Which Car? Which engine? - NickS
Hello all,

Further to my post of several months back, SWMBO has now got herself a new job which requires a 50 mile round trip, 4 days a week.

I currently own an '05 Golf 2.0TDI with 77k on the clock, which I intend to give to her to use for her commute, and subsequently run into the ground.

This leaves me with a requirement for another car. Ive always wanted a Volvo C70, and now seems the time to get one. Budget is about £3k, which should get me in a nice Y/51 reg example.

Which engine would you recommend? 2.0T or 2.4T? I have discounted the T5 on account of its tyre shredding power, and the fact that I want this car as a relaxed cruiser.

Also, any other left field suggestions of a similar cars in this genre are greatly received. I have so far considered a BMW 330i and also Saab 9-3 Aero of similar vintage......... but keep coming back to the Volvo.

Which Car? Which engine? - Nickdm
Are you looking for the convertible C70, or the fixed-head coupe (prettier IMHO)? There are a few around in a gorgeous golden bronze colour :-)

The 2.0T engine was a cracker in the Volvo S60 I used to have, and plenty fast enough.
Which Car? Which engine? - NickS
95% it will be the coupe, im not so keen on the looks of the convertible. Im keen on either silver, dark red or the bronze you mentioned. I narrowly missed out on a pristine Y reg, 1 owner 2.4T GT in bronze last week, going for a paltry 2.5k!

Was it the 163 BHP 2.0T you had in your S60? I've read various conflicting reports, some saying it is fine and others labelling it underpowered. Was yours manual or auto?

I guess the best way to find out is to test drive one, but there is not a single C70 for sale within 40 miles of here (Ipswich).