Privacy Windows - grumpyscot
I'm in the middle of searching out a new car - and quite fancy especially the new CRV or perhaps (less enthusiastic) the X-Trail. But on any model other than the base, you get these "privacy" windows - i.e. black-outs.

OK, I'm of the older generation (about to retire) but I absolutely hate these black windows - they make the vehicle look like a chav or drug dealers paradise. And the inside gets just so gloomy.

There's not even an option to have standard windows fitted. So it looks like I'm stuck with a base model, no chance of leather seats or any other standard features like better stereos or alarm systems that the next model up gets.

Frustrated? Yes!
Privacy Windows - Manatee
I'm indifferent to blackout windows (I think, never had them) though averse to paying for them, but it's the way of Honda - I'd considered replacing my CRV II with a III but I can't get the leather seats without a massive price hike which includes a sat nav I don't want.

The one in my existing CRV that I bought in 2005 has maps that were out of date when I got it (replacement maps £180, less out of date) and is knocked into a cocked hat by a £100 Tomtom.
Privacy Windows - M.M
Never been a fan of a 4WD with very black rearmost windows.

Funnily enough though I have them now on my new Citroen C5 Tourer. The privacy glass is standard on all Tourer models regardless of trim.

Thankfully the windscreen/front windows have quite a strong tint and the rear privacy tint isn't anywhere near the pimp black you often see so there isn't such a huge contrast.

And... sadly... I have to admit I think it suits the car when it's in a dark colour like mine (metallic black).

I noticed on lighter colours like silver the privacy glass stands out too much and draws attention.
Privacy Windows - L'escargot
They'll only be fitted as standard as long as people buy the cars. Do your bit to stop them being standard fitting by buying a different make.
Privacy Windows - pda
There's some useful information regarding tinted windows here

tinyurl.com/y8zolg6

It doesn't really apply in your siuation GS but I do know that VOSA have started to enforce this.

Pat
Privacy Windows - Armstrong Sid
From the manufacturers point of view, what's the point of Drug Dealers' Glass? I assume they perceive it as some kind of luxury item which adds value and class to the vehicle. How did we ever manage to do without it in the past? Who decided that it was a desirable item which all cars should have in the future?
Privacy Windows - Pugugly
My Skoda Roomster had them as standard - this had two effects 1. It mitigated the "plainness" of the car 2. It kept the load area cooler than the rest of the car and I was happier to leave my dog there, I doubt whether anybody mistook me for a drug dealer in it though ! The CRV has them effect 2 is still valid they don't really worry me in any other respect.
Privacy Windows - Andrew-T
They'll only be fitted as standard as long as people buy the cars.

Chicken and egg, surely? It's also a means of justifying a price when punters check the tick-boxes on their specification sheets. When competitors' sales look like a threat, every maker feels pressured to copy.

It used to be the case that when a new model entered the market (I mean genuinely new, not a facelift) the spec was fairly sparse, to allow room for visible improvements later on. Base models could be pretty basic (I am thinking of the Pug 205 CJ, which was a poor person's trendy cabrio, but came with limited dashboard and steering-column controls). When a facelift appeared, one or two less 'essential' extras could disappear, possibly to reappear later on.

Heavily tinted windows may be just a fad ... like 4x4s. We can start crowing again now the snow has vanished (at least here).
Privacy Windows - Bill Payer
new CRV .....you get these "privacy" windows - i.e. black-outs.

Our new Honda Jazz has them. The kids think it's hilarious. Looks ridiculous from the outside, although from inside it's not really noticeable.
Privacy Windows - LikedDrivingOnce
The OP is a man after my own heart! I am frustrated by this catch-22 situation, whereby you can only get some features if you buy a top-of-the range model. At the same time, if you DO buy this model than you have to have features such as dark glass and poor SatNav that you don't want to pay for.

I fear that this is getting more common, and manufacturers see this as a money spinner.

P.S. Another example of this catch-22 situation is the Passat CC. Nice car, but I'd only want the top-of-the range version and that only comes with the dark glass.
Privacy Windows - Bill Payer
I fear that this is getting more common and manufacturers see this as a money
spinner.

Not sure it's a money spinner - the better equipped cars are usually way better value than the BMW or Mercedes approach of a failry basic car and then adding loads of extras.
Even my fairly humble C Class has £7K worth of options (I bought it used).
Privacy Windows - daveyjp
When it's pitch black and throwing it down the last thing I consider doing before reversing is put sunglasses on as I know I won't be able to see out of the rear door windows.

Tinting rear glass has exactly the same effect. It turns the car into a van and my one week with an A3 with this stuff made my mind up that I never want it.

Privacy Windows - Dr Rubber
I always pay for it to be fitted if its not standard - it keeps the kids much cooler in the back
Joe
Privacy Windows - Brian Tryzers
I'm with Davey on this one: dark glass ruins the rearward visibility. It's not just for reversing; I look through the rear side-window before changing lanes, and that takes a lot longer if my eyes have to adjust to a dimmer view. (Admittedly, if there's anything there it's probably an Audi, with lights bright enough to dazzle through solid steel, but you get my point.)

As I've mentioned here before, that was our principal reason for choosing a Verso T3 instead of an SR. Fortunately, there's not much else to distinguish them spec-wise - although as it turns out, the SR's tailgate-top plastic spoiler would have precluded attaching the towball bike carrier we subsequently bought, so that's another bit of cosmetic junk we're better off without.
Privacy Windows - kithmo
It turns the car into a van

Exactly, why not just buy a van ?
Keith
Privacy Windows - Waino
I'm with Grumpyscot in that privacy glass looks awful. It is also an 'anti-safety' feature as it reduces the possibility of driver eye to eye contact.

It is a fad that I wouldn't entertain because I tend to keep a car for a long time and in a few years, it will be held in similar esteem to the vinyl roof, the whippy aerial, names on the sunvisor, louvred rear window etc etc.
Privacy Windows - Brian Tryzers
It shouldn't keep drivers from making eye contact, Waino - not if they're driving forwards, anyway. The legal 'privacy' glass we're discussing is aft of the front door pillars. There are strict rules - now being enforced, too, as a teenage cricketer in my club knows to his cost - on the maximum tint that can be applied to the windscreen and front side windows.
Privacy Windows - Waino
It shouldn't keep drivers from making eye contact Waino - not if they're driving forwards anyway. >>

I'm talking about e.g. the eye contact via the mirror between a considerate driver like myself and a following observant motorcyclist - unless, maybe, the rear screen isn't tinted.
Privacy Windows - idle_chatterer
It turns the car into a van

Not in my experience, the factory-fit optional sun-protect glass on my car is graded and is darkest on the rear side windows of the luggage area, it means that you cannot see what's in the load area even with the tonneau cover open whilst from inside the car I can barely detect any difference from standard tinted glass.

Front side windows and windscreen are standard tints too.

Edited by idle_chatterer on 21/01/2010 at 15:52

Privacy Windows - paul2007
Hi

if tastily done, they look great on a top spec car. on the lower specs they do indeed look 'chav'!

On my pre-owned, 6 month old jeep hemi, the fronts were done as well but this is against the law. i had the tint removed by dealer before accepting 4x4. I got pentagon to put a clear secuirty screen on the front door windows.

If you have a mid to large 4x4 or mpv, it is important to get good tints as it keeps the heat out, gives you some secuirty re smash and grab as well as some privacy so potential road rage drivers do not know how many people in your car

Thanks

Pual
A recurring thread this over the years. As a poster, whose identity escapes me, put it ideal for families who don't want to expose their ugly children to outside world or words to that effect. Amazing how privacy glass polarizes people's views - I don't think I could be that wound up about anything. Apart from the Roomie (for the reasons given) I wouldn't be bothered whether it was fitted to a car or not - certainly as some social statement.
Privacy Windows - Stuartli
There seems to be a growing trend in my area for white, rather than black, colouring of vehicle glass and one particular hatchback's owner has created an advertisement on the rear screen, rather than the vehicle's side, with the white as the background.

I don't, as a rule, like white as a car colour, considering it to be "colourless", and even less so when both the vehicle and side and rear glass areas are also this colour.

However, the first new VW Scirocco I saw was in white and I have to confess I was impressed at the time.

Edited by Stuartli on 21/01/2010 at 17:12

Privacy Windows - Old Navy
As a poster whose identity escapes me put
it ideal for families who don't want to expose their ugly children to outside world
or words to that effect.

I may be guilty of that one PU, I have referred to "Ugly kid glass".

Edited by Old Navy on 21/01/2010 at 17:18

Privacy Windows - bell boy
yes it stops you looking at kids picking their noses so im a fan of the tints
Not at all guilty ! Made me laugh at the time !