I Have a Question - Volume 338 [Read only] - Pugugly

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 339 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 338. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found:- HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/01/2010 at 19:04

I hate my useless bank - I need to change banks - Rattle
I won't go into the exact details but I am a good customer, I don't owe them a penny. I asked for a new card today as the security number has faded. I also phoned up a different department about my business card which is not working they have ordered me a new card.

Just been to Morrisons and could not pay, my personal card has expired despite it expiring in June 2010.

They told me I could carry on using it in the bank.

I am trying to phone them now (customer services) but waiting for ever.

I have had enough of this, I have had so many communication problems with this bank enough is enough. I have been a customer since 1987, will changing now effect my abiliy to get credit?

Just had enough with the hopeless and rude staff at their branches.

Edited by rtj70 on 08/01/2010 at 21:18

Odio a mi banco inútil - I need to change banks - Old Navy
Just had enough with the hopeless and rude staff at their branches.

The problem is that you live in a big rude city, Rattle.

Edited by Old Navy on 08/01/2010 at 18:59

Odio a mi banco inútil - I need to change banks - Rattle
Just signed up for a new account, will need to go and show them my paper work and I have a nice new account waiting for me. I have been meaning to this for years :)#

Hopefully this new bank won't have a staff turn over higher than McDonalds.
Odio a mi banco inútil - I need to change banks - JH
Rattle,
ah, you'll have to prove that you are you and that your occupation is not criminal. Could easily take 5 - 6 weeks before your account is up and running! :-)

It's actually darned difficult providing the documentation you need these days. I could only find one document with my full name on it when I opened an account recently so that's one company where I won't be signing up for paperless billing in a hurry.

I hope you get the satisfaction of being asked why you are moving your account!

JH

Edited by JH on 08/01/2010 at 19:33

Indeed, I have been meaning to this for a long time but when its worked just put up with it. In the mean time will go into the branch tomorrow with passport and draw some money out, I have no access to money otherwise since I now have two cards which don't work.

That bank for me went down hill ever since they got taken over by a foreign bank.
Odio a mi banco inútil - I need to change banks - JH
Ah, that one. Yes, they have a reputation and it's not a good one. Withdraw your money, don't rely on closure because they will take weeks over it. I had a savings account with them once. The other banks (building societies?) they acquired have gone the same way.

JH
I (they is was) bought out my credit card company too, now every time I try and make a payment the website is down, so I always end up having to phone India.

Once my current account is moved I shall pay off my credit card and also move my business card. I can help support a UK bank at the same time :)

I know it will be a lot of hassle but I do feel like I have won :) It is wonderful not oweing a bank any money so you can tell them to get lost when you receive poor service.

Edited by Rattle on 08/01/2010 at 19:55

Odio a mi banco inútil - I need to change banks - Pugugly
SMILE - a good Manchester Bank - with a Warrington Call Centre, friendly staff with a name - been with them since they started - faultless.
Odio a mi banco inútil - I need to change banks - rtj70
My bank has been excellent for over 15 years of being there. Opened a joint account over the phone (and popped into branch with wife's ID) to pay in the house sale money. No problems at all.

It was one of the banks that did not need bailing out recently too. And it is listed.
Odio a mi banco inútil - I need to change banks - Armitage Shanks {p}
I was with First Direct until they started paying 0% on my current account. Excellent UK based call centre and now, being with the Spanish Mafia, I sometimes regret leaving!
Odio a mi banco inútil - I need to change banks - cheddar
Barcalys since I was 16, and that's a long time, they have been impecable, the only time I had a problem I received two bottles in good wine by courier.
Odio a mi banco inútil - I need to change banks - daveyjp
Tried about 5 banks and they have all managed to cause me problems which has lead me to swap to someone else.

I may be one of the few who have had no problems with the Spanish, but when I have an issue which is more complicated than asking for a balance I go into branch and don't leave until I have left my problem at an employees desk.

After being passed from pillar to post a call centre advised me it would take at least 10 working days from me returning a form I hadn't received after 7 days to get a refund on a fraudulent transaction.

I wasn't happy so I went into a branch and got comfy at someones desk. She made the calls to UK based staff and it was sorted. Cash was refunded in three days.
Odio a mi banco inútil - I need to change banks - bathtub tom
Different banks keep paying me compo!

All I do is try and move my ISA, current A/C, use my AVCs for an annuity and they make a pig's ear of it. I complain. It goes to their complaints department. They send me a cheque. It's becoming quite lucrative, not as much as the minimum wage, but It'll do.

What can I try next. ;>)
I will try that :) Already got the process rolling for the new bank but will be writing strong letter of complaint. The bank have made far too many basic mistakes.
Odio a mi banco inútil - I need to change banks - Martin Devon
snip

Edited by Pugugly on 08/01/2010 at 21:04

snip

Edited by Pugugly on 08/01/2010 at 21:04

I was only telling folk today what a good bank they are!!

AND a new colleague rates them sooo highly too.

M
Got to say Rats, didn't get the girl bit?
Think about it :)
A bank is only as good as the staff in the local branch though. I've had problems like them changing from student account to a normal one without telling me. Randomly variable over draft amounts from one month to the next, statements which were wrong which showed I was over my agreed over draft when I wasn't. Just lots of communication problems really.

My local branch has a very high turn over of staff which is probably a cause of the problems I have had.

They were very good until a year ago when all the problems started.

I have to say that I think that they have improved immensely since snip took the reins. Same staff in ours since Hyde park was a flowerpot.

M

Edited by Pugugly on 08/01/2010 at 21:05

As I say I think a lot of it depends on the branch, the other branch in the next town further up is a lot better, but I deal with my local one. I've had quite complex banking needs over the past three years and with all the mergers there has been too many cockups.
Odio a mi banco inútil - I need to change banks - crunch_time
" I am a good customer, I don't owe them a penny"

I bet they don't see it like that! 'Good' customers owe them lots and pay lots of fees and interest.

If you want to annoy them, leave £1 in the account and they will still then be obliged to send you all the statutory notifications.

I hate my useless bank - I need to change banks - rtj70
>>A bank is only as good as the staff in the local branch though.

I didn't say who I used above in case someone shot me down... but it's Barclays. I won't bore anyone how the personal service going from student to the real world was brilliant - I had someone acting as personal banker for like two years.

I used telephone banking since 1995 and Internet not long after (Barclays again) and don't need to go in branch. Almost 100% of my banking I can do online and it's very secure... you have to put your card in a reader and get a one-time 8 digit code after entering your PIN number.
I've had problems like them changing from student account to a normal one without telling
me.

But didn't you know when you went from being a student to a graduate? I was in the bank changing over on my terms long before this situation. I actually changed from Midland/HSBC to Barclays during that time - but the full reason is long winded and boring.
Randomly variable over draft amounts from one month to the next,

During what period? Overdrafts follow the base rate and are a very expensive way to borrow money anyway.

Edited by rtj70 on 09/01/2010 at 12:23

The main trouble started when I saw a car back in October 2008, I was waiting for cheques to clear which take 7 days by which time the car would have been sold. I asked if I could extend my overdraft the staff at the branch agreed and let me. Luckily the sale fell through because I heared through the grapvine that the seller was a crook.

However I then bought another cheaper car, my infamous Fiesta. I had a lot of trouble with it and it was costing me a fortune in repairs, it was silly things like the inside door handle breaking one day, clutch going the next. I then checked my bank account to find the amount I could spend was £1500 less. Nobody at the branch could explain this and after spending hours on the phone call it turned out because I no longer have a student account I have no overdraft. Nobody at the branch or the initial call centres knew this.

It took a lot of sorting out and eventualy I got my over draft back, a mere £450 but its very handy when waiting for cheques to clear. However I then had another major problem because the statements never showed I had an overdraft when I did the bank did admit this mistake after a lot of complaints.

Then there problems with my business account it is a none branch access account and the branch won't have anything do with it, despite being told on the call centres they can actually help me with quries but not allow me to pay cash or cheques into it which I knew anyway.

At one time all the staff in the branch knew my name and knew who I was, now I am just a stranger to them. However at my old business bank its still the same people and they know me.

There has been a lot more trivial things too like money going into the wrong account when their computers are down (which seems to be all the time).

The final reason is during these tough times for banks I would rather support a British bank rather than a foreign one.

I hate my useless bank - I need to change banks - Pugugly
As I say SMILE British, Mancunian and ethical and very nice people.
What about branch support? My wages will need to go in as cash as soon as my cheques from my business account clear. I don't even draw a wage as such as I am not a LTD company, my profits just go into it and then my bills come out of that.

I have signed up with RBS simply because they are British, my sister is with and hasn't had any problems and the branch is fairly quiet (important to me). Not bothered about interest rates or anything like that.
I hate my useless bank - I need to change banks - Pugugly
Co-op are there High Street version.
I hate my useless bank - I need to change banks - 1400ted
I keep a couple of deposit accounts and SWMBO has a current account and an ISA at your branch of the Abbey, Rats. I can't say we have had any trouble whatsoever in all the years with them. My current account and household insurance is with the Halifax across the road and has been for 20 yrs. they are absolutely spot on to deal with, even to the point of telling me I had paid for insurance on my last 10 yrs car loans when I didn't need it. They filled in the forms for me and got me about £6K back very quickly. I haven't had an overdraft for about 30 yrs, so I'm not their best customer. I'm on first name terms with some of the staff, as they are with me. If they're quiet, I might get a coffee ! I've a cheque only account with the Leeds in Sale who are all great and a bond with the Birmingham Midshires who I never contact......they just send me money !
I'm not keen on the queueing you seem to get now, I was in the HX today, there were 2 tills on and the 2 customers in front of me seemed to be paying off the National Debt, by the time it took.

There are good ones around..I particularly like the HX's internet banking.....simple and efficient. Pay virtually everything on line now .

Ted
They used to be very good to me up until last year when some of staff left. It is just little things like they tell me to phone the business banking number but then don't give me the phone number to do it, meaning I have then surf the net on my phone to find it.

Sounds like you've had good service from the Halifax :) I don't know what I will do when cheques are banned, I seem to get half my income through cheques.
I hate my useless bank - I need to change banks - Kevin
Opening a new account or transferring accounts could cause problems if you are subject to a credit or identity check.

A few years ago a colleague moved from Sheffield down to Bracknell. He moved his bank account from Sheffield to the Bracknell branch of the same bank.

The combination of new address and new account number caused numerous problems including utility companies demanding substantial deposits before they would connect him. He eventually discovered that credit/identity checks were showing him as having no traceable record.

Kevin...
I hate my useless bank - I need to change banks - bell boy
no idea what bank you are talking about
but
my bank is now spanish
ive never been in their branches as i pay all my money into my local post office
i went overdrawn last year and they sent a very polite letter saying let them know next time i go overdrawn
ive been with most of the others in my life
i have no interest in any of them
spanish good from here
no £35 letters, no paying parking fees to go up town to pay my money in,no sneering staff that hate counting real money
I hate my useless bank - I need to change banks - Stuartli
Stick with LloydsTSB...:-)
Freedom o/i act - Martin Devon
Somebody has complained to the Parish council about a colleague's dogs barking and they (The PC) have contacted him on the matter. Q. Under the Freedom O/I act can he see who has made these complaints as one can do to objections to a planning matter at Local Authority level.

Tia.......MD
Mobile insurance - worth it? - Rattle
Currently sorting out all my finances and wonder if I should stop paying my mobile insurance. My phone a Nokia N85 is not worth a great deal (about £220 on the used market) but I am worried if I cancel it what happens if somebody made calls using it and lands me with a big bill?

What is the law on this? If my phone got knicked and they did £300 of calls would I be liable to pay for them?
Mobile insurance - worth it? - 1400ted
I don't know the law or procedures on this, Rats. Just get on Pay as you Go, keep it topped up to £30/40 and when the thief runs out, if it's been filched, then you're in loss limitation mode.....He'll have to buy more credit !

Ted
Mobile insurance - worth it? - Rattle
I am a phone adict though :p I do use the internet a lot on it too, it is very handy when on a slow bus journey into town or something. The phones would cost £500 or so on PAYGU.

As prices fall though PAYUGO is getting more attractive, I recently bought my mum a new Samnsung phone with a Qwerty keyboard so she can text faster, cost £50.

I currently have two contract phones, one personal and one business, I am finding I am making less and less personal calls as my mates all get married etc so hopefully my personal phone can go to pas you go and keep my business on contract. Nothing worse than missing an important call for a job and running out of credit to call them back.
Mobile insurance - worth it? - Stuartli
>>Nothing worse than missing an important call for a job and running out of credit to call them back. >>

You certainly have your problems....:-)

If you've missed the call you can't call them back.....:-(

Edited by Stuartli on 09/01/2010 at 00:04

Mobile insurance - worth it? - maz64
Nothing worse than missing an important call for a job and running out of
credit to call them back.

I don't know about other networks but Virgin allow you to set up a direct debit so that won't happen. But of course you might not notice how much you're spending...
Mobile insurance - worth it? - Martin Devon
Why two phones. I know with Orange and I guess others too that you can just get 'line 2' with on your phone.
Mobile insurance - worth it? - Armitage Shanks {p}
If your phone is stolen just ring the Network Operator and give them the 16 digit IMEI number and the phone will be locked/blocked for ever. On most phones this number can be displayed on the screen by dialling *#06#, before it is stolen - obviously! Write it down somewhere - job done.
Mobile insurance - worth it? - Dynamic Dave
If your phone is stolen just ring the Network Operator and give them the 16
digit IMEI number and the phone will be locked/blocked for ever.

This doesn't stop the thief removing the SIM card and using it in another phone to continue making calls at your expense though.
Mobile insurance - worth it? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Bother! I thought I had been so helpful!

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 11/01/2010 at 08:27

Mobile insurance - worth it? - rtj70
If you know the phone is missing then calling the operator will cancel the SIM as well as disable the phone (although it can be hacked back into life).

A limit on how much can be spent per month might be an alternative. They could never use more than that if stolen.
Mobile insurance - worth it? - Martin Devon
Hi Rats,

Cant you just lock it?
multiple HDMI inputs for better sound - Citroënian {P}
Hi all

Thanks for the replies yesterday - I'm a bit worried about video/audio sync issues using optical or other inputs so want to keep it as simple as possible.

A trip to the local Sony centre revealed a box (HTS S360) that does 5.1, has three inputs and one output, effectively being an HDMI switch. It was on sale but still more than the PS3 and XBOX put together. Not ruled out though, nice looking unit with Bravia Link so it'll integrate properly with the Sony TV and the PS3.

Took AEs advice and visited Richer. Turns out there's a lot of AV amps now that have multiple HDMI inputs. The chap recommended an ONKYO 5.1 amp and some speakers, which combined were £70 less than the sony box. Means another remote control but I suspect the sound may be better.

Need now to decide between the two. That said, I found a groovy TV stand at John Lewis in the sale and now the TV appears to be floating. Given that it's hit my budget, it'll give me more time to save up and think through the decision!

If anyone has an opinion on the Sony/ONKYO choice would be glad to listen.

finally, bellboy, thanks for the link, hadn't seen sevenoaks before will check them out.

Grazie mille
Lee

multiple HDMI inputs for better sound - Stuartli
Onkyo is a well respected brand.

But my younger offspring has all this in his living room and doesn't have a fraction of the problems...:-)
Cost of Freehold - motorprop
Am not expecting much here , but am stuck at an impasse ; Myself and a neighbour wish to buy our freehold. The freeholder is a London Borough. I have spoken to a couple of lawyers and a local one suggested to speak to the council's officers ( they have people in that department ), which I did. The question is simple : How much will you want for the freehold ? However, the council people won't divulge a thing, saying we will only find out when submitting a proper application ( section 13 ) , so we will incur 4 figure legal fees just to ask ' How much ? '

Now, my angle is : Surely I can find out how much they sold similar ones for under the Freedom of Information act ??

How do I access the act and can I pose a question directly ( i.e not through a lawyer ? )

many thanks

Edited by Pugugly on 09/01/2010 at 10:49

Cost of Freehold - daveyjp
You probably can't access individual records via FOI as it is financial information between 2 parties. All they will probably provide is how much money they have raised through the sale of freeholds.

The land registry may have information. They are always helpful. Find your local office and give them a call.

Lands Tribunal is the ultimate arbiter and their cases are reported.

Alternatively engage a surveyor who knows about these things and get them to value it for you. You will need this anyway should the Council make you an offer, otherwise how do you know the Council offer is the market value?

Edited by Pugugly on 09/01/2010 at 10:50

Good tips about Lands Registry.

Surveyors want a 4 figure sum just to take on case. My neighbour is very difficult re : parting with money.

Edited by Pugugly on 09/01/2010 at 10:50

Cost of Freehold - Pugugly
Doubt whether they'll tell you through FOI though - access to FOI shold be detailed on their website they'll have an Officer who'll tell you.
Cost of Freehold - ifithelps
They are also not keen on fishing expeditions and can refuse questions which would take hundreds of man hours to answer.

I don't think the value of a freehold could be described as commercially sensitive, so if you knew of a similar property where it had changed hands, you have a reasonable case for asking details of that specific property.

The information you seek may even have appeared on a council report somewhere.

Council receipts and expenditure is largely a matter of public record.

On a different tack, I thought the value of these things was often decided by an independent tribunal.

Surely it doesn't cost thousands to go through that process?
It only goes to a tribunal if parties can't agree on a price ..
But if the following was true ;

' You probably can't access individual records via FOI as it is financial information between 2 parties '

then how comes you can find out what any house sold in Eng & Wales ( Financial info between 2 parties ) has gone for since about the year 2000 - and for free ??
Cost of Freehold - Stuartli
See:

www.nethouseprices.com/index.php?con=Search-Sold-H...s

www.landregistry.gov.uk/wps/portal/Property_Search

Edited by Stuartli on 09/01/2010 at 13:32

Seville - Travel Advice please - Altea Ego
Right - the AE "escape to the sun" winter holiday will be Seville.

Recommendations for hotel please, and any general advice welcome.

Edited by Altea Ego on 09/01/2010 at 13:04

Seville - Travel Advice please - bathtub tom
I've used this lot:

www.lowcosttravelgroup.com/

They did everything as they said they would, however they seem to be linked to :

www.resorthoppa.com/

I would try to avoid them at all costs.
Seville - Travel Advice please - Nsar
I assume you have a good furtle round on Tripadvisor?
Seville - Travel Advice please - Altea Ego
I assume you have a good furtle round on Tripadvisor?

Oh Yes. One hotel has already been knocked off the list due to a "cockroach alert"

Seville - Travel Advice please - bell boy
dont go next week its bucketing it down there
Seville - Travel Advice please - Mapmaker
I spent a week in Jerez in October, and one of the nights we stayed in Seville. An absolutely wonderful city.

Stayed here: www.hotelsevillaweb.es/servicios which was about £80 a night. You can pay twice or thrice that if you go to the cathedral area - which is utterly charming maze of tiny streets. Seville is renowned for being very expensive, hotel-wise, and the rooms are like shoe boxes.

Visit the Fine Art Museum, Plaza del Museo. Pay to visit the cathedral. Eat Tapas, change bar, eat more tapas. If you get bored, Jerez is worth a visit, for tasting sherry.
Seville - Travel Advice please - Robin
Think very carefully before hiring a car. The streets of Seville are extremely narrow and parking can be a nightmare. We have been to Seville twice: first time we did not hire a car and got around just fine; second time we hired a car for travelling outside the city and had a horrible time driving it in the city. We borrowed a sat nav the second time and found it next to useless: the streets are very narrow and the buidlings can be quite high so getting a signal was a problem most of the time so finding places was not easy.
Snow about to fall of fthe roof. - Clanger
My house adjoins the street in front. A look up at the roof this morning showed an estimated 18" of snow on the roof. When it melts and slides onto the street below, I can imagine it would give someone underneath a real fright. Would I be liable if that someone got nasty? I have ordinary house insurance with £2m public liability.

As always, TIA.

Edited by Pugugly on 09/01/2010 at 16:52

Snow about to fall of fthe roof. - Altea Ego
I would worry more about it taking your gutter with it.
Snow about to fall of fthe roof. - ifithelps
...I would worry more about it taking your gutter with it...

I was thinking just the same - the roof at Ifithelps Towers is surrounded by its grounds, so anyone hit by falling snow would probably be a burglar.

Saw a collapsed car port the other day - almost certainly caused by weight of snow.

Snow about to fall of fthe roof. - bathtub tom
The most likely scenario is it willl slowly melt and be taken away by the gutter. It's most unlikely to slip off.

Gutters are vulnerable to being ripped off if icicles are allowed to form on them.
Snow about to fall of fthe roof. - Stuartli
It's most unlikely to slip off.>>

Plenty slipping off the roofs of properties in my area as we have had several days of sunshine.
Snow about to fall of fthe roof. - Armitage Shanks {p}
Sur le continent many houses have large wooden poles, mounted on the roof parallel with the gutters and about 2 feet above them, for the specific purpose of catching and/or breaking up falls of sliding snow. Also many houses have very steeply pitched roofs to prevent the build up of large accumulations of snow.
Snow about to fall of fthe roof. - ifithelps
...It's most unlikely to slip off...

Had a couple of mini-avalanches at Ifithelps Towers in the last few hours.

One has more or less buried the wheelie bin.
It had it coming, yours is the worse behaved bin on the street.
Snow about to fall of fthe roof. - bathtub tom
It seems I was wrong, having just dug myself out of the snow that slid off my roof and buried me. ;>)
Snow about to fall of fthe roof. - perro
>>> having just dug myself out of the snow that slid off my roof and buried me <<<

NOW you know how it feels to have bin buried.
Oh thats so rubbish
aldi xenon torch - focusman
hi
wife has bought a xenon torch from aldi. put the batteries in and it blew the bulb.
on checking the bulb it is only 3.6V 0.82A, but is using 3 x 1.5V batteries. to me the bulb does not seem upto the job. am i correct or am i missing something and the bulb blowing is just coincidence.
thanks
aldi xenon torch - xtrailman
That voltage is fine, the bulb or bulb holder is at fault
aldi xenon torch - Old Navy
Just take it back, Aldi are good with replacements or refunds.
aldi xenon torch - dimdip
am i missing something and the bulb blowing is just coincidence.

Sounds like a mistake on their part. Had it been specified for use with only NiCad rechargeable batteries, it would have been OK since they are 1.2 V each.
Garage heaters - legacylad
I have a large detached double garage with power, light, electric doors, and boarded storage in the roof area accessed by a loft ladder. Yesterday during the 'thaw' (fortunately the day after I returned home from holiday) a water pipe in the loft area burst, leaving many gallons of water to pour through one of the door motors and out of the garage doors.
With hindsight I should have isolated and drained the water supply whilst away, but all the pipes are insulated and have been ok these past 10 years! I now propose to heat the garage, dry it out, and have an early spring clean.
In future I shall turn on the heater at night when sub zero temps are expected, maybe leaving the heater on 24/7 during cold spells.
Any recommendations please for a small industrial electric air warmer?
Garage heaters - maz64
Yesterday during the 'thaw' (fortunately the
day after I returned home from holiday) a water pipe in the loft area burst

We have a pipe that goes to an outside tap on the pillar in the middle of our double garage, and the pipe comes in through a loft area like yours I think. It burst last year, so the plumber put in an on/off valve where it leaves the 'house' bit and enters the garage.

Now we just have to remember to turn it off when the temperature drops (and I open the outside tap as well - not sure if it helps). No more bursts, yet...
Garage heaters - Altea Ego
>maybe leaving the heater on 24/7 during cold spells.

thats a very expensive and overkill way of stopping a pipe bursting.

I would get the pipe replaced with flexible pipe that would expand, and insulate it more comprehensively.
Garage heaters - FotheringtonThomas
Just remember to drain it! You could easily get (or have fitted if you can't do it) a drain cock - even an ordinary tap would do.
Garage heaters - dimdip
If you do go down the heating route, the tubular heaters for greenhouses might suit. If contolled by eg. a Siemens frost thermostat, it can be left on full time and will be switched on when the temp falls below 5 °C. The good thing about the Siemens stat is there's no adjustment wheel so it can't get set to 25 degrees by accident. (There are probably others now but that was the only one of that type I found a few years back...)
Garage heaters - Mapmaker
Wow, you have money to burn! Best of all to put heat trace in, which is attached to a thermostat and warms the pipes when it is frosty. Not cheap, mind, but cheaper than your proposal...

www.elementshop.co.uk/product.php?pid=461
Garage heaters - legacylad
Thanks for your replies.
I have a separate stop tap for the garage water supply under my kitchen sink, and in future I shall turn it off and drain when I go away in colder temps. Unfortunately, my washer is in the garage so draining, then turning on when I need to use the washer, then draining again, is not very efficient, although it is practical!
Maybe half a day spent fitting rockwool in the garage roof void is the way forward, in conjunction with an air warmer such as the Sealey EH2000 left on at night....that way the car will be warm on a morning and no scraping of ice.
Garage heaters - dimdip
Also its apparently well worth insulating your garage doors if not already done
Garage heaters - L'escargot
Also its apparently well worth insulating your garage doors if not already done

legacylad, since you've got an electric door beware of the extra weight that insulation would add to the door. I insulated my door and it appeared that the door opener was then struggling a bit so I removed the insulation.
Garage heaters - old crocks
If the tap is difficult to access, and you want to turn it off frequently, you could consider a remote stop tap like these.
www.surestop.co.uk/index.asp
Garage heaters - L'escargot
............. dry it out ............

Heat it by all means, but this won't actually remove moisture from the garage. Get a dehumidifier to extract moisture.
Recommend tree for garden - audiA6tdi
Can anyone recommend a tree to provide screening from the neighbours.
I like the look of a silver birch but these are not evergreen and i need all year round protection. Some conifers are quite ugly, but if anyone can recommend anything I would be grateful.
Please see the link - its the top left hand corner im looking to cover.
thanks

i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/auditdia6/DSC058...g
Recommend tree for garden - bathtub tom
Yes, nice loft conversion they've built to overlook you. Pity you didn't keep whatever it was it looks like you've chopped down. Has nothing grown since the drought when you took the photo?

I've used the dreaded leylandii. They'll grow rapidly to give cover, but you need to keep on top of them.
Recommend tree for garden - Clk Sec
Conifers, like the house at the back. Ask them how high they intend to let them grow - you might get away with planting just one on the left.

Clk Sec

Recommend tree for garden - Nsar
You didn't get much snow, did you?

Bit left field but a Eucalyptus is fast growing and evergreen. Tolerant of lots of soil conditions. The only thing is that they can be a little rangy so maybe alternate with confifers.

Recommend tree for garden - audiA6tdi

Taken last August!
There was an apple tree but i cut it down as it was nearly dead. Also a holly tree. But as we are having building work done and not moving in till about July im looking to start from scratch and get rid of anything thats dead or on its last legs.

Recommend tree for garden - maz64
We've got quite a big silver birch in the garden and at the moment, without leaves, it isn't doing much screening. Also, it keeps growing, despite only being half a tree due to neighbour cutting off anything overhanging his side.
Recommend tree for garden - henry k
...but a Eucalyptus is fast growing and evergreen. Tolerant of lots of soil conditions.
The only thing is that they can be a little rangy so maybe alternate with confifers.

I good friend of mine planted one and it grew at a very fast rate. He had it chopped down as he was fed up with dealing with leaves that do not rot easily.
Conifers will suck to water out of your garden. If you plant them they need to be quite a distance from the border else you risk a neighbour cutting the green bits off that will overlap their garden.
Recommend tree for garden - Altea Ego
A scots pine would be perfect for that role
Oil-fired central heating - maz64
...does anyone have it, and if so how do they feel about it? That is, is it something to be avoided at all costs if moving, or not?
Oil-fired central heating - Mapmaker
You will notice no difference at all. It's a central heating boiler that's powered by oil rather than gas.

1. You do need to check from time to time that there is oil present otherwise you run out. A bit like not running out of milk.

2. It's generally held to be more expensive than gas, but I haven't done the calculations for a while. However there's a reson that factories use gas and only oil when they cannot access the gas (pace this week's news stories). www.shell.co.uk/home/content/gbr/products_services.../ But then... it's generally installed in places where there is no gas.

3. You have your own supplies, so need not worry about the gas supply being interrupted.

4. snip sometimes nick the oil.

Edited by Pugugly on 12/01/2010 at 17:39

Oil-fired central heating - maz64
Thanks MM.
However there's a reson that factories use gas and only oil
when they cannot access the gas

Presumably though it's still cheaper than using electric storage heaters?
Oil-fired central heating - Altea Ego

Edited by Altea Ego on 12/01/2010 at 17:30

Oil-fired central heating - Pugugly
I have Oil Fired - it's good, price can vary, but if you puy at the right time you can be far cheaper than gas - Last years tank full in March lasted until today and cost me just under £400.00 - I topped up with a 1000 litres today and cost 493.00 - so a working annual total was around £500.00 - 4 bedrooms and I hate being cold.