checking that your exit is clear and therefore wrong...

Edited by b308 on 29/01/2010 at 12:57

Just out of interest please point me to the particular section saying that its illegal
to do a full circuit on a roundabout.

"When taking the first exit to the left, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

. signal left and approach in the left-hand lane
. keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave"

The reference "full circle" means exiting the roundabout you entered it from, NOT going past that exit onto the next one.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/01/2010 at 13:01

SQ
Just out of interest please point me to the particular section saying that its illegal

Read the section. It's simply queue-jumping, which is rudeness, and upsets people.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/01/2010 at 13:02

There is nothing to say that you can't do full or more circuits on a roundabot in the HC so its not actually illegal, just rude... and in the circumstances I outlined in the OP the most common sonse approach to a difficult situation and likely to wind less people up.

As I said sometimes a common sense approach is needed...

Like you, there was a frequent offender who did this on a roundabout I use coming home from work. Stupidly for him, he was in a van with his company's name and telephone number on the sides and rear. One quick phone call to his employer soon put paid to his queue jumping.
Just go right round the roundabout... Pleeease! - Old Navy
For the same reason people dive from lane 3 to a slip road rather than miss a junction and go on to the next one. Brain dead, can't plan ahead further ahead than their windscreen wipers.
Just go right round the roundabout... Pleeease! - shara
Further to the round a bout theme. What I found annoying is when you get to a roundabout and no one seems to know who to give way to! I was behind a car at a roundabout yesterday which was giving way to to the car to its right which was giving way to the car to its right etc. Somebody please go!
Just go right round the roundabout... Pleeease! - DP
Same mentality as people who come off motorway slips and then change their minds and swerve back out into lane 1 at the last minute. In most cases, they could simply negotiate the slip road, go straight over the roundabout at the end, and rejoin the motorway at the other side of the junction.

I've sometimes do a "full lap" deliberately of a local roundabout which is notorious for a bunged up left hand approach lane, and an always deserted right hand lane. Approach in the right hand lane, signal right, go all the way round, and use my chosen exit as I would normally. Saves minutes and doesn't inconvenience / endanger / carve up anyone.

Armstrong Sid beat me to it! :-)

Edited by DP on 29/01/2010 at 12:15

Just go right round the roundabout... Pleeease! - Old Navy
I've sometimes do a "full lap" deliberately of a local roundabout which is notorious for
a bunged up left hand approach lane and an always deserted right hand lane.

We had one of those, spoilsports turned it into a flyover!
I've sometimes do a "full lap" deliberately of a local roundabout which is notorious for
a bunged up left hand approach lane and an always deserted right hand lane.

Queue jumping. Booooo. You wouldn't do it in Waitrose/Tescos/Lidl.

If everyone did it, the right lane would be bunged up. There's a lot of traffic on the roads, it would help everyone if we all drove with the same manners and consideration for others we use when we're not in a getaway car and there's a risk of a punch in the face.
Saves minutes

Get out of bed on time. If you're late, it's still no reason to be rude.
If everyone did it the right lane would be bunged up.

Yes but then the left lane would be emptier and I'd use that one.
And if everyone did that the left lane would be bunged up, and so it goes.

The lane you need has traffic in it? Big deal. There are other people using the road, some of them are in front of you. Get on with it.
Oh no , here we go again.....! ;-)

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/01/2010 at 13:03

Just go right round the roundabout... Pleeease! - Sofa Spud
Another tip for complex large roundabouts - especially those with traffic lights on, or gyratory systems, if you find you're not sure which lane to be in - choose the right-hand one then you can go round the roundabout once or even twice until you're sure which exit you need and which lane you need to get into to take that exit
Just go right round the roundabout... Pleeease! - Mick Snutz
The roundabout where the M11 and A120 meet in Essex is a bit like that . 4 or 5 lanes with traffic lights on each branch. You follow the sign written in 12 foot long paint on the tarmac for two thirds of the route only to suddenly find your lane has vanished or can only take you to Colchester when you want to go straight on. You then have to drive it like you stole it to get in front of the cars on your left or otherwise spend half an hour doing the whole darn thing again.
>> Queue jumping. Booooo. You wouldn't do it in Waitrose/Tescos/Lidl.

'Course I would. If there were two queues in Tesco, one with twenty people waiting and one with two people, I join the shorter queue. I'm still obtaining the same objective as those in the longer queue, just legitimately obtaining it more quickly.
I'm sorry, but by going round the roundabout you're barging in to the the only legitimate queue. What you have described is perfectly all right in the supermarket but doesn't apply when there's only one queue. If there's only one checkout open, you don't walk round the closed one and approach the cashier from the other direction.

I do, however agree that in the example highlighted in the OP, that if someone has mistakenly taken the right hand lane, then perhps they'd be better off going around than cutting someone, who is in the correct lane, up.
Just go right round the roundabout... Pleeease! - CraigP
You NEED a percentage of queue jumpers and general chancers. They refocus the minds of dilly-dally-ers.

Nothing gets a "floater" nailing it to the boards like someone who just jumped the queue.

Sad, but true.

It's not rude. If I'm standing in a queue in Tesco's and someone walks up to the near empty till next to me and gets served before me, who's fault is that?
Just go right round the roundabout... Pleeease! - old crocks
But if you are tenth in the queue and the adjacent till opens, do you rush to it elbowing others out of the way or do you hold back allowing those in front of you to realise what has happened and move over in front of you?
Well said, oc.
But if you are tenth in the queue and the adjacent till opens do you
rush to it elbowing others out of the way or do you hold back allowing
those in front of you to realise what has happened and move over in front
of you?

This is a completely different scenario. The right hand lane to the roundabout is already open and empty when I approach. The people in the queue in the left hand lane are aware of this before I am, given they are sitting in the queue already, and are choosing not to use it.

If I approach two supermarket checkouts, one with a queue of ten people and one with a queue of two, I am certainly not going to stand in the queue of ten in case it offends any of those people when I get served quicker by joining the queue of two.

Groan. They're (choosing to be) in the left lane becasue the highway code says they should be. Why doesn't it apply to you?
Groan. They're (choosing to be) in the left lane becasue the highway code says they
should be. Why doesn't it apply to you?

Do you drive to the letter of the Highway Code?
Do you drive to the letter of the Highway Code?

Not many can, but the overwhelming majority observe the spirit of it - quite apart from being well-mannered, and having the right of it.
DP, as I said, you can only use the Tesco analogy if there's only one checkout open (which is actually the case a lot of the time in Lidl and Aldi). You simply wouldn't do it if there's only one checkout queue. It's done in cars becasue the miscreant knows they won't get thumped.
DP as I said you can only use the Tesco analogy if there's only one
checkout open (which is actually the case a lot of the time in Lidl and
Aldi). You simply wouldn't do it if there's only one checkout queue. It's done in
cars becasue the miscreant knows they won't get thumped.

But that surely is the OP's original point. People who get in a lane to turn right, join the roundabout at the inside lane, then barge their way out before their chosen exit and carve someone up. That would of course annoy me. As would someone driving up the wrong side of the road to jump to the front of a single lane queue. If it's two lanes, and the car approaches the roundabout correctly, negotiates it correctly, and exits it correctly, I genuinely don't see what the big issue is.

Edited by DP on 29/01/2010 at 13:49

The OP is about people being in the right lane, mistakenly, then barging left. I have said I agree that, under those circumstances, the mistkaen driver may be better advised to go around the roundabout than barge in. For safety reasons more than anything.

What I (and others) object to is those who have been waving the flag for, when there is a queue in the left lane, deliberately using the right lane, going round the roundabout and getting in front of the drivers who have been waiting their turn patiently. Purley to speed their own journey at the expense of others. Which is what you seem to have been saying.
Just go right round the roundabout... Pleeease! - Andy P
What I find annoying are those people who seem to think there are no lanes on a roundabout so they're free to wander across at will.

There's a roundabout near where I live - 4 exits, approach on a dual carriageway. First two exits are single lane roads, third is a dual carriageway and the last another single lane - the one I'm aiming for,

So, approach said roundabout in the outside lane, indicating right. Get on the roundabout and what happens? Driver in left lane, heading straight on, decides to pull across in front without indicating. Grrrrrr.....
Just go right round the roundabout... Pleeease! - Pugugly
DP - can you check your mail ?
All this waffle about queueing in Tesco is meaningless. Going 270 degrees around a roundabout is quite ill-mannered, and against the HC recommendations, and that's that.
Just go right round the roundabout... Pleeease! - movilogo
For simple roundabouts, yes, it makes perfect sense to do 360 degree turn using RH lane.

However, for complex roundabouts with several signals (eg. crossing between M1 end and A406 North Circular Road) making 360 turn will take ages!
Just go right round the roundabout... Pleeease! - bathtub tom
Fol-de-rol.

That's my only contribution to this thread.
Just go right round the roundabout... Pleeease! - Cliff Pope
If you are not sure which turn you need it makes much more sense to go round again, or several times, rather than picking an exit that turns out to be wrong.
Going 270 degrees around a roundabout

I think you mean 450 degrees. Going 270 degrees will only take you ¾ of the way around the roundabout. 90 degrees will be the 1st exit, 180 the 2nd, etc.