99 1.4 Overheating Engine - smithy1980
I have had problems with my Rover for the past couple of weeks with an overheating engine...

I have had the thermostat replaced, which seems to have worked by bringing the temperature gauge down....BUT....

The water in my coolant tank is boiling over if the engine is left running for a little while 5-10 mins.....I have looked at the engine and when it gets too hot the fan motor kicks in but the fan does not spin/turn....

I have got another fan unit from the local scrap yard (I tested this whilst I was there and it works), but when In install this onto my car the same thing happens, the motor kicks in but the fan does not turn...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
99 1.4 Overheating Engine - Peter.N.
Possibly the fan relay or the connections to it.
99 1.4 Overheating Engine - smithy1980
Possibly the fan relay or the connections to it. <<

Sorry to sound so dense, but how would the fan motor still run then if the connections to it were broken/loose etc????
99 1.4 Overheating Engine - tony@tooting
Has the car got air con? Are you sure you are not just hearing another fan cut in?
99 1.4 Overheating Engine - John S
K series engine? These have a reputation for overheating/failed headgaskets. Shouldn't boil in 5 minutes. Needs a gasket leakage check.

JS
99 1.4 Overheating Engine - OG
I can't understand how the fan motor could be running but the blades not turning. If the blades were obstructed in any way the motor wouldn't run at all.

Rover's used to have a one way valve in the cooling system, just where the hose attaches to the inlet manifold, which sometimes sticks causing the engine to overheat but I'm with John S. I fear the bubbling you can see in the expansion tank is being caused by a blown head gasket.

If it's any help I had a MkI Astra that did this but loosening the cap on the expansion tank made the car driveable temporarily.