How many men does it take to change a light bulb?! - meldrew
Daughter phoned me, Dad one of my headlight bulbs has gone can you
put another one in for me please?

Yes, of course dear (that's what fathers are for isn't it?)

Daughter duly arrived shortly afterwards. Checked handbook. Ominously
it said see you Audi dealer. Checked internet. First remove entire headlight
assembly......

Now fortunately I live in a small town where people are helpful so I decided
on the act daft routine and went down to my local car accessories shop.

Frankly it was a sod of a job but he was happy to do it and learn from it. I
learn't too but for a tenner I will go back there again if necessary!

Is this what is called "progress"? German designers now seem every bit as bad as the French!

How many men does it take to change a light bulb?! - honeybear
The 2008 Focus is the same but it tells you in the handbook how to do it, not had to do it yet although it seems simple enough.
How many men does it take to change a light bulb?! - ifithelps
The handbook of the CC3 says the headlight comes out after removing one screw - can't be too hard.

So my answer to the OP's question is two men.

One to change the lightbulb and another to tell you it's easier on a Focus.

How many men does it take to change a light bulb?! - Westpig
wife's X type estate:

2 men...one to twist his arm to an impossible angle and take all the skin off his knuckles... the other to stand there laughing at the obscenities offered...and to supply the antiseptic cream and plasters afterwards

-nearside was reasonable once you'd removed the fusebox
-offside was near impossible, with all the fixed metal pipes from the brake cyclinder

why do manufacturers do this?
How many men does it take to change a light bulb?! - Armitage Shanks {p}
I thought there was at least one modern Audi where a headlight bulb change required removal of the front bumper?
How many men does it take to change a light bulb?! - drbe
Mercedes E Class

Unscrew the large plastic lid on the back of the headlamp (bit like a jam pot cover) put fingers inside, remove old bulb, replace with new bulb. Time about three minutes. swearing is not necessary, but you can if you feel you need the practice.
How many men does it take to change a light bulb?! - Hamsafar
They can now make headlights better than HIDs (such as on the new Lexus) with just 8 LEDs per side but at a cost of $2000 a pair, I suspect that in 3 years time, replacing bulbs will be a thing of the past and it will require a new lamp assembly.
Also now as after market lights...
900 lumens per single LED, bearing in mid an H7 bulb is ~1500-2100 lumens.
e.g.www.visionxusa.com/led/patriot/

Edited by Hamsafar on 12/11/2009 at 20:36

How many men does it take to change a light bulb?! - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Changed all four bulbs recently on my facelift Octavia. Headlight removal is quick and easy and does not require tools. This gives easy access to the bulbs.
Waste of time changing the bulbs though. The allegedly brighter bulbs are not noticeably better IMHO .
How many men does it take to change a light bulb?! - Avant
The standard headlamps on my Octavia are probably the most powerful I've ever had on a car. Good to know they're easy to change.
How many men does it take to change a light bulb?! - rtj70
I had to get a bulb changed on an Audi A4 in early 2000 on I think a 1999 car (temp allocation). Audi had it in the workshop for at least 45 minutes to change the bulb! But to answer the question in the thread title: one. But that one is someone who took 45 minutes and knew how to do it. :-)
How many men does it take to change a light bulb?! - grumpyscot
But that one is someone who took 45 minutes and knew how to
do it. :-)

Or who was under pressure by his bosses to string it out for as long as poss then present you with a hefty bill! Not unknown in an Audi dealers!
How many men does it take to change a light bulb?! - DP
If I were in power, I would make it a fundamental condition of type approval that headlamp bulbs must be replaceable, at the roadside, without tools.

I understand that modern underbonnet layouts are cramped, and that it might sometimes be necessary to place components hard against the back of the headlights, but recent experience with a Volvo V50 showed that some thought applied to the headlamp installation itself means this doesn't need to be a problem. On this car (and doubtless others) you can simply pop the complete headlamp unit out by removing a metal pin, replace the bulb with all the space in the world, then slide the unit back in and refit the pin. A 2 minute job.

Poor access to a simple consumable such as a bulb is little more than poor design and engineering. It should not be excused, or allowed.
How many men does it take to change a light bulb?! - rory
Not only that but Volvo's website has a short video/picture-board showing you how to do it and other minor maintenance such as changing wiper blades etc
How many men does it take to change a light bulb?! - rtj70
Or who was under pressure by his bosses to string it out for as long as poss then present
you with a hefty bill! Not unknown in an Audi dealers!

they didn't charge anything at all - not even for the bulb.
How many men does it take to change a light bulb?! - barney100
Not all German manufacturers require dismantling the whole car to change a bulb, Mercedes are easy, off with a cover and a spring clip, scrape knuckles and its done. It takes 4 Australian mechanics to change a bulb, one does it and the others say good on yer mate............
How many men does it take to change a light bulb?! - Peter D
Meldrew, what model and year of Audi was it.
Regards Peter
How many men does it take to change a light bulb?! - meldrew
In reply to Peter D - A 2005 A4 Estate.

Thanks for others interesting responses!

Edited by meldrew on 14/11/2009 at 20:00

How many men does it take to change a light bulb?! - gordonbennet
Hilux is a doddle, but unless you're 7 ft tall you need to stand on something to reach over to the fittings.

Agree with previous comments, no car should be allowed type approval unless something as simple as any external bulb change can be accomplished at the roadside with tools supplied in the toolkit.
How many men does it take to change a light bulb?! - Peter D
To get the sleek look and aerodynamics into the design something has to give and it's access to the rear of the headlights. Gone are the days of the chrome ring a small screw and the headlight falls out into you hand. Regards Peter
How many men does it take to change a light bulb?! - dieselfitter
Agree with earlier comments re. type approval.

Audi seem to be the villains here - and I'm not impressed with my new A6 either. Handbook gives no instructions on headlamp bulb change other than taking the car to your Audi dealer "as engine components may need to be removed". Access to the n/s headlight is completely obstructed by air intake trunking, which I haven't yet figured out how to remove (haven't needed to change a bulb yet).

My Mondeo III got around this by having headlamp units that are easily removeable from the front, no tools required. Some manufacturers have common sense, whilst others seem to need a kick up the backside.
How many men does it take to change a light bulb?! - Roly93
Its true that some Audis are a pig to change bulbs in. My 2004 B6 A4 was very difficult to change the rear and headlight bulbs. My 2007 B7 A4 is a bit better, (they must have listened to the punters), now it tells you in the manual how to do them.

Nevertheless changing bulbs on Audis is still not for the faint hearted, as I did a brake light on my car last week.
How many men does it take to change a light bulb?! - Alby Back
As mentioned above, couldn't be simpler on my Mondeo but it states in the handbook on my Qashqai which has xenons that it's a dealer only job. I wonder what's so hard about it ? Must be something or maybe it's that elf again ?