03 2.0 MAF sensor TDCi - ITman
Hi

I have uneven running when car is cold for the first 200 metres or so. I have had various checks done, and replaced a couple of parts but it is no better, but no worse. Nothing shows up on diagnostics. An article I read suggested cleaning the MAF sensor. I have checked both the haynes manuals, one for up to 2003 and one for July 2003 onwards, and they both show where it should be, my car was first sold in June 2003.
I have checked under the bonnet and there is no MAF sensor fitted. There is a space for it but this is blanked off. Can someone please check under their bonnet and see if they have a MAF sensor fitted for cars post JUne 2003. I cannot find any loose wires and would assume that it would not run if unplugged, so maybe there isn't one any more. Engine is a 2.0 Durotorq 115bh TDCi Mondeo. Location of the MAF is on the outlet side of the air filter, if you have one it is easy to see, if it is not there, you will have a raised area with two screw holes. 4B-6 in the haynes manual, I think.

Thanks
03 2.0 MAF sensor TDCi - StanTheMan78
ITman, what about fuel consumption? And smoke? Any abnormalities in these suggest that the car SHOULD be fitted with an MAF sensor (I don't know of any common rail diesel that does not have one!) but it has been removed instead of replacing it. Is it new or used? My dad's focus 1.8 TDCi has one...does having a 2 litre capacity warrant not having one? BOTH being Fords??
03 2.0 MAF sensor TDCi - StanTheMan78
www.youtube.com/watch?v=FccejDPevtM
03 2.0 MAF sensor TDCi - injection doc
Have the injectors been recoded? it sounds like they may of lost their code.
A good indy should be able to check this for you. One check you can do is when you start it cold try holding the rpm at 1150rpm & see if you detect a very slight misfire, it will need to be spot on the rpm, then check 2250rpm & just hold very steady whilst cold & see if there is a very slight misfire, if there is then the injectors have lost a code. Normally drops at about 60-70k miles
check the AFM & the wires too it. Also check the fuel filter & lines to ensure they are air tight.
Try a can of Comma Diesel injector magic ( from halfords) in 3/3rds tank of fuel & don't top up untill very low. If this cures it or improves you will know you may have a problomatic injector
Thanks for all your replies.

I have had the fault for about 18 months, doesn't really cause a problem, just a bit annoying. The injectors were checked and two replaced at that time. EGR valve has been replaced. Diesel Bob has recently tested the car and found no fault that shows on the diagnostics.

MAF sensor does not look as though there ever was one in place. Have checked all around to see if there is a lead hanging anywhere that should go to one, no signs of one. My worry was that maybe the filter holder had been replaced and the MAF left off. But as there is no sign of a wire I am not too sure. Assume that the car would not run with the wire hanging anyway.

Thats why I was wondering if it has been removed on post 2003 Mondeos. Thats why I asked if someone could look under the bonnet and see if they have one on a post 2003 2.0 Duratorq TDCi Mondeo.

Great video on how to clean one, but not much good if you haven't got one. Does show where it should be though.
Hi

I have checked on another site and they seem to say that on some mondeos there was no MAF sensor fitted. Something to do with the type of Turbo !!

So I may have answered my own question.