Trying to get a good deal from Honda Main Dealer - Mikey Jay
I only use a car about three days a week and my 1990 Honda Prelude has a leaking steering rack and the mot place wanted their pound of flesh to get it through the MOT. So I thought "times up" and eventually went to a Honda main dealer who know me well and am buying a 2002 SE Sport 1.6 vtec Civic 3 door hatchback. Obviously they were keen to sell it to clear space and had it around for at least a month. They knocked 500 quid of the price and gave me £100 for the prelude which has had some rear arch welding done, and with the mot to run out in Jan, I didn't refuse. They want £4395 plus £150 to tax it. The car has a main dealer service history and drives well and is in good condition. I checked in Parkers (Nov 09 edition) and this price seems about right.

It was serviced by the last owner just over a year ago. Should I insist on it being serviced? Also the MOT has eight months to go. Should I be asking for one year MOT? The car has done 42K mileage with two owners. They are offering me the usual 12 month warranty. The clutch was changed by main dealer recently. Honda will do the equivalent of an AA inspection. Main dealers seem to be reluctant to show you bills and receipts but will show the service book to you, which you hope hasn't been stamped up during a tea break!! This dealer has been very good to me in the past, delivering spare parts direct to my address (at least 20 miles away).The car hasn't any mats and it just seems a bit naff not having any. I suppose that's why you always hear about dealers, "throwing in some mats" to seal the seal.

Be grateful for any sensible advice on what I should be asking for realistically. BTW When is the cambelt due for a change on this engine? Sorry about the odd accented capital A's before the pound signs in my post but I cant get rid of them!

Cheers,

Mikey.
Apologies. The OTR price for the car should be £4395 incl the road tax.

Mikey
Trying to get a good deal from Honda Main Dealer - Graham567
I've only ever got mats thrown in on a brand new car but theres no harm in being cheeky and asking them.
I cannot comment on the cambelt but i am sure there will be someone along soon to answer your query.
Trying to get a good deal from Honda Main Dealer - nortones2
Cambelt replacement (and tensioner plus water pump inspection) every 75000 miles or 96 months, whichever comes first, according to my Civic 52 reg service book. Sister has an 02 3 door Civic 'sport' due for cam belt service: quoted £195 including 1 years AA breakdown cover by main dealer. Seems reasonable. Our local guy main dealer says its important to get pukka Honda belt, not some facsimile. Whether she'll get around to it before she has a failure is another matter. Having had a Renault grenade the top end, she might:)

Edited by nortones2 on 16/12/2009 at 21:47

Trying to get a good deal from Honda Main Dealer - Bill Payer
It was serviced by the last owner just over a year ago. Should I insist
on it being serviced?

Well, the normal service interval on most Honda's is 12,500 miles or 12mths, whichever comes first. So it therefore ought to be serviced now.
Trying to get a good deal from Honda Main Dealer - Manatee
Yes, go for the service, it's not that cheap for a 7 year old car.

Good cars though - we have a 2002 1.6 auto 5 door - nothing has gone wrong with it, barring the flat battery last week after 'er left the interior light on.
Trying to get a good deal from Honda Main Dealer - Bill Payer
flat battery last week after 'er left the interior light on.

Even that's a surprise - I'm sure our old Jazz turned the interior light off after 15mins if it was left on (or maybe it was just if the door was left open?).
Trying to get a good deal from Honda Main Dealer - Manatee
It was one of the two "map lights" by by the mirror.
Trying to get a good deal from Honda Main Dealer - helicopter
You say that they are offerring the usual one year warranty.

If that is the Hondacare warranty then it is cast iron solid .

Why not be cheeky and ask for two years rather than the one.

I did that and got it with my last Accord Tourer and as a result saved myself payment for two new headlights ( misting as a result of a recall item that had not been done in warranty) .

I also did not have to pay when electric tailgate motor failed.

Both items were problems highlighted in HJ's CBCB and would probably have cost around £1000 if I had had them done at Main Agent prices..

Then I hydraulicked the car in floods last year 350 miles from home it was recovered , hire car provided , complete peace of mind.

Go on ask them........
Thanks very much guys for taking the trouble to reply. Helicopter--That's a good point. I'll try and get 2 years warranty if I can. No, they wouldn't do it!! I got a set of mats though. Yes it is Honda Care. I always find the Bexhill Honda dealer very good.
Trying to get a good deal from Honda Main Dealer - helicopter
Well done getting the mats - thats £30 against £ 200 or so the warranty would cost them.

Its an old bargaining ploy - ask for something expensive and they will counter by offerring something else cheaper.

Seriously , if its got a years Hondacare warranty I think you will not have a problem with a years peace of mind.

Hondas regularly top the reliability lists and Honda dealers are usually good to deal with because they see you as a long term customer and not someone to be fleeced at every opportunity.

I would go for it.....
Trying to get a good deal from Honda Main Dealer - fray bentos
Surely it would be cheaper in real terms to buy a new car?. Your £4.5K or so plus another £2k in scrappage(should qualify now or very soon)buys you maybe not a Honda, but a new Hyundai or Kia etc with 5 or 7 years warranty.
Trying to get a good deal from Honda Main Dealer - ifithelps
This post shows to me how much some used cars have gone up.

I'm sure the OP is paying around the right price, but a 2002 hatchback, even a desirable one like a Civic, would have fetched nothing like £4,500 a year ago.

I know, I sold one - a desirable 2002 hatchback, that is.