96 1.8 ignition switch? - boxxy
Hi I am new to this I have a probelm with the ignition, the key turns fine either on or off but it does not turn the starter motor. There is no spring back from the switch when you turn the key to start it, it feels as though the ignition swicth is seized or faulty. When I turn it off and remove the key the ignition lights are still on, cannot get access to the starter motor terminals to short them out to see if the car will start. I have disconnected the battery so not to flatten the battery. I think I may need a new ignition swicth if so how do I change it. Many thanks Boxxy
96 1.8 ignition switch? - topbloke
i expect that you will find that the end of the barrel has snapped off, remove the steering cowl put the key into the barrel turn to the second position and then you will need to look carefully at the outer casing for a small hole push a small pin or a allenkey into the hole and the barrel should pull out, this is where you need to know how a new one should look like, if you have a look around the vauxhall forums you may find a how to with some pic's,Regards TB
96 1.8 ignition switch? - Dynamic Dave
if you have a look around the vauxhall forums you may find a how to with some pic's Regards TB

Will this do:-

www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1225657771

Different car, but basically the same principle.
96 1.8 ignition switch? - Victorbox
If it's not springing back it could be the switch at end of lock barrel tinyurl.com/y98zoow
on the omega set of pic's, bottom picture look at the spring on the left between the end of the spring and the end of the barrel looking left thats the bit that breaks not allowing you to turn ing on or of , for the price of a switch i would change it anyway if indeed its the barrel thats broken,Regards TB
Cheers TB, Ignition barrel was the probelm, changed it sweet as a nut. Now i have a fault with the electronic immobilizer [flashing] the car turns over but wont start anyway around it without having to go to a vauxhall dealer many thanks boxxy
in the key is a chip if you have a new/secondhand barrel and key the vehicle wont recognise the chip swap the chip from one key to the other it looks like a small piece of lead from a pencil oblong in shape
images11.fotki.com/v211/photos/4/42787/2548573/TSX...g

its the oblong bit in the middle with the edge shaved off this is the bit that you need to swap for goodness sake dont break it getting out of the old key ,regards TB

Edited by Webmaster on 13/11/2009 at 01:03

Hi TB its me again boxxy the barrel was changed last year by crappy garage and he taped the old original key next to the barrel. Do you thunk ill have move the key and do i have to remove the chip from the new secondhand key so that there is only one chip there. I thought you could not turn the engine over with the wrong chip in. Thanks Boxxy the pest
various ways you can do it remove chip from new key and remove chip from old key that is taped to barrel and fit to new key, leave taped key where it is (insurance would love that) and remove chip in new key if it has one, the engine will crank and very briefly fire up then the light starts flashing,regards TB
Hi TB thanks for your help everything was spot on job done car back on the road removed the chip from the new key and away she went and thanks to all others with advice. WHAT A GREAT SITE BOXXY
96 1.8 ignition switch? - Victorbox
More on Vauxhall chips and ignition keys here with photos.
www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2...4
thanks for all the advice boxxy