99 1.8 Speeedo drops to 0 & stall when slows (drop - ged-i
Morning,

I recently bought the above (Zetec) from auctions.
This morning was my first real run out in it (10 mile trip to work)

Was traveeling along at about 70-75, when speedo dropped to 0 (for what seemed an eternity, was probably 10-20 secs) before coming back to life - rev counter/fuel & temp gauge all remained correct.

Any ideas on what this could be?

Also, as I approached work, I slowed down and dropped into 2nd and the engine stalled.
I had a problem like this on a fiesta i had previously and it turned out to be Idle sensor valve needed cleaning. Could this be the same sort of thing, or something more sinister?

Any advice greatfully received!!

Ged
99 1.8 Speeedo drops to 0 & stall when slows (drop - old crocks
My best guess is a faulty vehicle speed sensor.

This has been discussed here quite a lot over the years. If you put "vss" into the forum search you will get a dozen or more threads like this one -

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=63...7

I replaced the vehicle speed sensor on my 1999 Focus a couple of years ago and it cured similar symptoms. It was fiddly but only about £25 for the part.

The other possibility is a problem with the circuit board in the dash but start with the vss.
Thanks!
Thanks for this again... just to confirm, reading what is in this forum, it looks as though my 2 issues would be caused by the 0ne problem - do you agree?
99 1.8 Speeedo drops to 0 & stall when slows (drop - old crocks
Probably. My speedo cutting out problem went on for weeks. At random times it would drop to zero, usually associated with a slight reduction in power - after a while I could tell it had happened before looking down at the speedo to check. I assume the hiccup in power delivery was caused by the ECU not having speed info and having to revert to another setting.

I just lived with it for a while as the lack of speedo reading would only last for 10-20 seconds. Then the cut outs got longer. Finally it started to stall on gear changes occasionally.

The last straw was when it stalled as I changed down to make a turn. The power steering stopped working and I was lucky to complete the turn. Sorted it the next day!
this is exactly what to me happened, loss of power steering, stall on slow down/gear change down, albeit only this morning.
I have just been for a drive and speedo does not work at all now, and mileage has not increased at all....
Wondering if this was reason car was sold (although seems relatively easy to fix), but i'm also wondering what true mileage of car actually is!!
99 1.8 Speeedo drops to 0 & stall when slows (drop - mikej
My post in this thread gives you some hints and tips if you fancy tackling it yourself :

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=15028&...3

It's not for the faint-hearted though - the retaining pin on mine was VERY difficult to remove and took a lot of brute force to get it out.

I'd get it sorted ASAP if I was you - the lack of speedometer reading is merely an inconvenience compared to the dangers of losing power (ie. brakes and steering). There were a few photos knocking around a few years ago on the focusowners forums of a Focus that was involved in a nasty accident when it's vss failed on the motorway, causing a sudden loss of power. IIRC, it was rear-ended by a lorry and written off.