94 1.9 Engine will not turn over - Siesta
Hi All,

My battery recently went flat on my Peugeot 306. It is a relatively new battery so I took it out and charged it. I have put it back in but now when I try to start the car the engine won't turn over. I've tried disconnection and reconnecting the alarm system (under the rear seat behind the driver) but this made no difference.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 18/01/2010 at 21:36

94 1.9 Peugeot 306 Will Not Turn Over - Altea Ego
try reconnecting all the battery terminals.
94 1.9 Peugeot 306 Will Not Turn Over - Siesta
I believe the terminals are connected correctly as all the lights come on etc.
but probably not the big fat red one that goes to the starter solenoid, or the big black one that goes to the body earth.
94 1.9 Peugeot 306 Will Not Turn Over - Peter.N.
Do the lights dim when you try to start it? Is there a clicking noise when you turn the key?
There is a small clicking noise which sounds like it is coming from just behind/below the steering wheel. I haven't tried turning the key with the lights on as yet. Should I do that and report back?
The click that you can hear is probably a relay, yes, just look at the panel or interior lights when you turn the key to the 'start' position. If the lights dim appreciably either the battery is flat or the starter is faulty, if they dont dim there is either no power reaching the starter or its faulty. If you connect a wire fromthe battery + to the small terminal on the starter solonoid, if the starter then turns you have a fault in the supply to the solonoid.
Ok, thanks! I checked if the lights dim when you try to start the car today and the lights on the dashboard do dim slightly but not massively. The interior lights go off completely. So does this mean the problem lies either with the starter or the wiring to the starter?
It could be the big red wire from the battery to to starter solenoid or the black wire to the earth. Have you checked them yet as i suggested above?

Its unlikely to be the starter as it worked ok last time. It could be the battery.
I've had a look and they seem to be ok, nothing obvious out of place. I will have another look tomorrow see if there is anything amiss.

I appreciate all the help by the way!
If the starter is engaging the lights will dim a lot, the slight dimming you have is probably just due to the current the solonoid is drawing, either the starter is faulty or there is no main supply to it, as mentioned in another post, chek that the main feed is connected well both ends, you can check the starter by shorting the two large terminals together with a large screwdriver, not your best one as you are liable to take some metal of it!
94 1.9 Engine will not turn over - dFer
Does your car have an alarm reset/disable button near the steering wheel? It's slightly low down on the right-hand side of the box the steering wheel is mounted on, the printing on it looks a little like:

o)))

If so, give this a try:

Make sure you're outside of the car,

- Lock the car using the key
- Unlock the car using the key
- Enter the car and close the door
- Hold down the button for five seconds (do not release)
- Continuing to hold down the button, turn the key to ignition.

If all goes well, the indicator lights should flash on and off several times - which means the alarm/immobiliser was previously engaged and has now been reset (until you take the battery out again), which should give you the ability to crank the starter again. Make sure that after you've unlocked the car you begin the rest of the steps as soon as possible, there's a time-out of about 30 seconds (or so) for which to do it in.