Buying first car, any tips? - Baz79
Hi there,

I'd like to buy my first car to get me to work and back. I'm 30 years of age and prepared to pay up to 7 grand. I want a car which is low maintenance, economical and which holds its value well.

I'm currently looking at 2005 1.6L honda civics with under 70000 miles on the clock. Is this a good starting point? What other models, years, specs, etc. should I consider? I'm willing to spend more on the car if its worth it in the long run regarding economy and problems etc.

Thanks very much for your help!

Barry
Buying first car, any tips? - perro
How's about the Mazda 3 www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=676
Buying first car, any tips? - FotheringtonThomas
I'm currently looking at 2005 1.6L honda civics with under 70000 miles on the clock.

I take it that you've seen a car you like, and are looking for "Oh yes, what a great idea!".
Is this a good starting point? What other models years specs etc. should I consider?

Fuel consumption (urban) 45.6 mpg
Fuel consumption (extra urban) 70.6 mpg
Fuel consumption (combined) 58.9 mpg
0 - 62 mph 9.3 seconds
Top speed 121 mph
Engine power 125 bhp
Engine torque 206 lbs/ft

tinyurl.com/yddznz4 or tinyurl.com/ye8qjh5
Buying first car, any tips? - tyro
>>I'd like to buy my first car to get me to work and back. I'm 30 years of age and prepared to pay up to 7 grand. I want a car which is low maintenance, economical and which holds its value well.

With those priorities, a Honda Civic 1.6 should meet your priorities. Also consider the Honda Jazz (either engine) and the Toyota Corolla. Don't rule out the Honda Accord, either - it's not that much more expensive, though the petrol engines are less economical. And of course, the Mazda 3.

Honda engines are solidly built, so don't rule out one with more miles on the clock.

Buying first car, any tips? - hj cpe
Hi Baz,

I noticed this posting last week. I've owned a 2003 Honda civic and now have a 2006 Mazda 3. To compare the two is fairly straight forward, the Honda engine is better and the car is more useful and more spacious inside. The Mazda is probably better to drive, especially if you're going to be on motorways and looks nicer (I think). The extra space in the Honda is really for people in the back seats, so that might be worth bearing in mind. However they are both good cars but you should definitely take a look at the Jazz - it'd be cheaper to run I think.

Also, I think you should be able to get a civic with lower mileage in your price range.

Hope this helps.