05 1.8 Problems starting - aem
Hi folks,

I bought my 2005 Ford Mondeo 1.8 Zetec from Cargiant a couple of weeks ago and I seem to be having some problems with it.

These are two separate issues that I've noticed, though they may well be linked.

1) First, sometimes the car doesn't start properly. I turn the key, the electrics come on perfectly, I turn the key further, and (forgive my lack of technical knowledge!) the engine turns over but it doesn't start. I think it's that classic noise of a starter motor turning an engine but the engine not getting going. (Does that make sense?) It doesn't always do this. Sometimes it starts perfectly. It can happen when the engine is up to temperature as well as when it's cold.

2) I've only noticed this once. The car had been parked outside and not driven last week (it's been fairly cold - but not freezing - in the North of England). When I came to use it, I put the car into reverse to drive out of my parking bay and I heard a whirring/whining noise. The noise got louder when I revved. I got out of the bay, and put it into 1st. Within 5 seconds or so, the noise was gone and it hasn't been back since. In total, it can't have been there for much more than 20 seconds. Does anyone know what it might have been? Could it be linked to my first issue?

Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to help! :)
05 1.8 Problems starting - steady.eddie
Hi, after only two weeks you need to take it back to where it came
05 1.8 Problems starting - kd1973
Just last week I had the same problem with my mondeo, electrics come on with the starter motor turning but the engine not starting. With the cold weather this affected my battery which i have now replaced and everything is fine. Are you sure it is not the battery, i only replaced my battery after 9 years.

Not sure what the other issue is