Bent wheel ! - cheddar

I have had the FocuST for three months and nearly 7k miles now, I have noticed a slight wobble through the steering wheel at 75mph ish and a slight "pattering" at motorway speeds on a smooth surface.

I got around to having the wheels balanced and a four wheel alignment done last week by a very well renown tyre fitter/wholesaler, at the same time the rear wheels were put on the front after which the "pattering" became more pronounced and clearly eminating from the NSF corner.

I considered it must be tyre related so took it in to have both front (ex rear) tyres replaced, they only had a few 000 miles left in them anyway. The "cant get fitter" (though could be quicker;-) ) guys called me over to the balancing machine to show me that the alloy wheel that had been on the NSF (NSR before that) is not running true.

I guess the wheel must have been kerbed or potholed by the previous driver so now I need a new wheel.

Though why didnt the very well renown tyre fitter/wholesaler notice the distorted wheel when apparently balancing the wheels to a very precise degree?

Bent wheel ! - maltrap
If he got it wrong the first time how do you know he got it right this time?

Have you put the spare on in place of the suspect one?
Bent wheel ! - jc2
I'd rather use an experienced fitter with cheap equipment than a kid with a computer!!
Bent wheel ! - ifithelps
Using my licence to interfere, I supervised a young lady giving a jump...start (don't get excited)...to another driver at a service area over Christmas.

She had a Clio with steel wheels, the front nearside rim of which was so badly bent I was surprised the tyre was still holding pressure.

"Oh," she said. "I did that months ago."

I advised her that a competent tyre place could straighten the rim, probably at little cost.

Hope she got it done, but I doubt it.

Edited by ifithelps on 24/01/2010 at 10:34

Bent wheel ! - cheddar
If he got it wrong the first time how do you know he got it
right this time?

Two different places.

Have you put the spare on in place of the suspect one?

>>

No spare, it is only slightly out and the advice is that it is safe.

Edited by cheddar on 24/01/2010 at 10:36

Bent wheel ! - oldgit
A mate of mine was driving home on the A31 last week in the dark, in his 3 year old BMW 5 series, when he struck a large pothole on/near a roundabout near Farnham, Surrey.
He has since discovered that he had two buckled alloys on the nearside and BMW have had to replace them at a cost of about £450 the pair if I have my facts right. That money seems cheap to me for two replacement alloy wheels, however.
He is now contacting the local council concerned and hopes to recover some of his costs caused through the disgusting state of Surrey's roads.
Bent wheel ! - corax
in his 3 year old BMW 5 series
discovered that he had two buckled alloys

I think there was a report on watchdog about the alloys on these particular models being prone to buckling/cracking. Although BMW denied there was a problem...
Bent wheel ! - maz64
At least one thread on the BMW issue eg.
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=75339&...f

Edited by Focus {P} on 24/01/2010 at 13:49

Bent wheel ! - Pica
I was told much the same as the OP regarding a buckled wheel and took it to a wheel refurb wizard and he put it on his machine, balanced the wheel properly; fitted it to the car and it was fine. Cost = £15

The Wheel guy said that this happens to him all the time as they young guys at the tyre garages are not trained properly. He told me in future to buy the tyres and take them to him and he will fit and balance the wheels for me.
Bent wheel ! - cheddar
I was told much the same as the OP regarding a buckled wheel and took
it to a wheel refurb wizard and he put it on his machine balanced the
wheel properly; >>

No, it is buckled, I could see the run out myself.
Bent wheel ! - bell boy
a nice smack with a rubber hammer can often unbuckle an alloy if you know hot to hit it right
edit hot is the new how :-(

Edited by bell boy on 24/01/2010 at 20:14

Bent wheel ! - cheddar

New wheel fitted today, the dealer took the tyre off and the put the wheel on the balancer, the outside rim is perfect though the inner rim is oval.

In fact I have the old wheel in my garage, might make a fancy hose reel out of it.
Bent wheel ! - Pugugly
Did you have to pay - nice to see that the tyre fitters were right despite teeth sucking from some.
Bent wheel ! - cheddar
Did you have to pay - >>

It's a lease car, and the lease company count it as accident damage rather than service and repair. Therefore I have to make the case that it was like that when I got the car however I reported the slight vibration shortly after getting it so I dont think they can blame me for it.

Bent wheel ! - rtj70
Arguing the point on lease cars can be interesting. For the second time my Mazda6 diesel has it's oil above full (DPF! don't discuss here!!!!). It would be fine for a while longer and lease company says so.... confirm that any problems and they admit responsibility and an oil change is needed.

Of course this oil change (and cheddar's wheel) is billed to the employer. Lease company does not pay. Last car I had via the same lease company lost them plenty ;-)
Bent wheel ! - macavity
You think your wheel is bent look at these
www.alloywheelrepairs.net/WheelRepair.html