Pressure washers - Dougie68
I've had my first brand new car for 2 weeks now and as the weather has improved it's time to wash it. And boy am I anxious as I don't want to scratch the paintwork. Does everybody go through this with their first new car?!

I think it's now time to ditch the old bucket and sponge and get a pressure washer instead. Which one though? I read the Auto Express review of the Halfords one but it got very average reviews when I looked into it.

Can anyone recommend a decent one and any tips? Should I keep away from engine bay to avoid soaking any electrics?

Many thanks

Doug
Pressure washers - bell boy
one assumes you mean cold water pressure washer?
yes?
well it wont achieve anything then apart from blow rubbish out of the wheelarches
a bucket and sponge cant be beaten,try it with some latex gloves on in this weather,much better for your pinkies
Pressure washers - captain chaos
If you're seriously considering a pressure washer then try this simple test. Go down to your local petrol station and use the jet wash. Don't use the brush, just the lance. When you've done, dry the car off with a chamois leather. It'll be filthy after just one panel.
As bell boy says, a bucket and sponge can't be beaten. Hose off before and after with plenty of water.
Pressure washes are fine for removing crud from a quarry truck chassis and cleaning your patio
Pressure washers - perro
I would say Karcher are amongst the best 'a man can get' I've had mine for 5 years now ...
it's stuck in the garage somewhere - get the bucket out :)
Pressure washers - macavity
If you're seriously considering a pressure washer then try this simple test. Go down to
your local petrol station and .......

SQ

true

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 13/01/2010 at 15:32

Pressure washers - dieselfitter
I wouldn't buy a pressure washer for this. I have a Karcher, but don't use it on the cars - I think it's way too powerful. I use a Hozelok soft brush on the end of a hose, which is pretty quick, and finish with a nice thick, extra large chamois (chammy?). And I don't bother with detergent sticks, as I think the foam makes it difficult to see what I'm doing and the detergent probably removes the wax more quickly than plain water.
Pressure washers - Mick Snutz
whatever you do, dont pressure wash the engine. Water being forced into electrical components and connections isn't a good idea.

Besides, who's going to admire your engine bay?
Pressure washers - J1mbo
On no accounts use a sponge! You'll swirl it to death!! Pressure washers are ideal for applying foam and then rinse off. You can get a decent PW from halfords then get a "snow lance" for it. This will mix a foam/pre wash with the jet and allow you to cover the car in a thick foam. Leave for a couple of minutes, then rinse off.

Use a lambs wool mitt or a "noodle" and a big cleak bucket, use good quality shampoo, DONT use a chamois, use a thick terry towl or similar.

Most jet washes on forcourt use strong TRF and will strip any sort of wax that's on your car, but they are ok for "emergencies".

Good luck!
Pressure washers - mcguyver
I definately advise against using a pressure washer. At the output most operate, you're pushing water past seals and into areas that shouldn't get wet. The manufacturers say that they're safe enough if used carefully, but why take the risk?

The car washing method that served me well over the years is:
Rinse loose dirt off with hose with a spray head on, make sure to clean under the wheel arches etc.
Wash with a good quality wash & wax (I find Volkswagen's own brand very good) using warm water and a mitt or sponge, starting from the roof.
Use a different sponge for below, say, the rubbing strip. Making sure to wash the cills and door edges (basicly anywhere painted in the body colour).
Rinse again.
Chamois off. Keep a bucket of clean water to rinse the chamois frequently.

Pressure washers - catsdad
I bought a Karcher for car washing but although very good for other things (drain cleaning with an attachment and paving clearing) its useless for cleaning cars. If you use the brush attachment there seems no benefit over conventional hose and brush and you still have contact issues. If you want to remove all the dirt just using the lance then its really slow as its cleaning the car with an inch wide jet and I found it quite streaky afterwards as some dirt remained. You also risk blasting off the paint from plastics if other threads are to be believed.
Pressure washers - Old Navy
I have a Karcher pressure washer, useless and way too powerful for the car, OK for the decking on low power, and brilliant for the block paving. Hose, bucket, and sponge for the car.
Pressure washers - madf
I found pressure washers very good fro removing the paint cover on plastic wheeltrims and underbody seal from wheelarches.

For cleaning cars, a good wash with a hose followed by a sponge and backet of water plus wax is difficult to beat..

Pressure washers - Victorbox
A pressure washer will loosen dirt but not get it off. You will still need to wash the surface of the car. Get a good quality wash mitt - not a sponge and a decent quality car shampoo plus chamois (synthetic or natural) or other proper drying cloth e.g. spautopia.co.uk/wipes_and_microfibres.aspx If you are particularly fastidious you can study the two bucket method with grit guards over on detailing world. www.detailingworld.co.uk/
No high pressure spraying on the tyre sidewalls and go easy in the wheel arches or you will be removing wax protection as well as muck.
Pressure washers - oldnotbold
I agree that a PW is not much use unless you are washing trucks, cleaning stable floors and blasting neighbours' cats using the garden as a WC (in the general direction of, not at them..).

Bucket, wash cloth, start high up and work down, and rinse well before chammy-ing.
Pressure washers - M.M
Dougie. Like you my new car is just two weeks old. Like others above I wouldn't use a pressure washer. I use two buckets of lukewarm water and expensive wash brush for the paint, another bucket and alloy wheel crevice brush for the wheels, a cold water hose to rinse. Either a clean large leather or hi-tech cloth to finish.
Pressure washers - dieselfitter
>>DONT use a chamois

What's wrong with a chammy? Does a good job, removes anything you missed first time, easy to keep clean....

I'm close to obsessive about car washing and waxing as it is.....don't want to go down the detailing road or I seriously think my family will have me certified.
Pressure washers - ForumNeedsModerating
Pressure washers are great for removing much/most of the crap & bits of insect - I always pressure wash (commercial) before washing my car. I wouldn't buy one - they're either too puny to go a good quick job or too expensive if they are for the actual use you get out of them.

Problem with the those who caress their cars with sponges/mitts etc., is that you're much more likely to rub bits of grit & crud into the paint & get micro (or not so micro) scratches.

I've never noticed any of the so-called damage or 'paint -lifting' either - used sensibly they're not harmful - just don't push into crannies, joints or 'soft' looking areas - and obviously not engine bays etc.

Don't buy though - just use your local jet-wash.
Pressure washers - Alby Back
.......or how about leaving it until March.....? Too cold out there boys and girls !

;-)
Pressure washers - madf
Too cold out there boys and girls !

My hands turn a fetching shade of whiteish blue when cold and an even nicer pink when they warm up after washing the car.

I can't stand the pain of warming though :-(

Wuss..

Edited by madf on 13/01/2010 at 14:21

Pressure washers - volcane

I have a kew pressure washer (now at my parents) which has been used for 'washing' extended family fleet for 10 years along with other washing tasks. It does not wash the car but its extremely useful as a pre wash and rinse and is always used with due care.

As we are in a country area I can't imagine washing a car without first using the pressure washer to remove thick layers of mud and animal products! I use a two bucket method with a micro fibre noodle mit and if I have time dry using micro fibre towels (good ones from Lidl, I have a collection!)

I intend to buy a mid range Karcher for my own place.
Pressure washers - M.M
As fellow country dwellers that's a fair point. Happens our mains pressure is high and a hose jet nozzle mostly does the job when it's real mucky.

Just off out to wash the Mondeo of 2yrs for the last time before a prospective buyer braves the snow to look at it.

Edited by M.M on 13/01/2010 at 14:32

i forgot to recommend stardrops as my preferred washing medium as it doesnt streak and less than a bob a bottle
sponges are good it just needs a decorum of sensibility and not one of those cheap ones buy a quality one,really fail to see how you can scratch the bodywork if you wet the car first and work from the top and clean the sponge often?
Pressure washers - J1mbo
Is that Stardrops as in the kitchen household cleaner?
Pressure washers - Andy P
I wouldn't bother with the engine - it's meant to be a bit dirty. When I've gone to buy a car and found it with a pristine engine bay it always makes me wonder whether there was on oil leak or something they were trying to hide.
Pressure washers - notathletic
I thought that Stardrops cleaned a big, big carpet for less than half a crown.
Pressure washers - Manatee
Cleans a big big carpet
For less-than-half-a-crown.
Pressure washers - the_detailer
Some of the replies on here are hilarious.

I am a professional vehicle detailer/valeter and i bring back scratched and swirly paint to it's newest condition and i use a Kranzle power washer.

I recently corrected the paintwork on a Porsche 993 due to it being washed weekly with a brush and sponge.

If you t to see what damage can be done by some of the suggested wash routines then please look at these swirls (Image taken from a very good car cleaning supplies website

img157.imageshack.us/i/ba3aeswirls7qc.jpg/

Trust me, Correct wash techniques will not damage your car but takinbg some of this advice will.

Come join us at detailingworld.co.uk and see for yourself - :)
Pressure washers - J1mbo
Your not using the powerful jet to move the dirt, its more of a way of applying the pre wash/shampoo. Some like to just use a single bucket with water in and apply shampoo via the lance.
the_detailer, I see you have requested backup from the detailing extremists.

www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=15...0

Edited by Old Navy on 13/01/2010 at 16:03

Pressure washers - Pugugly
Thank you ON

I think the point was made without calling for "Backup" it's the Backroom not downtown LA

Rob - Moderator.

Edited by Pugugly on 13/01/2010 at 16:06

Maybe it's just me but I find the concept of "detailing" just a wee bit weird.......I mean, I like a clean car and so on but y'know....Well maybe you don't....

;-)
Pressure washers - Jcoventry
There's three ways of going about it.

Rushing it, and doing it wrong and inducing lots of scratches, swirls, etc. This is what most people do - go into any car park, and start inspecting the condition of paintwork on cars. Even expensive ones are sometimes in pretty bad shape because the owner obviously doesn't care enough.

Doing it fast but properly - a good rinse, shampoo, rinse again, dry off. Quick but keeps the worst off the mud, etc off.

A full detail, takes a LOT of time/money and might be seen as obsessive - but when done you will be pleased with the results.

More important than washing the panels is keeping the wheel arches, door sills and everywhere underneath clean - all you need is a garden hose with a nozzle attachment. Pressure washer is overkill for a car IMO.
Pressure washers - madf
Some of us know how to wash cars without washing systems.. and have done so for decades without damage to paintwork...
Some of us know how to wash cars without washing systems.. and have done so
for decades without damage to paintwork...

Galvanised bodyshells, modern paint technology and sealers, I'd like to see these "detailers" keep a 30 or 40 year old car in pristine condition, anyone can wash dirt off a modern car.
Pressure washers - FotheringtonThomas
Wash the car? Get someone else to do it.

"Wire brush and Dettol".
Pressure washers - J1mbo
We detailers just purley like to keep our cars looking as new as poss, some of us use them as daily drives and some for shows/events. Its all about doing what you can, in the time you have. If your happy to use a bucket and sponge, no prob, but you can do better, its all about choice. You don't really need to be spending hours dusting air vents, but just taking extra care in washing the car can really make a differance. You also don't need to be spending £3k on a wax, a tub of something costing £15 applied correctly will again, get you good results. Enjoy the new car.
Pressure washers - SteveLee
I only ever wash my cars or bikes once - when I'm going to sell 'em. Other than that only the glass area and lights ever see a sponge! The dirt protects the paintwork - that's my theory! :-)

Although some dealers insist on washing cars after a service - they must hate me!
Ha Ha Ha!

Well done detailingworld - sock it to 'em!

A little experiment for the 'I've always used a bucket & sponge' constituency - run your finger over a 'washed' section (esp. the lower panels..) before you chamois it... you'll be horrified at all the grit still attached & waiting to add the the lovely swirling when you rub it in.
im not interested in detailing cars or win awards but i certainly know how to valet
im self taught too
non of this hairy fairy ooh you dont want to do it like that rubbish
a cars a car it needs cleaning ......end of
>>non of this hairy fairy ooh you dont want to do it like that rubbish
>>a cars a car it needs cleaning ......end of

if you're going to clean, why not try to use best possible practice? I'm sure we've all got something to learn. Detailing, although at the 'extreme' end of car cleaning has many useful lessons the 'amateur' can apply & use. Even autodidacts should be able to learn from others sometimes!
Pressure washers - captain chaos
Really?
You'll be telling me next I shouldn't be using cotton buds to clean my tyre treads...
:-)
I know this is really really childish and apologise in advance to any who may be offended by the very notion !.......

But......a friend of our formative years was really obsessive about keeping his car immaculate. I suppose he was a forebear of the modern detailer. We lived near the sea and a few strategically placed breadcrumbs placed on his parked car when he wasn't looking was enough to attract the gulls.......

;-)

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 13/01/2010 at 17:15

Not as good as the very annoyed solicitor who put a seagull in an unlocked Police car - childish, naughty but ultimately very satisfying.
I remember from the dim distant past an unpopular naval officer who had a Jaguar MK2 which he occasionally left a small yappy dog in. For some reason it would dash around the inside of the car urinating if the roof was slapped. :-)
...........and did you PU and you ON know the solicitor concerned and the Naval person who discovered the dog's habit quite well ??
Oh no,no,no,no....
My memory is not that good!
Pressure washers - madf
a tub of something costing £15 applied correctly will again, get you good results

£15 on wax is three times what I consider a reasonable price...Aldi sell perfectly acceptable ones for around £5..

And I hasten to say I know nothing of looking after cars and the fact that my wide drives a Peugeot 106 which she has owned from new 17 years ago - and looks nearly new- is pure chance and nothing to do with my skills at washing the car..

(And certainly not hers: she has Never washed it.. but that's another story:-)

Edited by madf on 13/01/2010 at 20:18

nice one madf
we dont share the same wife though do we? mines averse to washing her car till i show her the tide lines on it
I've got one like that, she has never lifted a bonnet, cleaned the inside, or washed a car. Mess up the inside of the house at your peril though!
Pressure washers - madf
bellboy

we dont share the same wife though do we?

She has never mentioned you.. I will ask her tonight...
Pressure washers - PhilW
And what about "£3k on a wax," - that must be a typo surely?
Pressure washers - Jcoventry
Why is everyone picking on detailing/detailers? What is so wrong about it? It's not weird to look after your car, especially if its brand new and you've just spent 20k+ on it or whatever. I know, I know, you can look after a car without detailing it all the time, but its a hobby to some people so that's fair enough. I am looking forward to doing a proper detailing on my car soon, but usually it just gets a good rinse and shampoo which does the job fine. And you must admit, a detailed car looks absolutely stunning (until it rains...). :)
>>Why is everyone picking on detailing/detailers?

I suppose it is the difference between the car using anorak, and the car cleaning anorak.

Edited by Old Navy on 13/01/2010 at 21:00

Pressure washers - oilrag
I`ve just realized that our local £5 Hand-wash, are far more thorough than I am.
Pressure washers - madf
Why is everyone picking on detailing/detailers?

Simple.

Detailer comes on here and says:

"Some of the replies on here are hilarious."
and
"
Trust me, Correct wash techniques will not damage your car but takinbg some of this advice will."...

Which is just asking for trouble:-)

I know it's a hobby to some.. and I have no objection to any hobby (as long as it's legal) but at my age and experience (note I do not say expertise), anyone who taunts me with the above statements is deliberately inviting some reply..

So as not to disappoint, I give some..

Edited by madf on 13/01/2010 at 21:03

Pressure washers - AndyTheGreat

A friends dad used to have an old jag, owned from new. Its was lovingly washed every week for many years. Eventually the paint wore down to the primer and a full respray was required.

My theory these days is to wash the car as little as possible, saves time, money and less chance of adding new swirls. I have a soft brush on a long handle that goes on the hose pipe, I just use that, dont even bother with any wash or wax. The cars I currently have are 'white goods' though - if I had a nice lamborghini or evo 10, then I would take a bit more care.

A well detailed car certainly looks the mutts nutts, especially in black or red.

Top tips:

- brillo pads are great for removing stubborn tar spots.
- buy a 4x4 and drive through some mud, you will never have to wash it again and your mates will think you are cool for driving off road.
- Run out of wax? Just pinch the wifes can of mr sheen
- Dont eat yellow snow
Pressure washers - CGNorwich
"The cars I currently have are 'white goods' though - if I had a nice lamborghini or evo 10, then I would take a bit more care."

Nothing wrong with white goods - spent the afternoon detailing the tumbledrier :-)
Pressure washers - stunorthants26
Dont use a sponge, dont use a pressure washer, blah blah blah. If I listened to this nonsense id never make a living!
Armchair know-it-alls rise again! Amazing what rubbish intelligent people come to believe really.

Not all pressure washers have damaging levels of pressure, sponges do just fine if you prep/rinse the paint beforehand ( paint isnt THAT fragile ) and yes, people who clean cars for a living know the best way to do it because A) we like to be efficient and B) there is no profit when you damage peoples cars.

Pressure washers - Roly93
For what its worth, I've had a nice Bosch 130 psi washer for a couple of years now. I bought it for washing the car but soon learned that they are useless, and wasteful of water and electric to do this.

I now never use the PW for the car. I would spend the money instead on a good soft body brush, bucket and some good car shampoo.
Pressure washers - legacylad
I always use my Stihl pressure washer on my car. Initially with the wide spray lance to get the thick off, then under the arches and underbody. Then bucket & sponge. Then lance again to get soap off. Finally leather off. Not very often it has to be said, but the paintwork on my '98 Mazda 626 is still excellent.
The Stihl is a great piece of kit....the nozzle for washing patios ensures a fantastic job, and I use it for small commercial jobs.
Pressure washers - stunorthants26
legacylad - spot on chap.
Pressure washers - legacylad
If I think that my Stihl pressure washer is too powerful and will damage the paintwork, then I stand further away from the vehicle. I only use it close up under the wheel arches and under body areas...using discretion where necessary.
Works a treat...if I had been feeling flush I think I could have purchased a Stihl model which heated the water. Fingers crossed for next months P Bond draw.
As previously stated - I rarely washed my cars over the years, BMW did a good job as part of the service deal - I may pressure wash the salt off the CRV once all this snow stuff goes, the bikes are generally cleaned after winter rides. Why worry about it really.
Pressure washers - sandy56
Pressure washers are used to get the worst of the mud etc off,
then you use a bucket and soft brush

Pressure washers - madf
Pressure washers are used to get the worst of the mud etc off

I use a garden hose. Cheaper, quicker to use and far fewer parts to go wrong.

And it does as good a job..

Pressure washers - ifithelps
I think paint marks more easily than it used to - I know Ford paint does.

One theory is the lack of noxious chemicals in modern paints.

I had the gloss-work at Ifithelps Towers painted by a professional - lovely neat job - but I can see it's not going to last long.

Bring back the lead, I say.

As regards detailing the car, I'm just not interested.

The difference is, I don't look down on the detailers, but from this thread, it seems they are inclined to look down on the likes of me.

Edited by ifithelps on 14/01/2010 at 09:46

Pressure washers - CGNorwich
"I had the gloss-work at Ifithelps Towers painted by a professional - lovely neat job - but I can see it's not going to last long."

Main problem is usually failure to use a decent oil based undercoat. Many painters use a water based acrylic because it dries quickly allowing another coat in the same day. Painting is one of those jobs where an amateur, with time can do a better job than a professional.
Pressure washers - ifithelps
... Many painters use a water based acrylic because it dries quickly allowing another coat in the same day...

CG,

Thanks for that.

I suspect that is what this guy did, which puts a slightly different complexion on things.

Will try to remember to ask about oil-based undercoat next time.
Pressure washers - oldgit
Pressure washers are used to get the worst of the mud etc off
I use a garden hose. Cheaper quicker to use and far fewer parts to go
wrong.
And it does as good a job..

Hear, hear! Ialso use a hose, terminated with either a garden watering trigger 'thingy' for general wetting or around the wheel arches and then fix on a Hozelock water-fed brush. The fact remains that a jet of water alone, unless it is at a dangerously high pressure for paintwork. will NOT remove plastered on dirt. And what is the point of setting all that equipment up just to apply foam or wet the car's surface?

I do have a Karcher PW. but only use it for my patio and other outside jobs. It can severely damage wooden surfaces and I blew a hole in a somewhat old and brittle plastic garden chair. The thoughts of using these on my car's paintwork, around my door seals and tyres etc. leaves my cold.

Edited by oldgit on 15/01/2010 at 09:40

I also have a power washer here at work,i too use it for cleaning the floors.
As for using it on tyres if you inadvertantly hit the sidewalls on full power then it turns the casing brown,not good is it
I know its been said before but i will repeat, if your car has had some paintwork done (even if car brand new) and the surface wasn't prepped properly to key the paint ,then a power washer can and often will rip the paint straight off especially on bumpers/wing mirrors/filler caps etc
The thoughts of using these on my car's paintwork, around my door seals and tyres etc. leaves my cold.

I think this is a largely unfounded fear. If you use a fan shaped spray pattern the focus or psi can be varied according to surface. for example, when using a commercial pressure washer, I don't get in close on door seals & the like, I move away a bit. Likewise with any junction or sealing point. Paint? Again, I never get the pressure over less than, say, 4-6 sq inches - if your paint will 'lift' at that point, then it's going to fall off pretty soon anyway!

Finally tyres. Maybe very old/brittle could be damaged by extreme water prssure - I don't know. My tyres though, put up with greater impacts & forces in my everyday driving than they do from pressure washing. As an experiment I've tried focussing a pressure washer on tyres I was about to get changed - I mean really trying to make a mark of some kind - not a sausage! Just very clean tyres.

I can imagine an old banger falling to bits with a pressure washer, but with the average new-ish car in reasonable nick, I find it hard to imagine. If you've got sub-paint or structural corrosion going on - yes - you can imagine a hole or cavity being blasted, but with no 'key' to focus on, pressure won't find weakness.
Pressure washers - oldgit
The thoughts of using these on my car's paintwork around my door seals and tyres
etc. leaves my cold.
I think this is a largely unfounded fear. If you use a fan shaped spray
pattern the focus or psi can be varied according to surface. for example when using
a commercial pressure washer I don't get in close on door seals & the like
I move away a bit. Likewise with any junction or sealing point. Paint? Again I

The question still remains in my mind though and that is, why use one at all?
In my case, as a 'non-professional' but who has been cleaning cars since the late 1950's my pressure washer, should I want to use it, is a pain to set up as it resides on a garage shelf along with all its paraphernalia.
I don't mind getting it assembled along with my protective clothing, several times a year for external household jobs but as I have already said I would not dream of using a potentially damaging piece of equipment on my new car's paintwork or nice new supple door seals and tyres etc.
I have a hose, dedicated to car cleaning, set up and this runs around the house from the rear to the front drive and this is easily connected to the outside tap. This together with a bucket or two of warm water into which I rinse a synthetic Autoglym 'leather' and my hose-fed devices are more than sufficient for the job - as outlined in my previous postings on this matter.
Pressure washers - dimdip
And what is the point of setting all that equipment up just to apply foam or wet the car's surface?

I think this is a good use for them since it means suds can be applied without any agitation that would score the surface, and then be rinsed off quickly without using too much water (handy if you're on metered water).
Pressure washers - J1mbo
There's a whole host of various types of stuff that can be applied, TFR, degreasers and so on, some use this as part of a contactless wash. Not done this myself though but means a touchless wash with no sponge/mitt or brush. Useful for cars that perhaps arestored for shows or something.