Cold starting - serious misfire & blue smoke - twotonecarman
Our Land Rover Freelander 2 GS Td4-e, registered November 2009 has covered less than 2000 miles and has suffered cold start problems since new. This comprises a serious misfire on 1 or more cylinders, followed by clouds of blue smoke and continuing misfire for up to 10 minutes. We find this to be totally unacceptable and as such we gave a well known LR dealer the opportunity to fix or replace the vehicle. After having the vehicle for 7 days and admitting that it was a fault they were unable to even identify the cause. We therefore escalated to a rejection of the vehicle, as a repair was apparently impossible.

Anyone with an F2, or considering purchasing one, will be interested in the following comments from the dealer and Land Rover. I quote from them "Having spoken to LR UK, they are of the opinion that this is a characteristic of the vehicle - because their diagnostic tool did not detect a fault." Isn't a characteristic something common to all vehicles of a type? Again, I quote from them "They have no other reports of similar symptoms." So you can't have it both ways - is it a 'characteristic' or not?! They are using this tack because a legal precedent was set with a rejected Audi, where pulling to the left was deemed to be a 'characteristic' of that car... (see rejection of a vehicle on Honest John).

Any help gratefully received. Why should the unwitting public be subjected to such contemptible treatment by the motor manufacturers and retailers? If it had been a TV we'd be watching a replacement set by now!

References to the dealer's details removed in accordance with T&C

Edited by Pugugly on 27/01/2010 at 19:11

Cold starting - serious misfire & blue smoke - WorkshopTech
I agree its absolutely terrible, but sadly not unusual for LR in my experience.
Characteristic here is just another word for design fault. Anyway I dont believe its not an real fault.
Cold starting - serious misfire & blue smoke - sandy56
IF LR had collected the car, gave you a loaner and then made every effort to fix it, and then if they failed, offered a new replacement vehicle, you would have been quite happy and impressed with the service by a world leader of car manufacture and design.
Instead we all know that if we get problems with a LR vehicle we can expect similar treatment.