04 2.0 Cruise Control Cutting Out - MalcolmS42
On a long (over 400 miles) motorway journey in France recently, where the Cruise Control was more or less permanently engaged, it dropped out on numerous occasions, mainly I believe after I had made some sort of adjustment to it. The car is a Ghia X TDCi built in January 2004, and does not appear to have any other problems.
I was cruising most of the way at around 65-70MPH, and as stated, the Cruise Control suddenly switched off, and there was a severe decrease in speed, almost as if the engine had cut out, but it came back on instantly when I re-set the Cruise Control. I am not sure about all of the times this happened, but I did notice on several occasions,that it happened after I had either just temporarily adjusted the speed using the "Increase or decrease speed butttons" or had switched it off for a moment, possibly by using the brake, and then switched it back on. Sometimes it happened several times in succession, and other times went many miles without occuring.
This did not seem to happen after I returned to the UK, even though I travelled a further 100 miles again using Cruise Control. I was however probably travelling slightly slower in the UK, more like around 60MPH.
Does anybody have any idea why this should have occured, and what is causing the problem. As you can imagine, this could potentially be very dangerous if it occured when being closely followed by another vehicle, since there is a marked decrease in speed. without any warning.
04 2.0 Cruise Control Cutting Out - kithmo
It sounds like a dodgy connection somewhere. I would check the switches (and connections to them) on the clutch and brake pedal first, if those are ok then it could be the connections in the steering wheel (i.e. clockspring IIRC).
Keith
04 2.0 Cruise Control Cutting Out - Smileyman
This happened to me in the summer when driving across France, mainly on inclines, but not always. In the end I was so worried it might cause an accident I drove with my right foot - and 100 miles from Calais accidently let the speed reach 150kmh... I was caught by a radar trap. I did think I would be frog marched to the nearest cash machine to empty my bank account, but the fine was not high, perhaps my explanation and apology did the trick. No points either!

I reported the problem to the dealer (Nissan Primera) who re-set the onboard computer and this seems to have done the job - I've used the CC since in the UK without any problems, but not at 80mph as I don't want any points.