Screaming fan belt - medskipper

My fan belt keeps screaming on the Eunos mx5 mk1.

I have had it tightened up by a couple of different garages but they don't seem to want to replace for me? I have been told that its very difficult because they have to strip out quite a bit of engine to do the job! they just don't want to know, or is something else worn out?

Does anyone know of a good mx5 engineer that would do this job for me at a reasonable price? I live in Surrey, Epsom area.

Many Thanks
Screaming fan belt - Pugugly
www.honestjohn.co.uk/directory/index.htm?mk=&ct=&p...=

Have a look in here.
Screaming fan belt - ifithelps
Dribbling a little water on it while its running may stop it squeaking at least temporarily.

This 'fix' has been known to work for a good few months, so you might be lucky.

Screaming fan belt - henry k
My indie spayed some sort of anti squealing belt dressing stuff from a can.
Try a local factor and see if they have it in stock.
Screaming fan belt - Armitage Shanks {p}
I would have thought that squealing means slipping and you say it isn't tension so I would suggest it is moisture (condensation - does the car live in the open). If it helps suggests watering it and says that it works - I would think that drying the pulleys might help.
Screaming fan belt - gordonbennet
I had a similar horrible sqealing on the drive belt of the MB, my indy has used the spray suggested before but hasn't found it to be of much use over time.

He fitted a new one which was just as bad within a week, fitted another new one and that is still silent some 6 months later, he can't fathom it either.

Think you'll have to find a proper indy Medskipper, quite where i don't know but you could start by consulting the good garages guide above.
Screaming fan belt - martint123
It's no more than 30 minutes to change the belt on an early MX-5. I did mine earlier this year after failing with the normal bodges of water and wd40 (which at least showed which belt was making the noise). Change both while you're at it, but get the right ones depending on power steering yes/no and A/C yes/no.

Screaming fan belt - ifithelps
...If it helps suggests watering it and says that it works - I would think that drying the pulleys might help....

The moisture causes the fibres present in most belts to shrink.

Dousing the pulley and belt in lots of water will cause it to slip.

Screaming fan belt - medskipper

Many Thanks for all your replies

Medskipper