Slight accident but I'm getting the blame - tayzenator206
I had a small bump with another car the other day and it was as i was takeing a bend but the other driver moved out from being a parked car as i was about to turn the corner and we bumped into each other, this was mainly due to the bad weater conditions and my car slid. I havent said anything about claming liability but the other driver told his insurance that i already have ?

Is there anything i can do and the fact he was on my side of the road work in my favor ?

Thanks for any help if you need more details just ask

Edited by Webmaster on 15/01/2010 at 01:00

Slight accident but im getting the balme - freddy1
if you were on your side of the road , and he crossed the line onto your side

then HE hit YOU

go back and take photos , showing where your car was , and his WHEN HE HIT YOU.

repeat WHEN HE HIT YOU
Slight accident but im getting the balme - tayzenator206
yes he was on my side of the road if u look at a bend with a parked car on it on his side of the road he went around it then into my driving path. but as he came into my side of the road i breaked which caused me to slide into him
i breaked which caused me to slide into him>

WHOs side of the road where you on WHEN HE HIT YOU

(never NEVER ever admit to the accident)

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/01/2010 at 19:28

i was on my side left hand side
then he is wrong for crossing lanes (without indicating) , slmost like driviong without due care and attn to me? , you were driving within the limits (snow inc) and a vehicle pulled in your path.
i like the sound of that i have a form comeing in the post should be like tomorrow and i will have to write down exactly what happened and draw a diagram of were the cars were any tips on the best way to draw it ?
Slight accident but im getting the balme - bathtub tom
Didn't we have this discussion recently.

IIRC someone stated authoritively that it's the right of way of whoever gets to the gap first, regardless of which side of the road.

maybe on a single track road?
i still though that if a vechile is restricting the side of the road your driveing on you have to wait until the road is clear and signal out ?

plus given the weather conditions you would take extra car for a car going down hill as your about to turn to go up the hill ? but then that still shows he cut the corner
Slight accident but im getting the balme - maz64
IIRC someone stated authoritively that it's the right of way of whoever gets to the
gap first regardless of which side of the road.>

If you pull out to go around a line of parked cars when initially clear, then someone previously out of sight comes round the bend in the opposite direction, do you have right of way to continue on the wrong side of the road while they wait (1)? Or are they entitled to make you reverse (2)?

I would have thought (1), in which case the first-come-first-served rule makes sense.

you should not pull over to the other side unless you have a clear view ,

full stop
i was in full view comeing down the road as there nothing restricting the view of the corner so he would have seen me well on my way down the hill and i was at the bottom staring my turn when he was in fount of me this is also very noticeable with the damage that has been done to both of the cars
you should not pull over to the other side unless you have a clear view

But how far does that clear view have to be? If as I suggested there's a bend that you can't see round, you can hope nothing's going to come while you are going past the line of cars, but you can't tell for sure.
Slight accident but im getting the balme - jbif
But how far does that clear view have to be? .... you can hope nothing's going to come while you are going past the line of cars, but you can't tell for sure. >>

rules 163 and 166
www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycod...4

rules 230 and 231
www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycod...9

rules 163 and 166
www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycod...4

Thanks jbif, but that appears to apply to overtaking moving vehicles. What if the vehicle is stationary? If the rule still stands, that would mean either doing a U turn or stopping until enough of the parked cars had moved. Do you think that's what it means?
Do you think that's what it means?

Thinking about it... I think if while overtaking the (stationary) cars any oncoming car that came round the bend had time to stop, that would be safe. So in that situation you would be allowed to 'overtake', even if it might mean a car coming the other way (should it appear) would have to stop.
Slight accident but im getting the balme - Mapmaker
this was mainly due to the bad weater conditions and my car slid

Driving without due care and attention. How many points is that?

You were going too quickly for the circumstances. The Highway Code warns you that in slippery conditions braking distances may be ten times those in normal circumstances.

Assuming a relationship between speed and stopping distance going as the power of two, you therefore need to drive one third as quickly when it is slippery.
i was going at just 4 MPH and the fact he pulled out in frount of me cut my breaking time down causing the car to slide i have a tracker inbuilt into my car which records speed and were i am driveing this shows i was takeing care as i drove down the road as i understood the conditions
Slight accident but im getting the balme - Lud
Was there in fact any damage worth mentioning?

It never ceases to amaze me how people will wrangle over responsibility for a little scrape or dinge that many owners wouldn't even bother to repair. From the OP's somewhat incoherent description it sounds as if this may well be such a case.

And even if it isn't, I don't think the OP needs to be lectured about 'going too fast for the conditions'. There but for the grace of God went everyone over the last couple of weeks. Tchah!
Slight accident but im getting the balme - brum
Accidents reported to insurance company, irregardless of claim or no claim -> increased premium!

Slight accident but im getting the balme - pmh3
>>>>From the OP's somewhat incoherent description <<<<

Lud, I think that you are possibly being a little unfair on the OP - I would have guessed that English was not his first (or native) language. If so, I think it would be wise to find an english speaker to complete the insurance paperwork for him (her).

Edited by smokie on 16/01/2010 at 08:02

Slight accident but im getting the balme - brum
Removed in a tidy up

Edited by smokie on 16/01/2010 at 12:55

Slight accident but im getting the balme - Altea Ego
It has nothing to do with being unable to stop. If you are in motion on the wrong side of the road you are to blame. If you moved onto the wrong side of the road causing someone to have to brake sharply you are in the wrong. Cross the line and you take all the risk that comes with it.