Refurbishing a steel wheel - Rattle
I need two new front tyres (so I get one good spare too) and my current spare is outside as the tyre has a puncture and is also ten years old. I itend to replace it with a brand new one and have the wheel on the front of my car the problem is it has a bit of rust on it. Can I safely sand the wheel down and respray it?
Refurbishing a steel wheel - andyp
That will be fine, it will only be surface rust.
Refurbishing a steel wheel - retgwte
you may be surprised how cheap a new steel wheel can be

compared with the hassle of sanding and painting the old wheel(s)
Refurbishing a steel wheel - George Porge
I did a couple for my trailer 12 months ago.

£1 for a wire brush to go in a drill off a market stall, loads of life left in the brush for other projects.

An £8 tin of hammerite, 2 coats and 3/4 of a tin left for other projects.

The wheels still look great even though the trailer its out in all weathers, wire brush before having the tyres fitted, paint after.
Thanks will do this tomorrow weather permiting. I already have all the stuff in for the job.

Refurbishing a steel wheel - bathtub tom
Don't get any paint under the wheel nuts or where it contacts the hub. The fresh paint can compress, effectively loosening the nuts.
Thanks I will mask off the areas around the hub :) It will be a few days until a tyre is fitted I suspect anyway. Shall I remove the old tyre or paint it with the old tyre on?
Refurbishing a steel wheel - freddy1
caution:

wheels are a major part of your car ,

caution should be made if buying indian or chinnesse ones ,

wheels should only be fitted in pairs , preferably on the back axle.

caution , you need to read the H&S report that is on the tin of paint , incorrect paint may cause failure ,and the paint being thrown from the wheel may cause damage (see H&S above)

although what we do in practice , is get the old tyre/valve removed , 2 mins with a wire brush , then a quick arosol of silver from Halfords {please note the correct way to spell it, and not the slang way which is not permitted here}, or get the "man" to take them down to the local coachpainters.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/12/2009 at 20:29

Refurbishing a steel wheel - 1400ted
Set of plastic trims...a few tie wraps...easy to keep clean...£10.
Seemples !

Ted
Refurbishing a steel wheel - bell boy
and a bit of matt black sprayed on the rust prior to wheely trim fitment so the rim showing through the holes looks mint through the trims

double seemples
Refurbishing a steel wheel - 1400ted
...and then, 5 minutes later, back in the house for a cup of tea abd a gypsy cream !

Treble seemples !..........or triple ?

Ted
Refurbishing a steel wheel - Victorbox
As suggested try ebay for Corsa 13" steel wheel. Plenty there that have never been out of the boot from cars that are being scrapped so are as new. I've just picked up a Corsa B steel wheel that's never been on the road with tyre and unused jack/tools in bag for £16.