04 2.0 EGR Valve Problem - andygib
My Mazda garage confirmed that the engine malfunction light was due to the EGR valve and wanted to charge me £400+ for a new valve. The car isn't driving badly but does have idle problems occasionally and can stall at low revs.

I have read elsewhere on this site that the EGR valve can be cleaned and that there is EGR valve cleaner available which I have located at my local motor factors. My problem is how do I find where to spray this cleaner as the guys in the motor factors had no idea and I don't know where the air intake hose is located. The car is a diesel. Can anyone help?

Edited by andygib on 06/11/2009 at 17:48

04 2.0 EGR Valve Problem - cj1000
hi i wouldn't think the valves at fault most likley the pipe has come loose on the egr valve. if you look under the bonnet in the middle of the engine bay, the just below the right hand side of the engine cover you'll see a lrge metal pipe with a plastic conector there shuold be a vac hose fitted if its loose/ adrift refit and tighten with a cable tie remove codes and try. if hose ok the vac pump out let can get blocked with carbon there is a mod for this fault your local dealer should know (will be 1/2 to 1hours labour), the only other thing is the vac solinods (i ve never known an egr go on a 6 faulty seen lots not needed to be replaced though) I would n't reconmend spraying valve cleaner into the intake as may cause more probs and would be burnt before it reached the egr valve you could take off the valve and clean it would only work for a short time though.
hope this helps you
04 2.0 EGR Valve Problem - Kaimal
Hi Mate

I had a 04plate Mazda 6 and had similar problem to yours. My car would stall at traffic lights and check engine light would turn on every now and then.

you can read about my experience on
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=73571&...1
and
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=78...7
under the name "Kaimal"

The mazda main dealer asked me to get the EGR valve replaced and he said, this would fix the car. But after i got the EGR valve replaced with 2 weeks the car would not even start. Then mazda main dealer told me the fuel pump could be causing the problem and I should take my car to Feather diesel. Read more on my thread above.

Hope you have better luck than me, with Mazda 6.

Regards
Kaimal