06 2.0 Diesel DPF and driving modern diesels - sandy56
I was wondering on the best way to avoid having problems with modern diesel D.P.F. They seem to cause no end of expensive problems.
As my next car will probably be a diesel I need some advice.
Looking at 1.6 to 2l diesel- Renault clio, Puegot 207, Ford Focus or similar. I would go for the BMW 318 or 320 D but too expensive for my cash purchase.

I only do about 15k/annum and I think I may be better off with Petrol.

Do they/the car tell you when you NEED to regenerate the DPF, or do you need a regular Italian tune up, which defeats the purpose somewhat.

I was thinking that diesel cars need some sort of exhaust temperature monitoring so you could be sure you were in the "zone" of good? exhaust temperatures.
06 2.0 Diesel DPF and driving modern diesels - gmac
There are different implementations of DPF.

Some cars are more suitable to short stop start driving than others.

We have the 1.6 diesel engine in a C4 Grand Picasso which usually does short runs running little ones around, supermarket shopping, doctors/hospital visits etc...

We have had the car nine months and had no problems yet with clogged filters.

The downside is this system, sometimes referred to as DPF with FAP, uses a diesel additive which needs topping at 36k and 72k in the Citroen and 37.5k and 75k in Ford, four cylinder Volvo's also use this system.
The filter also requires checking and possible replacement at the second fill-up.
Figures of around GBP700 are quoted for replacement filters and GBP90 to GBP100 for refilling the additive and reseting the computer.

The alternative is a DPF system which has no additive and requires extra heat to regenerate the filter usually every 500 miles or so, ideal if you do frequent long motorway journeys. These are usually sealed for life type systems which have no service schedule to speak of but do appear to clog up if only used on short journeys where regeneration is not possible.

15k is probably marginal to justify diesel, it then comes down to personal choice. Do you prefer driving diesel or petrol ?
06 2.0 Diesel DPF and driving modern diesels - craig-pd130

I've run a new Mondeo 2.0 TDCI with DPF for 21,000 miles over two years. 70% of my driving is short runs in urban limits of 5 miles or so. No problems with the DPF.

The Ford system has no warning lights (unlike VAG or Mazda systems) to tell you a regen is needed -- if the ECU thinks a regen is needed, it will initiate one itself.

The one thing I do ensure is to keep revs around the peak torque band (1,750 to 2,250rpm). This means good response when I need it, the engine is running most efficiently (minimal soot) and the exhaust temp is high.

21K miles and 2 years isn't exactly long-term, but the system has proven robust and effective so far.