04 1.8 Oil Warning Light - john w 2009
Hi All

Im completely green about cars, know very little about them.

I have a C-Max 04 and its been relatively reliable. The other day i was driving it and randomly the oil light came on. I was near a petrol station so i pulled over to check it and the level was lowish...but not below the minimum. So I bought some oil and topped up. Light stayed on. I was near home and figured drivingdown the hill wouldnt hurt so drove it to a mechanics.

The mechanic asked if it had ever had an oil change (its done 60,000) and to my knowledge it had not, so he changed the oil and the filter, ran it and said the light flickered off. I paid the 60 or so quid and drove it away no problems. Never used them before though as our regular is on holiday.

Anyway today driving it it was fine until after about 15 mins the light began to flash on and off irreggularly but gradually becoming on more than off until permanently on. Pulled over turned engine off waited 2-3 mins restarted and was off for the rest of the journey...apart from ignition.

Tonight coming home, it was on as soon as I turned the engine on. Didnt go off. Went to try it a few mins ago and drove it round the block, light didnt come on (except ignition seqence).

I have noticed no performance/sound changes only thing I notice is the car feels like it vibrates more, but that may just be me being paranoid driving with no radio or heaters on to see if I can hear anything so it could be normal.

I have no idea what this could be, isit likely to be an electrical problem or is it more of the engine is going to go pop variety??
04 1.8 Oil Warning Light - alison4chris
Did you find out what the problem was
04 1.8 Oil Warning Light - Oli rag

I would think the problem was lack of regular oil changes!

04 1.8 Oil Warning Light - hardway

Sorry but your lack of knowledge has most certainly killed the engine.

And the damage done is all internal where you can't see the evidence,

but most likely you'll hear it soon enough.