98 2.0 Sri - engine won't start - clicking noise - gvmllr
i got into the car this morning,turned the key. car wouldnt start. when i turn the key all im getting is like a continous clicking noise. is it possible that the starter motor could have frozen in this terrible weather we have got. i dont want to try to srtart it just incase the battery dies out on me. ive tried it a few times but like i said all im getting when i turn the ignition on is a clicking noise(continuous). any suggestions are welcome.

Edited by Webmaster on 20/12/2009 at 18:19

98 2.0 Sri - engine won't start - clicking noise - ajsdoc
Flat battery I'd think. Common things being common.
98 2.0 Sri - engine won't start - clicking noise - WorkshopTech
Battery RIP.
98 2.0 Sri - engine won't start - clicking noise - SpamCan61 {P}
Like they say, battery problem, you have enough battery charge to actuate the solenoid - hence the click - but not enough to turn the engine over. Low temperatures will show up any borderline battery very quickly.
hi guys thank you so much for the answers,ill try and get a new battery asap..ill keep you posted,once again..thank you.
98 2.0 Sri - engine won't start - clicking noise - Victorbox
Tip: You won't beat a genuine Vauxhall battery from a dealer either for quality, longevity or price.
hi all just an updat,i got a new battery,put it on..no luck starting. all im getting is a continous whirring noise..could it possibly be the starter motor at fault. ifso were abouts is the starter motor situated..thanks.
98 2.0 Sri - engine won't start - clicking noise - SpamCan61 {P}
Funnily enough ( OK not funny from your perspective... ) it did occur to me that maybe if the solenoid was not closing the starter supply contacts then you'd get the same symptoms. I had this on a cavalier mk3, for months I could 'fix' it by tapping the starter casing hard with alength of wood. Trickier on a x20xev Vectra as there's less room.

Anyway, the starter is pretty much underneath the inlet manifold, can only be accessed from underneath.
98 2.0 Sri - engine won't start - clicking noise - piston power
Put it in gear like 2nd and rock the car with handbrake off so the engine turns over then try to start it may start ok?

If started run up engine turn off and try to start? you may have a sticking solonoid it's a case of getting on your back in the snow to get at the starter!
98 2.0 car not starting. please help - gvmllr
hi all my car drove ok until this weather kicked in,got up one morning,loads of snow,freezing cold. tried starting car,wouldnt start. just got a continous clicking noise. advised to get new battery which i did,changed battery,turned ignition,car just making a whirring noise..told it might be the starter motor stuck due to the extreme weather. my mate came round today,noticed that the pipes had started to freeze,hes disconnected the pipes to see if they will defrost in the next few days. hes going to top up with coolent then try to start the car all be it may have to bump it. does these cars have a sort of feature were if the pipes start to freeze something will kick in and not let the car start. its very frustrating..please help.

{moves to existing question as relates to same problem}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 23/12/2009 at 18:46

98 2.0 car not starting. please help - RichardW
Hypothesis...

Battery done for, so starter not able to turn engine over.
No antifreeze, so engine frozen
New battery fitted, now plenty of power to turn engine over
Because the engine's frozen, the water pump is frozen, trying to turn it over has ripped the cambelt off
Valves now bent, and no compression hence whirring noise.

Check - is the crank pulley going round when you crank the engine? If so, and it just whirrs, then odds on you've wrecked the cam belt. If it's not turning then possible there's a fault with the starter - but normally the starter won't turn unless it's meshed with the ring gear....

hi richard thanks for your reply,we took the cambelt cover of and it seems to be fine. it was making a continous clicking noise at first,but when we changed the battery its making a whirring noise. could it be the selonoid is frozen. the car was running perfect before this bad weather. parked it up about 3 nights ago,got up on morning ,went to start it...just got a continous clicking noise. like i say new battery on just making a whirring noise.
98 2.0 car not starting. please help - vectra98sean
Did you find the answer for this,i have exactly the same problem since the cold weather,car froze and now just turns over and wont start as if its getting no fuel,im getting fault code 0505 for idle air control and there is a buzzing coming from it,the unit is only 2 years old,when i press the fuel pressure release valve it barely trickles out.
hi all just an update.the cars still not starting..tried new starter motor,new battery. still just making a clicking noise. ive towed it to my nieces drive,so my mate is going to work on it one day this week. the cams are turning ok the lights on dash are on as normal,the earth wires are ok in the earth wire housing,could it be a bad earth wire from the gearbox. when i turned the engine over yesterday the clicking noise was coming from the right side of the engine,just near the coilpack(right side of rocker cover)inside. i have a pic of similar engine but dont know how to upload,it would give somebody an idea of what im talking about..its frustrating. i could just go and get another car but i really like this car.anyway if anybody has any suggestions then contact me..thank you for the help guys..very much appreciated.
98 2.0 car not starting. please help - doofer
Rig a temporary earth using a jump lead between the battery negative and the engine. Dont disconnect the battery, clip the lead on top of the fitted clamp.
98 2.0 car not starting. please help - amethyst73

Hi, Just to say i am shocked that so many people are having the same problem with Vauxhall Vectra suddenly not starting after being parked. Yes the obvious battery and weather conditions are the obvious but from experience it is more serious.

I have an 06 SRI 2.2, and within the first weeks of purchasing it would not start,. Husband being a mechanic knew that it was not battery and not due to cold weather, this was serious the engine would only make a whirring noise like a fan. Luckily under warranty as vauxhall charged £300 just to link it to the computer. It was the Cam Chain and hundreds more onto the bill for timing chain - chain tensioners - gasket - cylinder block gasket - filter element - AND this was only at 20,000 miles (Not Good)

NOW ITS HAPPENED AGAIN 2 years later another 20,000 miles and its not starting completey dead engine only a clicking noise with the engine feeling solid. It seems SHOCKINGLY the Cams are only lasting 20,000 miles For an unknown reason as this car is well looked after. Now no longer under warranty so an expensive adventure with the Cam is ahead again and i will be taking this up with Vauxhall somehow !