09 1.4 Starting problems - kellyma20
I bought a new fiesta in June of last year. Two months later it started struggling to start. Took it to garage twice and they found no problem.
This morning car would not start. Just turning over and not even trying to start. On third attempt I tried depressing the accelerator and it tried to start. On fourth attempt (whilst depressing accelrator slightly) it started. After a few seconds I switched it off and started it again. (It did start) It had low revs (below 1000 rpm, 500 rpm I think) then creeped up to cold idle revs of 1200 rpm. Does anyone have the an answer as to what this is. Its booked into the garage for Wednesday but would like an idea of what this could be so they can't fob me off. I think it could be the starter motor)
Any help much appreciated
09 1.4 Starting problems - WorkshopTech
It could be lots of things, but if the engine is being spun over then its not the starter motor thats at fault.
Could be an immobilizer fault, engine coolant temp sensor, throttle body etc etc - many possibilities, best get some diag gear hooked up to it and leave it with them so they can do a few cold starts.
Ok thanks.
Its just worrying me because the car is only 6 months old so really shouldn't be doing this (but then again if a part is gonna go its gonna go regardless of age)
Im not very mechanically minded when it comes to cars and I don't want to fobbed off by them which they have done before
09 1.4 Starting problems - 547HEW
Petrol or Diesel? If petrol, might just be idle speed control valve sticking due to use of supermarket fuel. Its still in Warranty, so a Ford dealer should sort it out succesfully.
09 1.4 Starting problems - WorkshopTech
If petrol might just be idle speed control valve sticking due to
use of supermarket fuel.

!? Given that the ISCV is upstream of the injectors that would be quite an achievement!
It is a petrol.

I have had the car checked - they could find no problem but a cal was available for pcm and was downloaded.
Not sure what that means. Any ideas?
Fingers crossed that has sorted it. It sounds like it is running better (quieter).
09 1.4 Starting problems - Rattle
The powertrain control module (pcm) is the part of the engines computer which controls the engine itself. What the dealer did would be update the software which controls it. Unless all Fiestas suffered from this due to a software bug I can't see how its fixed in the long term.
09 1.4 Starting problems - 547HEW
Oh dear, red face dept indeed!! Nicely put , WT , if I may say so.
09 1.4 Starting problems - Englishbullterrier
So it's still under warranty then ??...........ebt
It started ok this morning. It did give a little stutter but apart from that it was ok.
Don't know what to do. Do I take it back again for a fourth time or wait until it doesnt start again. It doesnt register a fault code so they can't seem to find the problem.
Car still struggling to start.
Tries to start but won't do so properly until accelerator is pressed. It then struggles to gain revs to cold temp idle speed. (between 1200 - 1300 rpm).
Please help - getting sick of ford telling me nothing is wrong when there obviously is
09 1.4 Starting problems - Nobbsy

hello,

Did you manage to find out what was wrong with your car, i am having exactly the same problem and its driving me NUtS!

09 1.4 Starting problems - maria1

I have just bought a new ford fiesta 2010 1.6petrol. It starts fine first thing in the morning but then if I leave it for an hour or so and go to start it, it sort of stutters until I press the accelerator. It feels really weak and short of power. It has been with Dagenham Motors all day and they have put it on the computer and apparently started it throughout the day and cannot find anything wrong with it. This is driving me mad as my old fiesta which was 14 years old never ever failed. At least I have 3 years in which it can get worse but I would rather sort it out now.

09 1.4 Starting problems - maria1

Have any of you had any luck in resolving your problems? Mine is struggling to start with extreme weather conditions - either very cold or hot days. I even had to call AA out last week in cold weather because the car wouldn't start and was told the engine had flooded. Dagenham Motors said this is impossible for a new car to flood. In hot weather, the car just manages to start but the revs sit at zero until I press accelerator pedal. Having been driving Fords for over 25 years I have never had problems with cars or Fords starting. My car has been into Dagenham Motors 3 times for problems with starting and each time they say they cannot find anything wrong. Please help if you have any ideas.

09 1.4 Starting problems - bez15

Have you guys had any luck with resolving this problem as stated in the original message. I know i am about 7 years too late but non the less i have over the last 6 months been dealing with exactly the same issues. The car struggles to start, the motor turns but it takes a few attemts before it runs and no faults are shown when diagnostics are done.

This is an extremely anoying ongoing issue and would really appreciate any advice. As we all know our cars are basically our livelyhood.

Kindest regards