Damage starting in gear? - Diamond
Whenever I start any vehicle I always have the clutch depressed and the gearbox in neutral, to make for easier starting, however in my car manual (Focus) it says that if the car is in gear, even with the clutch depressed, it can cause damage, but does not go on to state what damage.

What damage can be done? On the rare :) occasions I stall the car, I sometimes restart in gear with the clutch depressed but all seems well?

Damage starting in gear? - bell boy
i think its just corporate bum covering
Damage starting in gear? - Altea Ego
The damage to your wifes car in front if your foot slips off the clutch while starting.
Damage starting in gear? - Old Navy
In gear won't do a DMF any good, or will stalling it, (if it has one). Foot on clutch shouldn't harm anything though.

Edited by Old Navy on 23/11/2009 at 14:26

Damage starting in gear? - Dave_TD
I was taught that it's better to start the engine with the clutch depressed, firstly because the starter motor is only turning the engine and not the idling transmission too and secondly in case the car has been left in gear.

Starting with my foot on the clutch has always been second nature, I also always leave my car in gear as a safeguard against parking brake failure.

If the clutch should fail, you have no choice but to start the car with a gear engaged anyway... I have had this happen more than once and nothing else has broken on the car as a result of my doing so.
Damage starting in gear? - Cliff Pope
I was taught that it's better to start the engine with the clutch depressed firstly
because the starter motor is only turning the engine and not the idling transmission too

>>>>

That doesn't necessarily reduce the load, it depends on the pressure exerted by the clutch release springs. You can test this by starting up and letting the car idle in neutral, then depressing the clutch. On some cars the revs dip, on some speed up.

On a cold day the gearbox drag will probably predominate, but starting when already hot the gearbox drag will be minimal but the clutch effect proportionally greater.

Damage starting in gear? - v8man
I always start with my foot on the clutch.

On some modern motorcycles you have no choice. The engine will not turn over unless the clutch is pulled in.
Damage starting in gear? - Armstrong Sid
If the clutch should fail you have no choice but to start the car with
a gear engaged anyway... I have had this happen more than once and nothing else
has broken on the car as a result of my doing so.

I once had a Saab 99 (early 1980s) which had a hydraulic clutch. It was always losing pressure - despite going back to the dealer several times - and so I often ended up with a floppy clutch pedal which did nothing. It happened so many times that I became an expert at starting in gear from stationary, not to mention travelling several miles entirely in second gear. The only dodgy thing was starting from a junction - in gear - and making sure there was no other car immediately in front to allow for the kangaroo effect.
Damage starting in gear? - L'escargot
Wear on the clutch release mechanism may be more of a problem than wear on the gearbox. And what about the wear on the soles of your Gucci shoes?
;-)

Actually, my Mk 1 Focus Owners Guide says start the car with the clutch pedal depressed and without touching the throttle pedal.